Why become a member? ×

MarkBass Combo or Traveller and Head?

Linus27

Just posting this to see if any one has any pointers or thought on what choice I should make. If in fact anyone has either of the two options and can share positive or negative thoughts.

I'm thinking about getting a small, lightweight but fairly powerful setup to take to certain gigs. My band this year will be playing quite few showcase type gigs where we turn up, plug in, line check and then play for say 30 minutes. So setup time and in some cases, space might be limited. Rather than drag my Barefaced Two10 and Ashdown RM Evo rig out, I'm thinking something easier and more portable. We are sort of like an MTV unplugged type thing but I am electric fretless bass so not a loud rock band.

Top of my list is a MarkBass CMD121H v4 combo which has a 12" speaker putting out 300w. I should be able to carry it in one hand, bass in the other and pedals over my back. Plus it will be pretty much plug in and play. However, the other option is a MarkBass Traveller 2x10 which has a slightly smaller and lighter footprint. The trade off however is I would need to still bring a small head (I have a Warwick Gnome I Pro already) and spend the time plugging in etc. I know it's not a biggy but it's still more cables, stuff to bring along and set up.

Having never owned either of these products, how do they compare? Is the 1x12 Combo efficient enough or a bit of a wet blanket and the 2x10 a better choice. Would be interested if anyone can share any thoughts or experience.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Smanth said:

I’m (sadly not having had the opportunity to try) not experienced enough to advise, but I believe that how low you go might affect your choice also, do you play with a low B?

S’manth x

No low B, just a 4 string fretless but my tone is round and smooth, more Motown and I do use an octave pedal.

• Like 1

I bought a Markbass CMD 121 P over lockdown. I've played it at a few gigs and rehearsals and am very impressed with it's sound and how much volume it can put out. It can compete with two guitarists and a loud drummer.

At one blues gig I depped on, I brought my Barefaced compact as well as the Markbass. I ended up disconnecting the Compact as it was overkill - the Markbass combo managed fine all on it's own.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gjones said:

I bought a Markbass CMD 121 P over lockdown. I've played it at a few gigs and rehearsals and am very impressed with it's sound and how much volume it can put out. It can compete with two guitarists and a loud drummer.

At one blues gig I depped on, I brought my Barefaced compact as well as the Markbass. I ended up disconnecting the Compact as it was overkill - the Markbass combo managed fine all on it's own.

Thank you, this is great to hear.

I have a couple of 102p traveller cabs, and I’ve used a 12 combo a lot at rehearsals. The traveler cabs definitely have the edge over the single 12 combo for me. They are also less awkward to move. My vote would be the 2x10 and the gnome. 
Also, bear in mind the 2x10 traveler cabs are not all the same, I have an Italian one and a later Indonesian one, and the later one is significantly lighter and easier to move. My Italian cab is a lump in comparison.

• Like 1

I've had both seperate MB heads and cabs and the combo equivalent, the CMD121P which I augment with a NYC121 if needed. If looking for a smooth sound MB seem to fit.

The brand new range seems even lighter cabwise and the options seem to then be neo or non neo drivers and I have no experience of them I'm afraid.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2023 at 10:47, Linus27 said:

Rather than drag my Barefaced Two10 [...]

However, the other option is a MarkBass Traveller 2x10 which has a slightly smaller and lighter footprint. The trade off however is I would need to still bring a small head

Why are you considering a MarkBass 102 cab when you already own the Barefaced Two10?  The Barefaced is already smaller, lighter, and has less footprint than the MarkBass.

• Like 1

If you've already got the BF Two10 and an Ashdown RM head you already have one of the very lightest rigs out there.

If you want to cut down set up time then the only option left is a combo. 

The MB 121P gets a lot of love on here, but the brand new M58 version of the Mini 121P (and Pure, etc etc) are even lighter. There's 300W and 500W versions.

I don't think anyone has tried one of the M58 versions yet and all the shops are awaiting stock but as you've already got a light rig I'd be waiting to try one of the new combos.

I believe there is a 2x10 version as well, but they are quite a bit larger that what you've already got.

