Why become a member? ×

I am done with it!

Guest aDx

3 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Without knowing what your gear is, I doubt you'll find a buyer for a job-lot. Best to separate it out in my opinion (again, pending what you have).

Si

well i am not saying here as mods will get grumpy.. going on holiday end of moth.. will advertise after that

going with my Italian mate Mark... 

12 minutes ago, aDx said:

well i am not saying here as mods will get grumpy.. going on holiday end of moth.. will advertise after that

going with my Italian mate Mark... 

Indeed, not saying you should say here (as a mod, I would get 'grumpy'), just giving you some advice :)

Si

Never give up dude, I'm 64 (the grumpy old git) and play in two bands. One is a very serious blues band and the other is a kinda soul/r & b/Blues Brothers outfit and we played a blinder at an outdoor festival on Sunday night. Step back man.

I would not advice selling up.

Try a few more routes in music... and worse case keep enough gear to be  bedroom player. But keep some kind of gear for the bedroom and if you get an invite to jam or whatever.

Edited by Nail Soup
Corrected- would NOT advise selling up

On 22/08/2022 at 14:37, aDx said:

not a sympathy thing just saying goodbye really

i am sick of trying to organise bands and sick of the same old covers!!  

no-one PLAYS anymore.....   and if they write their own I am too old!   

Still i am going out with the best bass setup/sound i have ever had!  so thats nice. I guess you have to know when you are done with it?

It will all be sold soon... 

Hope everyone finds there dreams!!  :)

I think that if you are determined to continue to play, be it live, jamming out with mates or recording, then there is every chance that you will. I may be wrong, but I am picking up a degree of anger or resentment in your post. If so, then IMO Never a good way to part company with something you once, or may still have a love for.

• Like 2

I found the perfect remedy for this malady of which I too have been thru a few times, each time stretching my enthusiasm to a slither...I took up the Tenor recorder, learned to read treble clef and now cannot put it down..I can play what I like, when I like, where I like and have thousands of tunes to choose from and people love it.

40 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

I found the perfect remedy for this malady of which I too have been thru a few times, each time stretching my enthusiasm to a slither...I took up the Tenor recorder, learned to read treble clef and now cannot put it down..I can play what I like, when I like, where I like and have thousands of tunes to choose from and people love it.

same here with flute and trombone i find most of my tracks now have flute and bone in them somewhere, although i cant say with conviction people love my playing  🙉.... yet...   but im working on it 😎

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 02:43, BassAdder27 said:

I’ve been there and quit and sold all my gear. It wasn’t the answer 

The solution was finding the right people to play with in a band who become your buddies too.

Im 62 and enjoy playing good old rock classics and new rock and the audience don’t seem to care about band age.

We do have a younger super fit female singer that has an amazing voice and that helps a lot 

Take a short break and maybe find new people to gig with 

Playing with " good people " who are all on the same page helps. I'd never be able to find another band like the one I've been in for the last 15 years. I'm in the best band I can be in.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 21:23, Nail Soup said:

I would not advice selling up.

Try a few more routes in music... and worse case keep enough gear to be  bedroom player. But keep some kind of gear for the bedroom and if you get an invite to jam or whatever.

Whoops... just noticed a typo in my original post...

I advised to sell up....... I actually meant to not sell up (as shown in the now-corrected post.

Like most have already said "don't give up just yet"

I'm 62 and play in a 70's Glam covers band and a 70's punk covers band. 

I love both bands and altho i was into Glam back in its hey day and was my first step into buying records its not my favoured style of music. Punk was never a music i was really into and was surprised just how much fun it was to pay.

I'm into Prog and classic rock but you can play in any style of band and just take the songs for what they are. I put a lot into both bands.

I've tried the originals prog bands but they came to nothing for various reasons but if i came across a band doing something i liked i might give it a try but would never give up what i have as its just so much great fun in both bands. 

You'd be surprised how difficult punk is to play at 62. The stamina required really surprised me. I play fingetsyle. Its like Iron Maiden with attitude LOL

Take a wee break, keep the gear in storage somewhere and let yourself relax and think about options. 

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice!  very kind. I have listened...

I have applied for a bass job with a band....  its the last one tho

If I get the audition  will see how it is......   If not ok.... then will sell up. simples. No regrets

I am moving to Frinton next year and retiring hopefully as well.... so that may decide it too..

on a plus side... I have been playing 50 years!!  OMG!   cant believe it...  lol   time flys! (flies?)

I've been playing 46yrs now altho i did take a break due to work commitments.

Have to say since i retired and now have lots more free time (apart from the many chores i now have) i'm enjoying being in bands far more now than i ever did. Its more relaxed. Just nicer.

Dave

3 hours ago, aDx said:

Thanks for all the advice!  very kind. I have listened...

I have applied for a bass job with a band....  its the last one tho

If I get the audition  will see how it is......   If not ok.... then will sell up. simples. No regrets

I am moving to Frinton next year and retiring hopefully as well.... so that may decide it too..

on a plus side... I have been playing 50 years!!  OMG!   cant believe it...  lol   time flys! (flies?)

Sounds like a plan and one you are comfortable with. Well done on 50 years of playing!. 

After 40 years of playing I retired 3 years ago and no regrets. I happen to get on really well with my other half and  have enjoyed the free weekends, being able to travel alot more as a result. One of the surprising experiences is going to gigs and not being bothered about the gear the bass player is using and paying attention to technical concerns. I am a regular punter now and find that much more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

I'm 64 (65 in Feb) Got fedup w/ the classifieds, Bandmix etc. Put up MY OWN pitch in Craigslist.

You have to consider this is central NJ, smack-dab between NYC&Philidelphia. 

"Gong/Canterbury. Get it? Stick player"

I GOT REPLYS! 

Am sorting it out, but in discussions w/ a 60-ish keyboard/guitarist who lives 20mins away and has a studio in his house that used to be a bar. (I delivered a pizza to him 17yrs ago, there was an upright bass in the "bar")

Lives in Sayreville NJ and he fired from a recording audition John Bongiovi. (yes that one, before he could control his voice and changed his name.)

Also got replys from a flute, and drummer that wrote for Modern Drummer.

Gotta paint past the edge of the canvas sometimes...

• Like 3

I've been playing bass for 47 years and guitar for a bit longer than that. Just joined a classic rock covers band (I understand there's a gap in the market), and also in a prog rock originals band of which I am the second most senior member.

What sort of originals band do you want to be in? Genres do tend to have age bands.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

Sounds like a plan and one you are comfortable with. Well done on 50 years of playing!. 

After 40 years of playing I retired 3 years ago and no regrets. I happen to get on really well with my other half and  have enjoyed the free weekends, being able to travel alot more as a result. One of the surprising experiences is going to gigs and not being bothered about the gear the bass player is using and paying attention to technical concerns. I am a regular punter now and find that much more enjoyable. 

Sometimes you just know its time to make a change. 

Dave

• Like 1

I'm in a great band, least I was until personalities got in the way and the singer quit. The persona of the band is wrapped up in her so we're done😪

https://www.missbowie.co.uk/

Last gig will be at The Water Rats in London on 8th October so I guess we'll go out in style - it's where Dylan did his first UK gig.

We've been gigging for almost exactly 5 years - ironic or what for a Bowie Tribute band.