Why become a member? ×

Ashdown

birdy

[quote name='birdy' post='471207' date='Apr 24 2009, 12:47 AM']Just seen a pub band and the bass player had some sort of Ashdown combo. Sounded awful. Anyone gigging with Ashdown and getting good results? Maybe I am just not listening hard enough but it just sounded 'dull'?

Steve[/quote]

You mean it was working and hadn't caught on fire??

I sold my Genz Benz head and bought an Ashdown ABM RC500 EVO II after hearing a band a couple of months ago. The guy was using a MAG head and a 4x10 NAG cab with a US Jazz and it was the sound I've been searching for. I've done 3 gigs with it and love the tone I'm getting from it with my Sadowsky. It is more old school and thumpy but that's what I want in my blues band.

I use it with the 'bright' button engaged though - sounds better IMHO.

Sometimes it's just down the the player and his settings. I've heard a guy make a Mesa 210 stack sound lacklustre, but to this day one of the best bass sounds I've heard was from this guy playing a chaeap Ibanez ATK into a Peavey TKO or TNT in some pub somwhere.

I've never gigged with an Ashdown, but every time I've tried one I've found its sound to be pretty clear and punchy.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='471257' date='Apr 24 2009, 07:22 AM']I use it with the 'bright' button engaged though - sounds better IMHO.[/quote]
It's an EQ preshape that boost the highs and lows whilst scooping mids (+8dB @ 50Hz & 4kHz, -8dB @ 400Hz, filter slope - 6dB/octave). I find using a neck pickup with a pick sounds delicious with this engaged.

Regarding it sounding dull when you saw it - yeah it can happen. My experience is that if you leave the EQ flat it isn't particularly bright, boosting the treble solves that (that's what it's there for :)).

Just about any head/cab/combo can be made to sound bad, and of course you have to take into account that the sound one player wants may not be the sound [i]you[/i] want. I currently own an ABM500 head and an Epifani UL502, and through the same cab (a Barefaced Compact) I'd say the ABM has the edge for most things for the sound I'm after. Oh, and it's certainly no less bright than the UL502.

Edited by 4000

Been gigging my Classic Rig 3-4 times a month for the last couple of years and was using ABM for about 6-7 years before that. Love the Ashdown tone(Ampeg with definition is how i see it) and touch wood never had any other issues either, i just love how it fits in with the band, doesnt get lost but doesnt overpower the mix. Cant't see me using anything else for quite awhile, although that new 320 watt valve head sure looks tempting. . . .

Happy with my MAG300 2x10T combo. Then again, I tend to play with a sound that I call "no teeth" - i.e. not bright or attacking at all, so this might not be the sort of sound the OP was looking for. (I wasn't gigging last night by the way!).

A mate of mine is borrowing it at the weekend so maybe I can get an independent evaluation from him.

Anyway, for me it suits me fine, but doesn't do my back much good when lifting it in and out of the car!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='471310' date='Apr 24 2009, 09:47 AM']Happy with my MAG300 2x10T combo. Then again, I tend to play with a sound that I call "no teeth" - i.e. not bright or attacking at all, so this might not be the sort of sound the OP was looking for. (I wasn't gigging last night by the way!).

A mate of mine is borrowing it at the weekend so maybe I can get an independent evaluation from him.

Anyway, for me it suits me fine, but doesn't do my back much good when lifting it in and out of the car![/quote]

That is [b]precisely [/b] the reason I eventually went the Superfly route.

Infinitely more manageable. :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='471327' date='Apr 24 2009, 10:19 AM']That is [b]precisely [/b] the reason I eventually went the Superfly route.

Infinitely more manageable. :D :)[/quote]
Surely an infinitely manageable amp would actually carry itself to gigs..? :rolleyes:

[/pedant]

[quote name='Krysbass' post='471470' date='Apr 24 2009, 01:12 PM']Using an Ashdown Superfly 500 and a couple of Yamaha 2x10's. It sounds fine and is very portable. The amp gets a bit hot after an hour or so, but a small battery powered fan sorts that out.[/quote]

Sounds like a fire waiting to happen :)

Interesting that a lot of you are using these to good effect. My recollections are that they can be deemed to be unreliable, it appears from this thread that perhaps that is not so true and they are in fact good solid workhorses?

Steve