You might as well duck tape your ashdown to your Two10 and leave it connected!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

If you've already got the BF Two10 and an Ashdown RM head you already have one of the very lightest rigs out there.

If you want to cut down set up time then the only option left is a combo. 

The MB 121P gets a lot of love on here, but the brand new M58 version of the Mini 121P (and Pure, etc etc) are even lighter. There's 300W and 500W versions.

I don't think anyone has tried one of the M58 versions yet and all the shops are awaiting stock but as you've already got a light rig I'd be waiting to try one of the new combos.

I believe there is a 2x10 version as well, but they are quite a bit larger that what you've already got.

You might as well duck tape your ashdown to your Two10 and leave it connected!

This

• Like 1

Thanks for the input and feedback everyone. I'm going to go for a combo as this was my original thought as it will be quicker to take to the gigs I'll use it at and it can be my main practice amp for at home, replacing my little Ashdown combo that I could sell. As I say, combo in one hand, bass in the other and my small pedalboard over my shoulder. I'll wait to see what the new M58 combo's are like first as well before purchasing anything. 

5 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Why are you considering a MarkBass 102 cab when you already own the Barefaced Two10?  The Barefaced is already smaller, lighter, and has less footprint than the MarkBass.

For some reason I thought the Traveller 2x10 was a fair bit smaller but it appears it's not so apologies for that. I would make not sense getting one. So I'm going to go for a combo instead.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I quite fancy the idea of one of the M58 combos myself - I just wish the heads had a compressor in them, then I wouldn't need to take a pedal and power for it.

LITTLE MARK 58R

"This amp features updated 4 band EQ section, the new bi-band limiter......"

It may not be a fully featured compressor, but I bet it sounds alreet.

2 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

LITTLE MARK 58R

"This amp features updated 4 band EQ section, the new bi-band limiter......"

It may not be a fully featured compressor, but I bet it sounds alreet.

I did ask them about the limiter - and it's not even like the good old boss pedal, a lot more subtle... and then I kind of bought one in my AG1000 head.

It doesn't do a lot.

I really like the AG1000 - it's a lovely amp, but if that Limier just had a bit more squish it would have been perfect.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2023 at 18:07, fretmeister said:

I did ask them about the limiter - and it's not even like the good old boss pedal, a lot more subtle... and then I kind of bought one in my AG1000 head.

It doesn't do a lot.

I really like the AG1000 - it's a lovely amp, but if that Limier just had a bit more squish it would have been perfect.

I'm not convinced this is a "new" limiter at all. Markbass has been stating its amps have a new bi-band limiter ever since it was introduced when the LM3 replaced the LM2 in 2009.

20230117_095421.jpg.929fa8b62e26059cbeed5ce798033fcc.jpg

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

I'm not convinced this is a "new" limiter at all. Markbass has been stating its amps have a new bi-band limiter ever since it was introduced when the LM3 replaced the LM2 in 2009.

20230117_095421.jpg.929fa8b62e26059cbeed5ce798033fcc.jpg

Some of the newer amps now have a Limiter control knob on them. So at least it is now adjustable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Some of the newer amps now have a Limiter control knob on them. So at least it is now adjustable.

Yes, I think that's a response to any criticism that the limiter cuts in rather abruptly. The control probably allows users to adjust the limiter from "off" to the non-adjustable amp's "full on" setting.

Edited by Sparky Mark

On 10/01/2023 at 18:07, fretmeister said:

It doesn't do a lot.

The 1000 watt Markbass heads are incredibly powerful and the limiter won't kick in before you approach its maximum output even with the limiter control at Max. Sounds like a compressor would give the squish you desire and the Markbass Compressore is a brilliant one.

18 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

The 1000 watt Markbass heads are incredibly powerful and the limiter won't kick in before you approach its maximum output even with the limiter control at Max. Sounds like a compressor would give the squish you desire and the Markbass Compressore is a brilliant one.

I have dozens of compressors. The Cali76, DG SS, Empress etc etc.

I like the Boss BC-1X better than any of them. It's magical. I'd just like to not need to take it with me at all!

• Like 1