Jump to content
Left leaderboard

Basvarken

Members
  • Content Count

    118
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Basvarken last won the day on February 29

Basvarken had the most liked content!

Total Watts

158 Excellent

About Basvarken

  • Birthday 28/07/1968

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Wow! The Brooks Grabbird is Bass of the Week at NoTreble! https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2020/03/09/bass-of-the-week-brooks-grabbird/
  2. Well that would be difficult. The flame is an international warning sign. It doesn't belong to anyone really. I've been using it as a logo since I was a teenager, because I used to be a highly flammable little upstart. 😂 I'm more mellow now, but the flame stuck 😉
  3. Thank you. The pickup is a "Thunderbird Bass Pickup Vintage Style for Gibson" by EY guitar Music. I'm a huge fan of those pickups.
  4. Here's a video to give you an impression of the sounds of the Brooks Grabbird
  5. The Grabbird has a 16'" radius
  6. No I haven't , but I did modify my JCS a bit. Inspired by the first generation of the Les Paul Signature bass
  7. No problem Andy. Send me the specs and I'll make you a quote.
  8. Made a template for the controls cover And I though of a solution for securing the pickup frame without ruining the clean look. I drilled holes for tiny magnets in each corner. In the back side of the frame. And I would place screws or carpet nails in the middle section of the body for the magnets to snap onto. Cut the slot for the top nut Prior to staining the body I used pore filler because the mahogany has very open grain. When the grain filler was sanded flush I stained the bass with a waterbased bright red colour by Clou. After the first layers of clear coat acrylic it looked like this I applied the water slide decals After many layers of acrylic and lots of sanding in between A friend of mine has a laser cutter. I sent him the design for the pickguard and the logo. He cut it out and engraved the flame logo for me!
  9. Drilled the holes for the bridge studs Drilled the holes for the tuners Center piece almost ready for glueing the wings I had a nice slab of curly mahogany for the wings. First I glued the lower wing. Then the upper wing. No pics of routing the control cavity in the lower (sorry) Cut the rough body shape to get ready for the router to cut along the template. I have no pics of the planing of the wings to make them taper (just like the Thunderbird wings do) But here's a (not so clear) pic of the taper in one of the wings. You can see I had to fill up the gaps between the wings and the template because of the taper. Routed the body shape
  10. I bought a piece of ebony and sanded it to a thickness of about mm. Sawed it in the shape for the headstock overlay. I drilled small holes for tiny nails that prevent the faceplate from sliding while glued and clamped. Printed out a paper template of the design to check the definite shape. Did a few tests for the sliding mechanism. I used scrap wood that I had lying around When I knew the sliding mechanism worked according to plan, I glued the fretboard onto the neck. I always use strips of bicycle tubes tied together by mean of clamping. You get a nice and even pressure on the entire fretboard. And it doesn't slide because its wrapped all around. I cut the parts for the sliding mechanism from the same nine ply center piece. I just used the part that was under the neck. I had to remove a lot of wood there anyway. And I routed some slots for the pickup screws and the pickup wiring I sawed a hole for the pickup in the part that was going to be the frame. Plus I routed the back side, so the plate with the pickup would fit in nicely.
  11. I started out with a big mahogany neck blank. I went to a friend who has a saw table and cut it into four long pieces. Plus I bought some maple veneer to put in between those pieces. I had another piece of slightly darker mahogany lying around, which I used for the middle. It was a bit of a puzzle because there were two tiny) knots in the blank that I would rather avoid in the new laminated blank. I made sure they were in the outer ends of the blank. Next I routed the truss rod channel. And chiseled out the part where the spoke wheel goes. Sawed the neck blank into a rough shape for the neck, headstock paddle and the middle part of the body. Bought a nice piece of rosewood. And drilled holes for the position dots. Glued them in and sanded them flush with the fretboard in tjhe correct radius of 16".
  12. I have just finished my latest bass build. It's the Brooks Grabbird. This bass combines the 1964 Gibson Thunderbird II with the 1973 Gibson Grabber. It features a nine ply neck through construction just like the Thunderbird. But with strips of maple veneer in between the mahogany, instead of walnut. The nickel covered humbucker resembles the pickup of the sixties Thunderbird. But the sliding mechanism in the raised middle section refers to the Grabber of course. The shape of the headstock echoes the Grabber headstock, but the ebony veneer on top is a nod to the Thunderbird headstock. The shorter headstock and the Ultra-lite tuners make sure it doesn't suffer any neckdive! Specs: - Neck through with figured mahogany body wings - Nine ply mahogany/maple neck - Ebony faceplate on headstock - Cherry gloss transparent acrylic finish - Rosewood fretboard - Jumbo frets - 34" scale - Handcut bone nut - Three ply white-black-white pickguard - Wide travel Thunderbird bridge plus tailstop - Spokewheel trussrod - Sliding Thunderbird pickup nickel. 9.2 K Ohm - Hipshot ultralite nickel plated tuners - Volume pot Bourns 500 kOhms logarithmic SRT - Tone pot Bourns 500 kOhms logarithmic SRT - Kemet capacitor 47 nF paper insulation - D'Addario Nickel plated Roundwound 45-105
×
×
  • Create New...