Why become a member? ×

Ebay idiots

Burns-bass

Another message from the aforementioned gentleman... bearing in mind I've made no contact with him since he sent his last message. His version of events is spectacularly skewed, we must have been in different dimensions or he had taken a very large dose of something 'special' on his journey home that day. Clearly he is after an arguement. He'll not get one. 

Screenshot_20230215_235344_eBay.thumb.jpg.86b894adb63745a11723361ca22fe525.jpg

• Confused 2

I used to buy and sell a lot on eBay, but gave up about fifteen years ago.

You have to deal with the usual cross section of weirdo's, chancers and increasingly fraudsters, but that difficulty was compounded by eBay offering poor service for sellers whilst charging more and more.

They held the monopoly on internet second hand selling and leveraged that to hike up fees, remove buyer feedback and skew search results for more profit.

Their fall from grace is well documented across the internet. These days I'd sooner go without or give something away than use eBay.

Edited by Shambo
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Shambo said:

I used to buy and sell a lot on eBay, but gave up about fifteen years ago.

You have to deal with the usual cross section of weirdo's, chancers and increasingly fraudsters, but that difficulty was compounded by eBay offering poor service for sellers whilst charging more and more.

They held the monopoly on internet second hand selling and leveraged that to hike up fees, remove buyer feedback and skew search results for more profit.

Their fall from grace is well documented across the internet. These days I'd sooner go without or give something away than use eBay.

Likewise to selling but I still buy regular items on ebay like replacement pots etc

Fortunately insane sellers are still rare.

I only flog occasional smallish value stuff when they desperately send one of those "pay no more than £1 fees" type offers.

.. tbh I've been lucky over the years and not really had any total nutters as above. 

Evilbay is still useful for buying mundane stuff and birthday pressies etc, so I'm glad it exists, but it's less than ideal... likely as it's become too big for its boots so to speak. 

• Like 1

Exactly the same reasons why I hardly ever use it, except for mundane stuff or things I can't find anywhere else.

I used to like eBay before the business model changed to putting everything in the buyers favour and they treated their sellers with contempt.

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 1

A totally schizophrenic guy, hoping his parents will react really fast as it can end up very badly. I also hope the police stated his schizophrenia in their report as they've seen the footage (and I again hope they took a copy of it)...

• Like 1

I buy through ebay a lot of the time and rarely have a problem, it is a good place to get cheap bits for those of us that won't use amazon and find things that are really rare (I mean, where does one get an eignharp otherwise?). i have never really had a selling issue and certainly nothing like the level of crazy above.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Another message from the aforementioned gentleman... bearing in mind I've made no contact with him since he sent his last message. His version of events is spectacularly skewed, we must have been in different dimensions or he had taken a very large dose of something 'special' on his journey home that day. Clearly he is after an arguement. He'll not get one. 

I'm afraid thats what happens when Snow White has sex with Dopey!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, binky_bass said:

That’s just someone who likes the last word. He can now feel smug and tell his wife as he smacks his lips over his glass of beer that he ‘dealt with that guy” he must be feeling very proud 🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bunion said:

That’s just someone who likes the last word. He can now feel smug and tell his wife as he smacks his lips over his glass of beer that he ‘dealt with that guy” he must be feeling very proud 🤣😂

But he's living with mummy and daddy.

It's them I feel sorry for. He sounds like a junkie

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Wife?  Sounds ambitious for this oxygen thief...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Wife?  Sounds ambitious for this oxygen thief...

Correct. Binky told us earlier that our hero lived at home with his mum and dad. That's where he went to pick up the guitar.

One thing this story does reinforce is that one should always pay on collection and not beforehand via PayPal. Then, if the item is not as described or damaged, you don't have to go through the rigmarole of getting a refund.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Correct. Binky told us earlier that our hero lived at home with his mum and dad. That's where he went to pick up the guitar.

One thing this story does reinforce is that one should always pay on collection and not beforehand via PayPal. Then, if the item is not as described or damaged, you don't have to go through the rigmarole of getting a refund.

Alas with eBay sales they expect payment within a few days 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bunion said:

Alas with eBay sales they expect payment within a few days 

They can expect all they want, but they don't get it from me if I've arranged to collect an item. Just ignore the payment reminders from eBay. They try to push you into using PayPal because they make a bit more commission if you do. eBay has no power to force you to use PayPal.

Once you have paid the seller direct, just mark the item as received and payment sent. It's worth asking the seller to mark it payment received, too.

23 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

They try to push you away from PayPal, as they have their own payment system.

They have their own payment system for sellers, but if you buy, you are directed to use PP (I buy and sell on there). The buyer's payment goes from PP to eBay, who deduct extra commission (additional to the fee they charge for the sale) from what they pay the seller. That's why they don't like people paying sellers direct

On the flip side of Wednesday's ridiculous encounter... 

I just collected a rocking crib as our son has outgrown his newborn crib already. The couple were so kind, they gave us some extras with the crib that weren't part of the sale, they then offered to give us a few other bits and pieces for our son without wanting any extra money - really genuinely very nice people! Good to be reminded that there are decent folk out there after having dealt with that utter psychopath on Wednesday...

• Like 4