Why become a member? ×

When you've agreed to help a band out on bass... and you can see the railway crash looming!

warwickhunt

My opinion is there's nothing worse than grown men getting up on stage, in front of an audience, and sounding like a school band.

I'm constantly bamboozled by some of my musician friends willingness to get up on stage and make a complete derrière of themselves, because they haven't been prepared to put some work in rehearsing and learning the songs to a decent level.

I have great admiration in your loyalty to your friends. The singer definitely sounds delusional. I would definitely have bailed by now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gjones said:

I have great admiration in your loyalty to your friends. The singer definitely sounds delusional. I would definitely have bailed by now.

Friends... up until that rehearsal I'd never met anyone in the band! 

Actually that isn't true; one of the guitarists is the son of a friend and left me feeling humble when he said he'd been inspired by me when he came with his parents to a BBQ at our house (13 years old) and saw all my basses hang on the walls... humble and old!  :)  

8 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Have you had the tech spec and parking details etc yet? Those are the things that tend to worry me, rather than playing the material.

Yep that's me as well.  :/  

Unbelievably I've had to chase that up myself and I've been assured that even though we are late to the party, they can cover our needs easy enough and they'll sort the parking when we get there.

• Like 1

I can feel my anxiety levels rising just reading this thread. 

I always have really bad nerves before and during a gig. I wouldn't even dream of taking something like this on. Fair play to you. I hope it's "alright on the night", as it were. But yeah, the singer sounds like a totally clueless wannabe. 

• Like 2

Don't even joke about him bailing... actually he's too delusional, he'll be thinking it's like a scene from a film and he pulls it out of the bag.  :/  

As a back up it's probably best I print the lyrics off and we'll just do a karaoke with folks from the audience... can't be worse (can it?)!  :)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I can feel my anxiety levels rising just reading this thread.

Me too, and I don't normally suffer from bad nerves. I think in order, my concerns would be no singer, parking, tech. Having just been through a 'no singer' scare, I have started learning some simple songs to sing (I struggle playing bass riffs and singing, and that's before my poor vocal skills). I've had to park in some dodgy places in the past ("park as far away from the fence as possible as the kids like to throw half bricks at the cars" was one memorable line from a club owner). We usually have enough kit between us to cope with most tech issues.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

• Like 1

Video on the way (when I figure out how to upload a large video file)... would have done it yesterday but I had another late afternoon/evening gig straight after!  :) 

The guy turned up (he was at the festival with his parents for the weekend any way) and assured everyone he'd been rehearsing... and we got through it.  ;)  

Full update when I get this file!  

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

In all honesty, I've heard far, far worse from well rehearsed gigging bands. I know it's only a short clip but I'd say you got away with it. 

Very cool stage by the way. 

TBH the other guys pulled their weight and learned the stuff, the singer might have taken on-board my calling a time out in the rehearsal and went away with insight into what was needed.  The stage was the 'other' stage to the main stage but I quite liked it and the sound guys literally did a 60 second line check and we were ready.  

• Like 1