Why become a member? ×

Ashdown

birdy

[quote name='Pookus' post='471831' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:19 PM']I play thru an ABM EvoII 900 head and ABM 810 cab. Sound is awsome (even been told to turn the volume down at a festival 'cause it was competing with the PA!) Used the head in the studio too (even with my double bass thru it sounding good). I don't reckon you can judge an amp (or manufacturer) on the evidence of one bassist at a gig. My rig sounds like pants at the Beercart in Canterbury for example, because any bass at all triggers the stupid f***king sound limiter and I have to play really quietly with the bass turned right down.[/quote]

Oh and I forgot to mention. I really like the sound I get from my Ashdown gear which is why I bought it. But I HATE the styling! It's like some crappy wanna be American thing with that wing logo and blue facia. I'm tempted to customise mine and get rid of the offending appearance (though I appreciate loads like it and fair play to them)

MAG 300H + 4x10" owner here :) No trouble with it at all, usually have to keep it at 33% output, due to PA being sucky. In my personal experiences, this amp can sound heavenly (Can keep definition, brightnes and clarity even tuned to G#-C#-F#-B-E) in one setting and like a 50-year old rust-bucket tractor in another. I have to spend at least 30minutes to get my tone in shape, if my eq was fiddled with even the slightest, otherwise it can sound worse than my Hiwatt 10w combo(Maybe too harsh of an comparison, but still - quite bad).

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='471988' date='Apr 25 2009, 03:32 AM']Not finding it funny eh? Why? Did yours catch on fire? :rolleyes:[/quote]

:)

Mines usually on all day at band practise, I let anyone use it at gigs so it's on for a good stint being pushed and I've never had any problems, nor have I heard of heard of any combustion issues.

[quote name='The_D' post='471637' date='Apr 24 2009, 02:54 PM']Another dude running a Superfly here.

I have stripped all the gubbings off my superfly and now it fits perfectly in my gig bag. I can load in and out in one go without the Marshall :) Effects in one hand the 2x10 in the other and bass/amp on my back :rolleyes:

And about the overheating thing. I just switch it off between sets and it cools down fine. It only overheats because it doesnt have a built in fan. Our powered PA speakers heat up just as bad.[/quote]

I left the outer casing on my Superfly, because I figured that with the side pieces being cast metal (iron probably) they were probably acting as heat-sinks to take the heat away, but then taking the outer casing off probably helps air-circulation, therefore also improving cooling? - I'm tempted to give that a try now.

I also switch the amp off between sets or if we're taking a break at rehearsals. I only have to resort to using the battery powered fan if the ambient air temperature is warm and the amp has been running for an hour or more. - The fan does the trick and even looks quite good, clipped onto the front of my rig! :D

[quote name='Bigwan' post='471753' date='Apr 24 2009, 06:16 PM']I hear a lot of people say they have to tweak their amps to venues - I must be the odd one out. I run the ashdown combo totally flat, gain up about 3/4, drive at 1/2, volume to taste. That's it.[/quote]

+1 Exactly what I do. I don't like EQing any amp beyond a minimal tweak and the Ashdown sounds great flat. I haven't gigged anything else for 5 years.

Ashdown bass equipment is great!

used loads of it from abm to mag to their jlo dist. pedal.

I currently use a perfect ten combo for house practice and acoustic sets - as the tin says perfect ten!

if it wasn't for the fact I was 40 a couple of years ago and picked up most of my ampeg kit for it, then I most certainly would be using ashdown full out at this time.

the abm 810 is the best looking 810 on the market adn the mag 810 is the single best value in terms of construction, tone and price I have ever seen!

andy

Edited by andy67

Another weekend of trusty service from my abm combo! However I'm considering retiring it to home practice only (don't have an amp at home atm). A 300 watt amp is total overkill for what I'm using it for (basically a personal monitor and DI). Also don't like leaving it in our drafty, damp practise room. I've a Line6 studio 110 coming and it'll take over if it sounds the part... it's small and light enough (12" cube, 24lbs) to not have to worry about carting around! Keep feeling like I'm cheating on the abm though - how weird is that!

