Why become a member? ×

Christmas songs - £££$$$

casapete

Interesting article in the ipaper yesterday by Grace Causden all about money earned from writing and/or 

recording Christmas tunes.

Mariah Carey has reportedly earned more than £60m from ‘All I want for Christmas is you’ since it’s release

in 1994, more than £2m a year.

Other honourable mentions -

Slade’s ‘Merry Xmas Everybody’ - about £1m royalties a year

Pogues hit with Kirsty McColl ‘Fairytale of New York’ - circa £400,000 a year

Bing Crosby, ‘White Christmas’ - £328,000 a year

Wham! ‘Last Christmas’ £300,000 a year

Sir Paul McCartney - ‘Wonderful Christmastime’ £260,000 a year

Jona Lewie ‘Stop the cavalry’ - £120,000 a year

East 17 ‘Stay another day’ - £97,000

Time to get writing that everlasting Xmas belter eh? 

Are this mechanical royalties (from record/CD sales, downloads, streaming etc.) or performance royalties or both?

Why the ability to write a good song is far more important financially, than being able the play technical complex stuff on your instrument of choice.

And yes, I'm currently involved in writing a "Christmas" song.

Edited by BigRedX

39 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I've no doubt that Shane McGowan spends his £400k wisely each year. He's probably on his Peloton bike right now 😁

And wondering why after pedalling furiously for 4hrs he’s still no nearer to the pub……

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I've no doubt that Shane McGowan spends his £400k wisely each year. He's probably on his Peloton bike right now 😁

On the contrary. I saw a recent interview where he said, "I harawah karamah clomascsh schler scaarmererer hach hach eshesheshc". 

Or something like that. 

• Haha 3

Wonderful Christmastime by Macca/Wings makes me feel very warm and fuzzy any time I hear it.

My dad loved Christmas.  Little kid joy.  I just remember him, 7.00am Christmas morning, opening my bedroom door, cup of tea for me in one hand, a little Hitachi radio-cassette player in the other, Wonderful Christmastime blaring, and him shouting, 'Come on boy!  Time for the up!  It's Christmaaaaaaas!'.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 16:30, casapete said:

Many have tried, but I can't think of a new Christmas song that's made itself a permanent fixture on the festive playlists that was released later than 1994, which a quick Google has informed me saw the release of East17's ''Stay Now' as well Mariah Carey's 'All I want for Christmas'.

Edited by Cato

1 minute ago, Cato said:

Many have tried, but I can't think of a new Christmas song that's made itself a permanent fixture on the festive playlists that was released later than 1994, which a quick Google has I formed saw the release of East17's ''Stay Now' as well Mariah Carey's 'All I want for Christmas'.

The Darkness' Christmas Time (don't let the bells end) seems to have become a Christmas fixture, released 2003.

Holy holly berries Batman, is that really nearly 20 years old?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

It always makes me chuckle. Typical Justin Hawkins writing a song with the lyrics "bells end" and "ring in peace". 

And apparently they cut out the Save Our Souls bit that the kids were going to sing.

• Haha 1

On 02/12/2022 at 16:30, casapete said:

Interesting article in the ipaper yesterday by Grace Causden all about money earned from writing and/or 

recording Christmas tunes.

Mariah Carey has reportedly earned more than £60m from ‘All I want for Christmas is you’ since it’s release

in 1994, more than £2m a year.

Other honourable mentions -

Slade’s ‘Merry Xmas Everybody’ - about £1m royalties a year

Pogues hit with Kirsty McColl ‘Fairytale of New York’ - circa £400,000 a year

Bing Crosby, ‘White Christmas’ - £328,000 a year

Wham! ‘Last Christmas’ £300,000 a year

Sir Paul McCartney - ‘Wonderful Christmastime’ £260,000 a year

Jona Lewie ‘Stop the cavalry’ - £120,000 a year

East 17 ‘Stay another day’ - £97,000

The XMas song our drummer wrote a couple of years back, Glam Fever, has been recorded by 70s band Hello. Not sure he’ll be able to retire just yet though.

24AFB56C-09BB-41A8-9F26-1948E781197C.thumb.jpeg.75441e462b3d57ab19619233a0275abb.jpeg