Why become a member? ×

Shipping to ireland from the UK

lidl e

I recently figured out that it is far cheaper for me to ship kit to my buddy in the UK and fly over on ryanair for a night then it is to ship directly to me in Dublin.

Ryanair its less than 30 quid roundtrip...

I'm thinking quarterly trips to England will be in my future.

I'd avoid shipping fees and import duty.

That's mental to me. 

I recently bought a couple of pedals from lads on here and will be picking up next week when i visit.

This is a major revelation!

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's also smuggling, too. Just sayin'. :ph34r:

I have no issues with that!

A victimless "crime"

Do you feel it's morally wrong? 

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

Irish customs seem to have chilled out a lot in the last 12 months, doubt they are bothered about collecting a bit of vat on individual used goods, they probably realised being heavy handed was slowing traffic clearing the ports and airports, wasting staff time and reducing visitors, better to have visitors paying however many euros a pint of the black stuff is now than not. Mind they are on the ball for VAT scamming men in vans and throw the book at them and heaven help you if you run foul of the revenue in any meaningful way, they are way more powerful than the police over there.

Charging vat on used goods is wrong, and costs so much work and grief, and quite probably doesn't pay for itself, I would love to see the figures, but the collection fees being charged by the shipping companies will be making for a nice bonus for the top management I bet. It would be really interesting to go over the books of the parcel companies and work out the full impact on revenue and costs, and work out the cost of the delays, and the difference it's making to the balance of payments and gdp, a nice bit of forensic accounting for someone at the Treasury's Phd no doubt.

• Like 1

Sounds like a bloody good idea to me, and the best of luck 👍

Whenever I've sent stuff to family in Eire I've been shocked at the crazy comparative postage cost, whereas if you sent it just over the border to NI it'd be the same cost as posting it from London to, er London. This isn't an "oh it's brexit" thing either, been that way for many years... 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Whenever I've sent stuff to family in Eire I've been shocked at the crazy comparative postage cost, whereas if you sent it just over the border to NI it'd be the same cost as posting it from London to, er London. This isn't an "oh it's brexit" thing either, been that way for many years... 

Aye, they used to have a service called parcel motel where you'd ship to the north and theyd bring it down for 4 quid. Saved a fortune in shipping using that, but then you know what happened and the service went away.

4 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Aye, they used to have a service called parcel motel where you'd ship to the north and theyd bring it down for 4 quid. Saved a fortune in shipping using that, but then you know what happened and the service went away.

Perfect, pity that's not still going !.. One of the old 'uns used to go over the border to Enniskillen quite often and I always said "shame you don't know anyone over there".!

.. as a matter of interest a couple of our lot went over on the car ferry, from holyhead, a couple of weeks ago and (unlike the air route) there was no checks of any kind, passports, baggage, nothing..

Just sayin'.. 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Perfect, pity that's not still going !.. One of the old 'uns used to go over the border to Enniskillen quite often and I always said "shame you don't know anyone over there".!

.. as a matter of interest a couple of our lot went over on the car ferry, from holyhead, a couple of weeks ago and (unlike the air route) there was no checks of any kind, passports, baggage, nothing..

Just sayin'.. 😉

Aye, we've taken the ferry a number of times. The holyhead port is just such a trek from everywhere...

My wife wants to drive over and see her sister at Easter so if we do i might be bringing some bigger stuff back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lidl e said:

A victimless "crime"

All very well while you're getting away with it. Knock yourself out but bear in mind that it is not just the smuggled goods that are seized if you are caught.

The odds are with you but that's no guarantee.

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

All very well while you're getting away with it. Knock yourself out but bear in mind that it is not just the smuggled goods that are seized if you are caught.

The odds are with you but that's no guarantee.

This isnt fabrege eggs we're talking about! It's a guitar pedal or two. A neck or body maybe.  

With the cost really even for one pedal It's break even plus i get to see my buddy. 

Win/win

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Possibly because both London and NI are in the UK, whereas postage to Eire, would be classified as international post

• Like 1

Until quite recently the old customs post was still in Belfast Central Station, albeit no longer in use. People used to come up form the republic to buy stuff like butter and take it home because it was much cheaper. Newry used to do a thriving trade in cross-border shopping, especially coming up to Christmas. About 25 years ago, fuel was cheaper south of the border and people would actually drive from Belfast to Dundalk to fill their cars.

23 hours ago, lidl e said:

A victimless "crime"

Is it any different from evading any other tax?  I guess it depends on the volume and value of the stuff you are bringing but talking about quarterly trips taking two days and paying £30 per trip would suggest it's not the odd £50 quids worth of kit that you are importing.  

Personally I don't think VAT on used goods is moral but that's not the point.

40 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Is it any different from evading any other tax?  I guess it depends on the volume and value of the stuff you are bringing but talking about quarterly trips taking two days and paying £30 per trip would suggest it's not the odd £50 quids worth of kit that you are importing.  

Personally I don't think VAT on used goods is moral but that's not the point.

hyperbole for added dramatic effect, excitement over the discovery and the thought of getting over to england, which i always enjoy.

as you can see i mentioned a single pedal would make the trip worthwhile.

• Like 2

On 04/01/2023 at 12:02, lidl e said:

I recently figured out that it is far cheaper for me to ship kit to my buddy in the UK and fly over on ryanair for a night then it is to ship directly to me in Dublin.

Ryanair its less than 30 quid roundtrip...

I'm thinking quarterly trips to England will be in my future.

I'd avoid shipping fees and import duty.

That's mental to me. 

I recently bought a couple of pedals from lads on here and will be picking up next week when i visit.

This is a major revelation!

I have done that, both ways, many times.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NikNik said:

I have done that, both ways, many times.

yeah, i was buying a pedal from the UK the other night and my wife was booking tickets to the UK for next weekend to see some friends and i had an "a-ha" moment!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lidl e said:

yeah, i was buying a pedal from the UK the other night and my wife was booking tickets to the UK for next weekend to see some friends and i had an "a-ha" moment!

Fair play. If the butter is any cheaper that side of the pond, maybe smuggle in a few kilo's and don't let the guilt get the better of ye😂 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2023 at 12:06, lidl e said:

A victimless "crime"

No it isn't.

Every bit of evasion leads to higher taxes for the rest of us. Tax rates are set in part by reference to those who will try to evade. So the rest of us are your victims.

Yes. It is morally and legally wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

No it isn't.

Every bit of evasion leads to higher taxes for the rest of us. Tax rates are set in part by reference to those who will try to evade. So the rest of us are your victims.

In this case, it wouldnt affect UK, but your point stands EU wise.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

No it isn't.

True, but have you every received goods from overseas that have not attracted tax/duty fees but should have, and did you immedaitely call customs and excise to pay what you think you should owe?  I think we've all been guilty of this type of evasion at one time or another.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

And the OP has admitted that they intend to break the law on a publicly accessible part of an internet forum that is indexed by all the major search engines...

On the other hand, this wide-spread visibility hasn't done our 'friend', Facebook scammer Mick, any harm, so -_- ...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Kev said:

True, but have you every received goods from overseas that have not attracted tax/duty fees but should have, and did you immedaitely call customs and excise to pay what you think you should owe?  I think we've all been guilty of this type of evasion at one time or another.

Together with the odd cash in hand gig maybe? 

• Like 3