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta AMB EVO II n 1x15 ABM. Built like tanks (whats all this bursting into flame talk...?!) and the grindy valve kicks ass. I find the EQ a bit weird though. The low strings sound MASSIVE and beefy, while the top strings sound quite bright n twangy. Its fine for like R*CK gigs (all the lows) or slap (where the twang sounds sweeeeeet and the incoinsistancy in tone is a help) but for like jazz where you want even across the board it has this jump in tone. Maybe im just a bad EQer and shud put less of a curve on it, if you guys are saying they sound great with a flat EQ? Quarms aside it still gives a decent sound and kills for most gigs. Seeing as i invested in it i just wanna make it work!

Its tough with an EQ on the bass, on the head (with those sliders too... hmmmm...), and on the PA - can make life interesting sometimes!

Any thoughts?

P.S. Mine hasnt spontaneously combusted yet.... Will it?!

[quote name='muppethenry' post='480626' date='May 6 2009, 07:54 AM']I gotta AMB EVO II n 1x15 ABM. Built like tanks (whats all this bursting into flame talk...?!) and the grindy valve kicks ass. I find the EQ a bit weird though. The low strings sound MASSIVE and beefy, while the top strings sound quite bright n twangy. Its fine for like R*CK gigs (all the lows) or slap (where the twang sounds sweeeeeet and the incoinsistancy in tone is a help) but for like jazz where you want even across the board it has this jump in tone. Maybe im just a bad EQer and shud put less of a curve on it, if you guys are saying they sound great with a flat EQ? Quarms aside it still gives a decent sound and kills for most gigs. Seeing as i invested in it i just wanna make it work!

Its tough with an EQ on the bass, on the head (with those sliders too... hmmmm...), and on the PA - can make life interesting sometimes!

Any thoughts?

P.S. Mine hasnt spontaneously combusted yet.... Will it?![/quote]

Depends what sound you're after and how you play. A friend of mine owns my old Warwick Dolphin bolt-on through my old Ashdown combo and uses no eq- he gets a monster sound. Using the same gear with the same settings I sound ridiculous (as in bad); I have to eq a lot to get anything approaching that sound. I also wouldn't say it's the best gear for jazz when I'm playing through it but YMMV.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='472735' date='Apr 26 2009, 04:13 PM']Another weekend of trusty service from my abm combo! However I'm considering retiring it to home practice only (don't have an amp at home atm). A 300 watt amp is total overkill for what I'm using it for (basically a personal monitor and DI). Also don't like leaving it in our drafty, damp practise room. I've a Line6 studio 110 coming and it'll take over if it sounds the part... it's small and light enough (12" cube, 24lbs) to not have to worry about carting around! Keep feeling like I'm cheating on the abm though - how weird is that![/quote]

Yup, I'm afraid to say the ABM's getting retired from regular giging. Tried the Lowdown 110 on a gig on Saturday and it worked an f'ing treat! Goes as loud as I need it to on stage and the DI sounds great... and the 'rock' setting is good to go after a few tweaks. Now my ABM can stay in the house as a pretty practise amp in the living room.

[quote name='4000' post='480638' date='May 6 2009, 08:29 AM']Depends what sound you're after and how you play. A friend of mine owns my old Warwick Dolphin bolt-on through my old Ashdown combo and uses no eq- he gets a monster sound. Using the same gear with the same settings I sound ridiculous (as in bad); I have to eq a lot to get anything approaching that sound. I also wouldn't say it's the best gear for jazz when I'm playing through it but YMMV.[/quote]

Erm.... what does YMMV mean?! I only use it on Jazz gigs when nothing else is around! Its mostly for the rock stuff. Theyre still pretty versatile though. Whats all this about them catching fire?

YMMV = your mileage may vary........

I've had mine a few years now and I know of plenty of other people who've had them and I've never known one catch fire (unlike a Warwick head I bought which did exactly that the first time I used it - that went straight back to the shop).