Why become a member? ×

Following the cliche: Precision 62, Sunburst, Tort, Rosewood

SumOne

On 12/10/2022 at 18:10, stewblack said:

I read the opening post, and gazed around my room at basses of every shape, type and size, and I thought; yep he's quite right really.

I could lose the lot and lead an entirely fulfilling life as a bassist, with just such an instrument.

Sunburst, tort, rosewood, precision.

Beautiful.

Do it - just don’t trip over the 17000 effects pedals when you do

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SuperSeagull said:

A cliche it maybe but here is mine. ‘62 RI CIJ 1999-2002, unable to be more specific with the serial number. Purchased in 2008 from Far Eastern Guitars for £465. Not sure if it is the US or standard model and in any case I’ve put a SD Quarter Pounder in.  Pure P bass, always fancied a year of birth P bass but an American one was out of budget!

487FA251-BF71-4D32-BC25-CD067C67BCEE.jpeg

Loverly bass! 

And it is a US model. As well as having US pups, you can spot the US models as they have spiral bridges (apart from the 70s reissues) and have the tuners with the large bass plates.

• Like 1

Despite my generally modern choices of instruments, I also have one. It's great as a reference point or when I want something uncomplicated to learn new material on. but it very rarely leaves the house (had it 7 years).

2005 MIM with Nordstrand NP-4.

747040405_pbass.thumb.jpg.c238c021ef6727adce31fbb9bba87d19.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

Loverly bass! 

And it is a US model. As well as having US pups, you can spot the US models as they have spiral bridges (apart from the 70s reissues) and have the tuners with the large bass plates.

That’s really helpful, thanks!

• Like 1

I’ve got a soft spot for Olympic white basses, especially jazzes, I’ve had so many and my favourite at the moment is a 2014 US one, but when it comes to precision’s I think the sunburst with tort and rosewood just looks so good, I’ve been looking for a US 62 P for quite a while, there seems to be very  few around 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got a soft spot for Olympic white basses, especially jazzes, I’ve had so many and my favourite at the moment is a 2014 US one, but when it comes to precision’s I think the sunburst with tort and rosewood just looks so good, I’ve been looking for a US 62 P for quite a while, there seems to be very  few around 

Ahh, olympic white, one of my favourites too. I've been watching this one, what do you think?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403932586924

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

Ahh, olympic white, one of my favourites too. I've been watching this one, what do you think?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403932586924

Rob

I saw that one, I think it’s been relisted a few times, looks okay but it’s hard to tell without playing it, the colour is ageing nicely 

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I saw that one, I think it’s been relisted a few times, looks okay but it’s hard to tell without playing it, the colour is ageing nicely 

Yeah this was on my radar as the spec I’d love! I enquired about it a while ago (before other life events took me out of the purchasing market), but it came up too heavy at 4.6kg.

Si

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

A word of warning about using the rear of headstock strap button; if you allow the bass body to slip down you could very soon be smashed in the face by those lovely machineheads and spitting blood and teeth. Not a good look.

Using just the headstock and horn strap buttons is the winning move. 

• Haha 2

Musical instruments are like fine women. Nearly all the good ones are already in the hands of someone else who has no intention of parting with them.

All the others sometimes get left on the shelf and I am not talking about looks here but heart and  hidden qualities

To the ladies among us the same can obviously be said about men.

Edited by Ralf1e

I got a 62 cij reissue off here .Sunburst,rosewood board etc . 90s one 

Really disappointed with it .Ok to play just no real tone or bite .

Bought a Player precision during Covid and its ten times better .Neck to die for ,that P punch and grind 

wish i kept it mind you