Why become a member? ×

Novel eq design wharfedale

la bam

Evening all 

Just looking around at different amps and set ups - as you do....

I came across an older wharfedale 300w solid state head. Had a host of features on it, but one that took my eye. Instead of the usual 3 band eq, it had 6 dials. On closer inspection they were bass, mid, hi, but next to each one was a completely adjustable parametric eq dial for that frequency area.

I think that's a great idea, so you know what you are boosting or cutting and not reliant on more determined eq centre points.

Anyone else ever come across this on an amp?

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

Far from unique. SWR were doing parametric in the 90's. Ashdown might be the only surviving major bass amp maker that was doing it but there's a few fancy modern digital modeling amps and preamps these days with parametric up the wazoo.

57 minutes ago, 3below said:

Peavey bass combos, also heads e.g. Centurion, Standard of the early 1980s had a parametric mid. 

Yes, lots with parametric mids, but never seen a parametric for each of bass, mid, high. In theory it should really open up an amp.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Pedant Alert... These amps are all 'semi' parametric, none have a Q control but I concede we refer to them as parametric EQ.  ;)

My Peavy head in the early 80s had a fully parametric mid with a Q control. I’m not sure I made much use of it though. 

13 minutes ago, Velarian said:

My Peavy head in the early 80s had a fully parametric mid with a Q control. I’m not sure I made much use of it though. 

Indeed, I think a few companies dabbled with a set of controls inc Q for the mids and fixed broader centres for the lows and highs but they weren't well received.  A few companies then moved to Notch Filters for taming troublesome frequencies, most useful if using acoustic instruments.

Amplified Music Products (AMP) brought semi-parametric amplifiers (BH-260 and -420 + preamp + combo) to the markets in the 1980's. SWR looks a lot like AMP. This is because the former Acoustic designer Russ Allee has been involved with AMP, SWR, and Eden.

45 minutes ago, itu said:

Amplified Music Products (AMP) brought semi-parametric amplifiers (BH-260 and -420 + preamp + combo) to the markets in the 1980's. SWR looks a lot like AMP. This is because the former Acoustic designer Russ Allee has been involved with AMP, SWR, and Eden.

What is the link between Dave Funk and Russ Allee?  I was always under the impression that DF was the link between Gibson/AMP/SWR.  

I owned an Ashdown MiBass which had the same kind of EQ system. When I owned it I had no idea it had a parametric EQ (as I got it secondhand and I didn't get any manual). It sounded fine with everything centered, so I didn't fiddle about with the EQ much. Supposedly it didn't catch on, as the controls were a bit too complicated for our simple, bassist, brains. https://ashdownmusic.com/products/mibass-550

image.png.c6b63fb37caa5e38c6964fafe6643f12.png

25 minutes ago, krispn said:

Skip to about 2:50 for audio

Looks lovely. 

Isnt that just mids that are adjustable though? (Quite difficult to see on my phone).

The wharfedale had bass, miss and high adjustable frequencies.

Edited by la bam

There's been a (semi)parametric on the Walkabout, and the M-Pulses (it even says 'Semi-Parametric' on those) for decades, and the newish WD800 too...I've always liked it, especially as dialling back the bass one with both knobs on the Walkabout (-15db at 30Hz) gives a rather useful HPF-like effect...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

There's been a (semi)parametric on the Walkabout, and the M-Pulses (it even says 'Semi-Parametric' on those) for decades, and the newish WD800 too...I've always liked it, especially as dialling back the bass one with both knobs on the Walkabout (-15db at 30Hz) gives a rather useful HPF-like effect...

Is that a dial on all of the 3 - Bass, treble, and mids? It's the ability to shift the bass frequency I like the idea of. I'll have a look if so.