Why become a member? ×

Talk to me about the pitfalls and vagaries of having a 12 string bass built (Eee Aaa Ddd Ggg)

warwickhunt

So I rehearsed with the Musicvox tonight... I have an ABSOLUTE new respect for Tom Petersson!  

I've owned 12s  in the past but never used them in anger, boy o boy o boy is that different to noodling in the house. 

How the hell does Tom get through a 30 minute support slot never mind 90 mins+ and he doesn't ever switch back to 4 strings live. 

Maybe build up to it slowly?

Try a couple of weeks with just one octave string in each course, and once you're comfortable with that for a set's worth of songs, fit the additional strings back on.

I speak as an 8-string player, who never really had that much of a problem using one.

Edited by BigRedX

I've owned an 8 (Warwick formerly owned by Hellmut Hattler custom paint job) and found it fine to play even at a gig, the 12 in the house is OK.  It's when you need to get it 100% correct and fret all of the notes/strings AND deal with the sound of the rest of the band!  However, yes it will be a slow build rather than 2 x 45 straight off.  Luckily I took other basses (short and long scale).   :)  

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

The nut looks to be wider than most on the Musicvox, it might not be but the neck doesn't appear to taper hardly at all. I'd imagine that would make it harder to play if the three stings in each course are spaced wider. 

It is WIDE... 59mm nut / 68mm 12th fret to be exact.  

I need to play with a plectrum so the inverted strings are not ideal but workable.

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Are the holes for the machine head posts all the same size? It's not obvious from the photo you posted.

If so you could change it so the octave strings come first simply by exchanging the outer two machine heads in each course, flipping round the bridge saddles and cutting a new nut.

Sadly not so I'd need to plug them.

I'm glad someone has bought that Antoria as i've been eying it up since it was first advertised! (i don't have space for any more basses at the moment)

If you want to see an example of @Andyjr1515's handywork then you would be welcome to have a noodle on the 5 string shortscale that he built me  Build Thread, drop me a PM if you have any questions

Matt

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Matt P said:

I'm glad someone has bought that Antoria as i've been eying it up since it was first advertised! (i don't have space for any more basses at the moment)

If you want to see an example of @Andyjr1515's handywork then you would be welcome to have a noodle on the 5 string shortscale that he built me  Build Thread, drop me a PM if you have any questions

Matt

That build is awesome!  

Been thinking, depending on what scale length you settle on, you could do something similar to the traveller guitars and basses with the drone strings to lessen the headstock mass?

Edited by JPJ

A little late to the party. Sorry guys.

I really should check in more often.

As far as I'm concerned there are two major bottle necks in building a twelve string bass.

First one is the bridge. Very hard to find.

The ones that I use are custom built by ETS Hardware in Germany, But they are completely overbooked. Some customers have been waiting on their hardware for more than a year...
I don't know of any other manufacturer that sells them commercially. I scored one off Dean a few years ago. But that was a demo model. They don't have them for sale.

Second problem is the machine heads. Twelve is an enormous amount of metal on your headstock. You want to have them as light as possible to avoid neck dive.
I've been using Gotoh Res-o-lite bass tuners. Those are still available.
But the Gotoh Stealth ST-31 that I've been using for the octave strings have been taken out of production. These are/were really light. All the other "lightweight" tuners are twice the weight of the ST-31...

The twelve string basses that I've built are all 34" scale.

Edited by Basvarken
  • Like 2

On 11/09/2022 at 13:27, Maude said:

My, frankly unconventional, brain is starting to make stupid noises again. 

If you want to commission, and are happy to fund, a proper 'tribute' bass then I totally get that. But if keeping costs down come into play, could an existing bass be converted? 

I don't know the kind of neck dimensions a 12 string has but if bigger than your average four string could a five string become a doner? 

Plug the machine head holes with dowel, veneer the headstock and re-drill for 12 tuners. Replace the nut and bridge and Bob's your proverbial. 

You could then take it as far as you want. 

Bad idea.
Most five string necks have only one truss rod. You really need two truss rods to withstand the gigantic string pull of the twelve strings. I even add a carbon strip in between the two truss rods.

Edited by Basvarken
  • Like 1

On 12/09/2022 at 18:14, warwickhunt said:

Indeed and I checked out his amazing work but going off comments on various sites/threads, we'd be talking easily in excess of £3-4k.  :/  

Not saying his work isn't worth that, it is but am I going to max my budget out on this project... I doubt it.  

More like £2750 - 3250. Depends on the specs really. If you don't want a fancy flamed or quilted top and no weird finish you could stay on the lower side.

59 minutes ago, Basvarken said:

More like £2750 - 3250. Depends on the specs really. If you don't want a fancy flamed or quilted top and no weird finish you could stay on the lower side.

I’d love to commission a Bas from you - my ailing Volvo needing a replacement is more necessary currently 😔

• Like 1