Why become a member? ×

That Lemmy growl

Rumblebass

Well, he used Marshall amps, so Joyo British Sound, or if you absolutely want to spend more the original Tech 21 British

With some tweaking it should be able to get you pretty close.

Though an EHX English Muff'n tube overdrive/distortion would be perfect.

And then you would want to often strike whole chords instead of single tones.

That and pick and roundwound string of course.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 14/11/2022 at 09:55, Rumblebass said:

Hi all,

My set up is Genzler Magellan 800 head with Aguilar SL410… flat wound strings on a Fender Precision with Lindy Fralin pick ups. I’m looking for a pedal which will get me close to Lemmy’s Ace of Spades growl for a couple of songs… anything you could suggest?

Thanks all.

Before buying a pedal see how close you can get with the Magellan. Engage the drive channel - obviously! Then switch to Contour B, the mid boost with the orange LED, adjust that to taste while backing off the bass EQ (Lemmy used to dial his to zero) and boost the treble. That should get you somewhere near there but you may well struggle to get enough highs and clank with flats. 

• Like 1

When reading EQ recommendations, bear in mind that Lemmy's famous "bass off/full mids/treble off" was the sound he used later on when he switched to using the bridge pickup on his basses - the tone is very different to his older sound.

Also, on a Marshall Superbass the EQ is boost only (if I remember correctly) so bass and treble on 0 isn't cutting anything.

• Like 2