Why become a member? ×

Talk to me about the pitfalls and vagaries of having a 12 string bass built (Eee Aaa Ddd Ggg)

warwickhunt

2 minutes ago, JGTay said:

You could go with a DP12 and have a new body made with the correct pickup. Keep the DP12 body as is and then just swap it if you want to sell it at a later date.

At least that way you wouldn't have the extra cost of having a custom bridge made. 

Ah OK so not butchering the existing body but as it is a BO neck, just transfer the neck and all hardware onto another (custom made) body... got it.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The maker of the Brooks 12-string is a member here on Basschat and there's a thread on the build of one here.

Indeed and I checked out his amazing work but going off comments on various sites/threads, we'd be talking easily in excess of £3-4k.  :/  

Not saying his work isn't worth that, it is but am I going to max my budget out on this project... I doubt it.  

• Like 1

OK we are 2 steps closer to resolution... and 3 steps further back at the same time!  

Unbelievably I stumbled (after hours of Google searches and trawling) upon an actual bona fide 12 string bass not 30 minutes from where I live.  Not the bass I want or need but as a used purchase, if it comes to nothing, I can sit with it as an objet d'art/talking/laughing point until such time as another sad git comes along looking for a 12er.  

I have also purchased the short scale Hamer double cut look alike highlighted in this thread (cheers @benebass), which might or might not form part of the travelling circus that is my Cheap Trick tribute.  

Options are all on the table with what I can/can't do now so I'm taking EVERYTHING to the rehearsal tomorrow and seeing where we go.  It doesn't take a genius to work out that the Musicvox does NOT balance (hence the old stylee acoustic guitar string anchor to the neck).  

Start pointing out the obvious does/don'ts by all means and I'll sit and try to figure out wtf I am doing next!  LOL

image.png.6fbe1e8eecc15b3dc64c637f54acde3c.png

5 minutes ago, Cato said:

Sounds like I'm a bit late but has anyone suggested the Schecter Dug Pinnick 

Yes thanks the merits were discussed earlier.  The Musicvox acquisition likely eases back on another full blown 12 string purchase (Sod's Law a pukka Hamer TP turns up now) but who knows.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

OK we are 2 steps closer to resolution... and 3 steps further back at the same time!  

Unbelievably I stumbled (after hours of Google searches and trawling) upon an actual bona fide 12 string bass not 30 minutes from where I live.  Not the bass I want or need but as a used purchase, if it comes to nothing, I can sit with it as an objet d'art/talking/laughing point until such time as another sad git comes along looking for a 12er.  

I have also purchased the short scale Hamer double cut look alike highlighted in this thread (cheers @benebass), which might or might not form part of the travelling circus that is my Cheap Trick tribute.  

Options are all on the table with what I can/can't do now so I'm taking EVERYTHING to the rehearsal tomorrow and seeing where we go.  It doesn't take a genius to work out that the Musicvox does NOT balance (hence the old stylee acoustic guitar string anchor to the neck).  

Start pointing out the obvious does/don'ts by all means and I'll sit and try to figure out wtf I am doing next!  LOL

image.png.6fbe1e8eecc15b3dc64c637f54acde3c.png

Erm 😐 that is not the prettiest bass I’ve known you to own John 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Maude said:

Ah, that won't work then 😁

Does that Musicvox neck taper at all? It looks huge at the nut. 

It is!  :(  

1 minute ago, JPJ said:

That Hamer is a Purdy little thing aint it 

Is that the Antoria/Hamer?  It would look like Ally Lee playing a Uke if you played it (local 'in' joke)!  

Right, last attempt.😁

Cut the top of the headstock off just above the tuners, glue on a pair of triangles and cover the entire face with a black pickguard to get the Hamer headstock shape. 

Cut both body wings off to leave a cricket bat style bass, glue two new oversize wings on and shape to a Hamer(ish) shape but with enough top horn to balance. 

The important central part of the Musicvox with all the hardware will be completely unchanged. 

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Right, last attempt.😁

Cut the top of the headstock off just above the tuners, glue on a pair of triangles and cover the entire face with a black pickguard to get the Hamer headstock shape. 

Cut both body wings off to leave a cricket bat style bass, glue two new oversize wings on and shape to a Hamer(ish) shape but with enough top horn to balance. 

The important central part of the Musicvox with all the hardware will be completely unchanged. 

^ this

9 hours ago, Maude said:

Right, last attempt.😁

Yes I think that is the only viable option to get as close to the Hamer B12A as is possible; making the B12S would involve a massive double cut body.  

Sounds ridiculous as I am the initiator of this thread but I've discovered a variation on this Musicvox to all other Musicvox or any other 12 string that I've subsequently researched and I didn't even notice it when I was trying/collecting it!  Can you see what it is? 

OoI how "authentic" do you expect the rest of the band to be?

In many ways Cheap Trick's image is as important as the music, and for the casual gig-goer if your "Rick Nielsen" isn't playing checker-board Explorer-style guitars and either pull out one ridiculous multi-neck instrument or do the wearing multiple guitars for the solo spot, they may well be disappointed.

Just trying to put the 12-string bass requirement into perspective.

Yes the 12 is 'inverted'... not sure if that is easier or harder to play.  Turns out this Musicvox was a prototype where they were going to offer an inverted string option... like anyone cared.  LOL  

@BigRedX yes the guitarist has a range of guitars (Les Paul, Hamer etc) but the multineck thing is even more obscure than my 12er but you are correct it puts it in perspective for the band/me.  I suppose I just want to do the role to the best of my ability; the fact that I have a similar appearance and look to TP is (genuine) coincidence... I think.  :)  

Where the root strings are in relation to the octaves will depend on whether or not your are a pick player (or intend to be for this band). From my experience with 8-string basses if you play with a pick and use mainly downstrokes having the roots string "first" will make it easier to get the choice between sounding and not sounding the octave string(s). Of course if you play finger style the other way around will be better.

On 11/09/2022 at 13:16, warwickhunt said:

Not silly ideas at all @Maude and something I am considering.  Hardware costs will be the same whether I use a doner or a custom build.  

I suppose the biggest drawback is finding a bass in 5 string mode (yes neck needs to be about 55mm wide at the nut) that could accommodate 12 tuners on the headstock AND be of a shape that would fit my tribute needs.  It rules out ALL Fender style basses and if you look at images of 12ers (inc in my original post), every one has 6 on each side headstock... and they are long!  :)  

Add an extension to the headstock using metal dowels to strengthen the join?

Looking at my Dean Edge 10-string, I doubt you could even convert that to 12 string.