Why become a member? ×

Where do you put your thumb?

SteveXFR

I've mostly played with a pick with the odd bit of finger style now and then but I should make efforts to improve my technique. 

I think my biggest issue is I generally leave my thumb on the pickup or maybe rest it on the A string when picking the D or G. 

What's your technique?

Edited by SteveXFR
  • Like 1

Pickup cover or strategically placed thumb rest for E string and higher (I play 4 stringers), resting on the E string when playing A string and higher and, finally, resting on the A string when play the D and G strings. I’m not sure whether this counts as floating thumb or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Pickup cover or strategically placed thumb rest for E string and higher (I play 4 stringers), resting on the E string when playing A string and higher and, finally, resting on the A string when play the D and G strings. I’m not sure whether this counts as floating thumb or not.

That's what I mean by floating thumb.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BigAlonBass said:

I must have big hands or flexible fingers or summat.  For 57 years, I've anchored my Thumb to the Pickup, and easily reach all the Strings. I've never bothered with the 'floating thumb' thing.

I can make the stretches too, but I do it for muting purposes. My teacher, when I started playing bass, was very hot on muting.

1 hour ago, BigAlonBass said:

I must have big hands or flexible fingers or summat.  For 57 years, I've anchored my Thumb to the Pickup, and easily reach all the Strings. I've never bothered with the 'floating thumb' thing.

Its more about muting than reach, I have big paws.

Thumb mutes the E string, except when I'm playing it, gently resting on the body of the bass, alongside the pickup.

The two smaller fingers apparently mute the A and D strings when required, though I never told them to, and they go to pieces if I try watching them, it's all a mystery to me. I presume this is thanks to the same bit of my unconscious that moves my right foot up and down on the sustain pedal when I'm playing the piano.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Thumb mutes the E string, except when I'm playing it, gently resting on the body of the bass, alongside the pickup.

The two smaller fingers apparently mute the A and D strings when required, though I never told them to, and they go to pieces if I try watching them, it's all a mystery to me. I presume this is thanks to the same bit of my unconscious that moves my right foot up and down on the sustain pedal when I'm playing the piano.

A bit like when you realise you are playing a relatively complex riff but not looking at the strings...  and it then goes to pieces!

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A bit like when you realise you are playing a relatively complex riff but not looking at the strings...  and it then goes to pieces!

When I memorise a long piece of music, by the time it's all gone in I've really lost track of what the notes are, it's all just muscle memory. The mind is a strange and wonderful thing.

• Like 5