Why become a member? ×

Following the cliche: Precision 62, Sunburst, Tort, Rosewood

SumOne

As most people on this forum probably have, I've been on a bit of a Bass owning journey to try and figure out exactly what I want in a Bass. 9 Basses in I've finally followed the crowd and gone for my first Precision - not only that, I've gone for probably the most cliche looking one (I figured that if I'm going to be un-original and 'classic/traditional' then I might as well fully embrace it!)

image.thumb.png.e1ed730a608d9e0b3110a67aa311a2e7.png 

It's a 'Crafted in Japan' 2006. Relatively lightweight at 3.9kg.

My early impression is that I like it. Good tones, no unwanted hum or rattles or cracking pots, fairly low action, comfortable, looks good - the colours kind of look like what I imagine the Bass sound to look like, and it has some nice natural aging which seems to fit well this type of Bass. 

Compared to other Precisions: I tried a lot of Squier/Player and US Precisions over the last few weeks and I'd say that they do generally fit with their price-points: Squier can be fine but you can tell certain things are done on the cheap, Player/MIM are good - particularly the new ones, but Japanese Precisions are better as things like the neck seems nicer wood and the fretboard wood is more consistent and everything feels like it is a bit more solid and fixed in place better and little things like the strings being in better alignment with the fretboard markers, US ones - some second hand ones haven't been very good at all (heavy, crackly pots, loose pickips, pickguard not fitting perfectly) but a US AVRI was the best of all the Precisions I tried (although cost about £700 more than this CIJ I got).  

A couple of issues with Precisions in general: Not to argue with Lord Leo's choices but going from my previous headless Bass to a Precision the headstock now seems ridiculously large/heavy for something that is at the furthest point from the pivot point - it's exactly where you want to keep things as light as possible but there seems to be no effort in the Precision headstock design to do so (I'll probably get some lightweight tuners, but that big lump of headstock wood is still going to annoy me! i.e. if the G tuner was moved to face downwards from where the 'Fender' logo is couldn't about 3" of the end of the headstock be removed?). And the old Precision bridge isn't great - the saddles can shift about a bit (the E or G moving outwards) and the saddle grub-screws seems to be waiting to slice my wrists! Easy enought to get a new bridge though. 

One question: What is the extra screw on the back of the headstock for? I'd always assumed it's the other side of the string tree, but it isn't, it seems unnecessary:

20221012_094753.thumb.jpg.78f1e67db75895bf953dbbcaf24dd61d.jpg

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

It's an extra strap button that were on Fender basses in the 60s I think. Here's Elvis using the strap button in this location: image.thumb.png.b1db453df73320fe24021d98f1b4b0ee.png

Ah, nice one. I wonder why no-one ever uses that position any more, I'm gonna give it a go.

31 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Congratulations!

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that a Precision Bass is all I need, and cliche or not, mine looks just like yours only mine has a bit more wear.

Rob

I think it's a cliche for a reason - it is a classic Bass that is well designed and does its job well without any unnecessary complication, and the sunburst/tort/rosewood just kind of looks like a traditional Bass like this should (although I am also keen on White precision with Black Pickguard and white pickups). 

Just now, SumOne said:

I think it's a cliche for a reason - it is a classic Bass that is well designed and does its job well without any unnecessary complication, and the sunburst/tort/rosewood just kind of looks like a traditional Bass like this should (although I am also keen on White precision with Black Pickguard and white pickups). 

I'm sure other basses "fit" other people better, but for me, a P bass just fits. It's like a cosy pair of slippers. I'm very much a traditionalist, some would say conservative (small c), my 6 string guitars reflect that too. But even when I swap to my Jazz bass, it just doesn't feel the same and is ever so slightly ergonomically wrong. As for the tone, my P bass has a deep powerful voice that I haven't heard in any other bass so far.

• Like 2

I also went on a journey figuring out what I like, pausing briefly on short scales, fanned frets, active electronics, 5 strings and headless necks.

I too landed on a precision in the end - in my case, a humble Mexican made one, and it's been all I play for some time now. Don't see it ever going.

I find it hard to get my head around, but I increasingly think ole Leo might have just perfected the design of the electric bass in about 1957, which is stunning really.

Yours is lovely. Nout wrong with burst & tort, but imo that one would look pretty neat with anodised gold too. 👌 

• Like 1

I read the opening post, and gazed around my room at basses of every shape, type and size, and I thought; yep he's quite right really.

I could lose the lot and lead an entirely fulfilling life as a bassist, with just such an instrument.

Sunburst, tort, rosewood, precision.

Beautiful.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, walshy said:

Very nice, you can’t go wrong with a P imo. Only does 1 trick but it’s bloody good at it. 

Whilst I disagree with a man of your stature with some degree of trepidation @walshy, I'm going to. Saying the Precision does only trick is like saying a Ferrari only does one trick, going very fast.

But.....:

2. Looks damn fine

3. Says something profound about the taste of the owner

4. Makes the world a better place by simply existing

I make that four tricks. There are no doubt more 👍

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Whilst I disagree with a man of your stature with some degree of trepidation @walshy, I'm going to. Saying the Precision does only trick is like saying a Ferrari only does one trick, going very fast.

But.....:

2. Looks damn fine

3. Says something profound about the taste of the owner

4. Makes the world a better place by simply existing

I make that four tricks. There are no doubt more 👍

Ha ha I stand corrected. You know me dude, I love a P bass, utterly fabulous things. Think I’m down to 9 now 😂

• Like 1

I'm sold on the P Bass erganomics and tone. And I like the sunburst/tort/rosewood look, it has a 'sitting by a fireplace with a whisky' kind of look to it. Got to say though, on looks alone I do think one of these is my end-game, funky and punky: 

image.png.f13130a75adf1f46c16acf9b01a52e80.png

image.thumb.png.29d0a1b222e1777882344e07a3e076ad.png

• Like 1

A cliche it maybe but here is mine. ‘62 RI CIJ 1999-2002, unable to be more specific with the serial number. Purchased in 2008 from Far Eastern Guitars for £465. Not sure if it is the US or standard model and in any case I’ve put a SD Quarter Pounder in.  Pure P bass, always fancied a year of birth P bass but an American one was out of budget!

487FA251-BF71-4D32-BC25-CD067C67BCEE.jpeg

• Like 4

There is something elegantly simple about a 3TS Precision with a tort scratch-plate. 

I’ve been on a long and winding bass journey over the years. I really enjoyed the diversity of other types of basses (including some active ones), but I keep coming back to where I started. You can’t beat it.

• Like 3