Why become a member? ×

Disposable cash/guitar investments/flipping.

NancyJohnson

I have a bit of hard earned money sitting in Premium Bonds, wife gave me the thumbs up to draw some of it down and buy something that might appreciate over the next few years.

Having missed out on the Slash Les Paul 4 and the two Korina 58 reissues of the Explorer and Flying V, she suggested I should start small (I'm not looking to make zillions out of this) and see what happens.  So I did what any bassist would do under the circumstances and spent a ridiculous amount (albeit a fair price) on something that I pick it up next Saturday.  Not saying what, but it's not a bass. 

Quite excited.  I definitely have my eye on something else that should be coming this year, too.  I will be discussing this when I collect.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

So I did what any bassist would do under the circumstances and spent a ridiculous amount (albeit a fair price) on something that I pick it up next Saturday.  Not saying what, but it's not a bass. 

Quite excited.  I definitely have my eye on something else that should be coming this year, too.  I will be discussing this when I collect.

Is it that tiara on eBay,

“fits small woman, no longer required”? 

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Is it that new tulip-shaped monstrosity? 

Gold star.

Yup, I bought a Gibson Theodore.  While I appreciate it's somewhat of a visual oddity (and while it certainly won't win any prizes in a beauty contest, monstrosity is a bit harsh), I had a quick noodle on it and it plays/balances/sounds (and smells) wonderful - it's back in the case/box and probably won't come out until I decide to sell it.  It's limited to 318 (106 each, natural, cherry, ebony).  There's only a couple left on sale globally (I got mine for well under what these are on sale for). 

20220917_133631.jpg

• Like 1

I actually quite like that Theodore, 2 P90s, what's not to like

I bought a Slash AFD guitar in 2010, brand new and unseen from Andertons. It was £2K. They made 600 of them.

I didn't much like the top on it but it is an amazing souding guitar. I gigged it hard for about 4 years but it's now resting in its case, in the music room.

It's very difficult to guess what will appreciate in value but I once saw on the TV, buy it if you love it because if you love it, somebody else will too.

I always wanted a Red Fender Precision special from the early 80s too, with a maple board and just as we went into lockdown I did a deal with my Steinberger and got one.

I love it but it's so clean I don't want to gig it. I may even hang it on the wall.

And my latest purchase, possibly to make a bit of money, is a signed Brian May Red Special. I have been gigging the natural one for over 2 years now, a really great sounding guitar

DSC00040.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

bass.jpg

20220904_132432.jpg

1 hour ago, police squad said:

I actually quite like that Theodore, 2 P90s, what's not to like

I bought a Slash AFD guitar in 2010, brand new and unseen from Andertons. It was £2K. They made 600 of them.

I didn't much like the top on it but it is an amazing souding guitar. I gigged it hard for about 4 years but it's now resting in its case, in the music room.

It's very difficult to guess what will appreciate in value but I once saw on the TV, buy it if you love it because if you love it, somebody else will too.

I always wanted a Red Fender Precision special from the early 80s too, with a maple board and just as we went into lockdown I did a deal with my Steinberger and got one.

I love it but it's so clean I don't want to gig it. I may even hang it on the wall.

And my latest purchase, possibly to make a bit of money, is a signed Brian May Red Special. I have been gigging the natural one for over 2 years now, a really great sounding guitar

DSC00040.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

bass.jpg

20220904_132432.jpg

I saw a load of signed Brian May stuff when I went to pick up my EUB from the Bass Centre about a year ago.  Barry Moorehouse had been over to see him that morning.

In-built rarity through "limited production runs" is one of the easiest ways to get burned. That rarity can be destroyed any time the manufacturer decides to cash in.

I'm a firm believer in letting the marketplace (that's people like you and me, not antique dealers or eBay traders) decide what is valuable and then, if I like it, I might buy one.

I own several instruments which are appreciating steadily in value, though none of them is 'investment grade'. I play them fairly regularly, don't worry too much about the threat of adding another scratch, and never need to worry that a 1957 Precision or a 1965 CAR Precision might start to lose value.

• Like 1