Why become a member? ×

NBD: Medium scale itch scratched

roger

I’ve had short scale basses before but I wanted to try a medium scale so I picked up this early Ibanez roadstar in a hideous torquise blue, stripped it best I could, finished with Tru Oil and added some gold hipshot ultralights to match the brass bridge. It’s really comfortable to play, the 32” scale is better then expected beautifully balanced & light, lovely compromise between 30”/34”.  Just need to tidy up the wiring. 

34ECE51F-2471-43D7-939C-116C658A0A02.jpeg

414550EC-5353-4756-85D3-3EE12521FBB1.jpeg

91BB5206-E840-4EAC-93D6-89586573A14B.jpeg

D5271412-B352-4F1A-8934-84269CED2987.jpeg

4DE86743-45A1-4302-98EF-E18E03CF2E1F.jpeg

• Like 26

26 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

Gorgeous wood, can't believe it was covered in paint!

It is clear and very noticeable it’s a 2 piece body but the tru oil brings the grain out nice, it was very difficult to get all the blue out🫤

• Like 1

As a vintage Ibanez fan it pains me a bit to see one irreversibly modded (and a fairly rare one at that) and even removing the logo and serial, but I have to admit the result is stunning! That's a beautiful piece of ash and the grain comes out a lot nicer after the refin. 

By the way, not a Roadstar but a Roadster RS721. 

Edited by LeftyJ

5 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

As a vintage Ibanez fan it pains me a bit to see one irreversibly modded (and a fairly rare one at that) and even removing the logo and serial, but I have to admit the result is stunning! That's a beautiful piece of ash and the grain comes out a lot nicer after the refin. 

By the way, not a Roadstar but a Roadster RS721. 

Hi, yeh I noticed my spell error, apologies (couldn’t be arsed to edit it🤣🤷‍♂️) the serial no. Is on the neck plate and I’m gunna reproduce the logo in gold (I’m in the print business) but thanks for your kind comments, think I’m well & truly into medium scale now. 

Edited by roger
  • Like 1