Why become a member? ×

5-string bass with wider string spacing

ReeV0

If you're not sure, I have two Squier "Precisions" which are P bodied but have J pickups, Indonesian made, from mid 2000s, I think.

They are 19mm and have necks like cricket bats.  I see them come up occasionally on eBay for around £100-£150 - might be worth a try if you don't want to blow a load of cash on something without trying.

In my experience, a lot of lower end basses are not as wide as 19mm - my Sire V7 and Harley Benton MB-5 are more like 17.5/18mm ( I have never measured them).

Just a thought.

On 14/12/2022 at 00:08, ReeV0 said:

I've been looking at harley benton basses but annoyingly they don't list the string spacing or weight...

They vary.

The MB-5 SBK (black 'stealth' Stingray style) is 16.5 mm. Mine weighs about 9.5 lbs.

The JJ55OP/PJ55OP are 18 mm. I've got one of each. The JJ is around 9.5 lbs as well and the JP closer to 8.5 lbs if I remember correctly (there is a thread about those basses and I stated the actual weight there). 

The Cort Artisan A5 Plus FMMH series are 19mm at the bridge and very good value second hand too.  Here's one but seems a tad expensive for a pre-loved Cort.  I bought mine for less than this.

https://www.fairdealmusic.co.uk/products/cort-a5-plus-fmmh-5-string-open-pore-black-cherry-used?variant=42618396344545&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-simnoeh_AIVz9DtCh3CkwwZEAQYBCABEgIjkfD_BwE

On 26/12/2022 at 21:31, joel406 said:

Both of these are 2021 MIA Precisions. They have 17.5mm spacing. I've compared them to BTBs that do have 19mm spacing. There is a difference. FYI these are my 2 Precision 5'ers. I only play 5 string. I don't own any 4 string instruments. But I do have 6 of em.

IMG_0697.JPEG

IMG_0623.JPEG

How are you measuring these? my 2020 MIA Precision 5 string definitely has 19mm spacing.......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ReeV0 said:

Are any of the 5-string basses mentioned with 19mm spacing under 4kg/9lbs?

Any thoughts on the Yamaha TRBX series?

There's a G&L CLF Research 750 Series L-1000 on the Sales Corner which is 8.8 lbs. Let me fetch the link.....

Here we are. Advert says 8lb 8oz, but last year the NBD thread I was remembering said 8.8 lb. Still, under 9 lbs is under 9 lbs.

Edited by Ricky Rioli

12 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

There's a G&L CLF Research 750 Series L-1000 on the Sales Corner which is 8.8 lbs. Let me fetch the link.....

Here we are. And I misremembered the weight — not 8.8 lbs, but 8 lbs 8 oz

Does look lovely, but I've made a promise to myself to never pay more than £800 for a bass...

On 13/12/2022 at 22:43, ReeV0 said:

I'd like to keep the budget under £1000 and also the weight is another important factor. Would need it to be under 4kg

My ACG has a spacing of 18.5mm (if I'm measuring it correctly). It only weighs 3.7kg. I'm selling it (and may be open to offers...) 🙂

On 16/01/2023 at 08:59, ReeV0 said:

Does anyone know if any of the budget brands like Harley Benton or Vintage have any 19mm 5-strings?

Tried a Vintage today, weighed over 5kg! So that's off the table. I imagine the cheap Harley Benton's are most likely all over 4kg

• Like 1