Why become a member? ×

Variable HPF pedals? Ideally tiny ones!

fretmeister

Is there a good variable HPF in a tiny size? Ideally as tiny as the Micro Thumpinator?

I'm experimenting with a subtle / low level always on Octave pedal after looking at some rig rundowns that have used some HPF units after the octave to basically stop the effect when the source note gets low enough.

I have a Thumpinator and it's great but I'd like some control on the frequency.

Any ideas?

Just now, Stofferson said:

No worries mate, I got mine 2nd hand from here, so you might be lucky, still, it's a good little unit and variable from 30HZ upwards I believe, I don't think the cut off is as strong as the thumpinator though, but it is variable which Is what you're after

I'm just looking at the specs. The Thump's slope is 36db/Octave and the others are 12db so that's quite a big difference.

I do want to really kill the lows I don't want. I'll send out some emails to see if they can be modified easily, or of the Thump can be in a different enclosure with a pot.

I have one of the diddy Broughton always on units and can't recommend it enough. No idea what the slope is and don't really care either because it works brilliantly but not too abruptly that it sounds unnatural. The always on version doesn't have the frequencies marked on the case like some of the other versions he makes but I run it between 25-35%~ish depending on the bass and room, and it really tightens up and focuses the lows. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Have you spoken to Max at SFX to see if he could create a custom, variable, version of the Thumpinator?

Si

I'm going to send him an email for that very thing. Although on the website it does say:

"Can I have a micro-Thumpinator with a variable frequency control? One of my friends bought a HPF with a knob that sets the cut-off frequency...
We designed the micro-Thumpinator with a single goal in mind: audio performace. Although it is possible to design and build high-pass filters (HPF) with variable frequency, they don't even come close to the performace of the micro-Thumpinator. From the power supply circuit to the enclosure, the micro-Thumpinator is designed to deliver the best possible sonic results. In simple terms, the micro-Thumpinator is the sniper of the infrasonic frequencies: if your signal has a component below the cut-off point, the micro-Thumpinator will remove it leaving everything else untouched." [sic]

So I suspect he doesn't want to! 

But I might offer to spell check his website if he will! :D 

• Like 2

The mini Vong may only be 12dB/octave but the HPF/LPF Vong has a 12dB/octave 30Hz filter followed by a 12dB/octave variable filter, bringing you closer to the thumpinator 36dB/octave.

There is also the FDeck HPF where the current generation are also 12dB fixed + 12dB variable. There is a tried and tested veroboard layout for this on a DIY pedals site.

<http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/F-deck-HPF-Series-3-td44880.html

If you have a builder available that would be an option.

David

1 hour ago, Mottlefeeder said:

The mini Vong may only be 12dB/octave but the HPF/LPF Vong has a 12dB/octave 30Hz filter followed by a 12dB/octave variable filter, bringing you closer to the thumpinator 36dB/octave.

There is also the FDeck HPF where the current generation are also 12dB fixed + 12dB variable. There is a tried and tested veroboard layout for this on a DIY pedals site.

<http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/F-deck-HPF-Series-3-td44880.html

If you have a builder available that would be an option.

David

Fdeck has a very cool new one coming out "soon." He told me it'll be open source eventually, but he's a busy guy and I have no idea how long it'll take for that to eventuate. In the past he's avoided shipping to Europe, FWIW.

My new open source one is in final testing right now too, and I've been working on setting up a few builders in the UK and elsewhere across the pond to service those who can't or won't build their own. As usual, I have nothing to sell and no interest in going that direction myself. 😉

Also, I've seen postings in a few other forums saying Schallertechnik is no longer in business? Might want to grab the Vongs while they're still available...

• Like 3

I have a Rafferty HPF. £100 including delivery from Northern Ireland. I like the fact it can be PP3 battery powered, has a phase switch, volume and adjustable frequency controls. It works and worth the extra real-estate IMO.

20221010_105100.thumb.jpg.de0adabd12f712a1f4b62acc1cc5babe.jpg

20220706_180757.thumb.jpg.b56a9bc337e87f4deacfbf3140d72185.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

I've got a 'big' Vong (now now) on my pedal board and it's a great bit of kit, very sensitive so you can dial in the right low frequency cut off to suit the room acoustic (that's if you've got time to fiddle around at a gig) and the top cut gets rid of all the hissy stuff squelching it down to a proper bass-sized package of thumpy sound.

• Like 1