Why become a member? ×

When is a band not a band?

Mickeyboro

Just come back from seeing Gong, utterly disappointed.

I knew there were no original members, but the music was so divorced from anything I know as Gong it was almost a case of the trades descriptions act. Selling Camembert Electrique t-shirts was the icing on the cake.

On a broader note, what gives a band its identity - and when should the trigger’s broom principle come into play? 

• Sad 2

In general I’d say once there are no original members left, however when you look at some bands some replacements have been in the bands far longer than the person they replaced. Becomes a tad difficult then to make the call. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

In general I’d say once there are no original members left, however when you look at some bands some replacements have been in the bands far longer than the person they replaced. Becomes a tad difficult then to make the call. 

This. The Rolling Stones with just Mick and Keith still make it in my book, but without an important original (or early replacement) member (Yardbirds) then it's just a tribute act.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

There was one 60's band - I forget which - where the tribute band had more original members of the actual band than the official band itself.  

• Haha 1

It boggles my mind that many bands still keep their name even though the original main men have passed away/on. Then these are merely tribute acts. The one that always comes to mind is Dr Feelgood. Once Lee Brilleaux passed away that should've been it, particularly as Wilko and Gypie Mayo were no longer with the band. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

It boggles my mind that many bands still keep their name even though the original main men have passed away/on. Then these are merely tribute acts. The one that always comes to mind is Dr Feelgood. Once Lee Brilleaux passed away that should've been it, particularly as Wilko and Gypie Mayo were no longer with the band. 

I would have agreed but for the way they are run, as a business. Everyone who was in the band earned from it, even Wilko for all his sniping.

Reason? They cut in their manager, an old school friend, who invested their earnings and minded business. They own a large chunk of Canvey!

Letting tributes profit from their inactivity made no sense. Besides, Lee wanted them to continue. 

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

There was one 60's band - I forget which - where the tribute band had more original members of the actual band than the official band itself.  

Is that Pink Floyd, post Roger Waters, according to Roger Waters? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was someone sort of mid 60's, Hermans Hermits or someone of that ilk and era. Wracking brain...

The was a suggestion by Gene Simmons a few yesrs ago that when KISS call it a day they might licence their name and act to a younger band to carry on with.   Sounds daft and I'm doubtful it'll happen, but it is Gene Simmons. While he's a bit of a berk he has a fair track record for turning one shekel into two, and the sheer notoriety of the whole thing would likely generate enough interest to pull something like that off.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

It was someone sort of mid 60's, Hermans Hermits or someone of that ilk and era. Wracking brain...

The was a suggestion by Gene Simmons a few yesrs ago that when KISS call it a day they might licence their name and act to a younger band to carry on with.   Sounds daft and I'm doubtful it'll happen, but it is Gene Simmons. While he's a bit of a berk he has a fair track record for turning one shekel into two, and the sheer notoriety of the whole thing would likely generate enough interest to pull something like that off.

I can absolutely see this happening and being a huge success!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Napalm Death have no original members, but they still sound like Napalm Death and have maintained the quality.

I think when both the members and sound have changed then it's time to stop using the name.

Not exactly difficult to mimic, there's a lot of it about.

I think that if the band in question are producing the sounds, songs and live experience, there is an argument to say it’s ok to keep the name, even if there are no original members. I think of a band as a Ltd company with the current members being akin to to the board of directors 🤔

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Storky said:

I think that if the band in question are producing the sounds, songs and live experience, there is an argument to say it’s ok to keep the name, even if there are no original members. I think of a band as a Ltd company with the current members being akin to to the board of directors 🤔

Exactly. Nobody complains that Tesco is still called Tesco, despite the fact that none of Jack Cohen's family or original owners have any connection with the business nowadays.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grimalkin said:

I think it's very misleading to use the name with no original members left in the band, then it's just a tribute.

I think in many ways it would be the same as a tribute and some tributes would be better. For example if the members of ABBA reformed, called themselves ABBA and did a show with mostly new songs, I’m sure that Bjorn Again or something similar would be closer to the original band (now in their 70s). But if Benny and Bjorn licensed a tribute act, ensured the quality and ethos of the original band remained, could that band be entitled to be known as ABBA? 🤔

You might consider the original band the best though. In the case of The Shadows, the band changed drummers and especially bass players from the early 60s onwards; they were still The Shadows, but to me, the best version was with the original players.

6 minutes ago, Storky said:

I think in many ways it would be the same as a tribute and some tributes would be better. For example if the members of ABBA reformed, called themselves ABBA and did a show with mostly new songs, I’m sure that Bjorn Again or something similar would be closer to the original band (now in their 70s). But if Benny and Bjorn licensed a tribute act, ensured the quality and ethos of the original band remained, could that band be entitled to be known as ABBA? 🤔

I'd consider it as selling their bones for the money basically.

Is it ok for Francis Rossi to continue to tour under the Status Quo name? Maybe if he is delivering an authentic experience?

Whereas when AC/DC toured with an aging Axl Rose on a zimmer frame. To me that was not AC/DC who for me are young (😉) wild and full of life and energy. It just didn’t cut it anymore.

3 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I'd consider it as selling their bones for the money basically.

Agreed! But it’s their bones to sell and if people want to see it and I provides a pension and work for those involves, why not?

• Like 2