Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig of choice for the weekend ** Basschat edition**

bassace97

As I have joined a new , to me, classic rock/metal covers band and have to compete with Animal on the drums and 2 Leary 100w Marshall's I thought I would trot this set up out. Total overkill but my god it sounds good. Sadly I might have to retire the DBS heads as parts are almost impossible to find these days but I'll go down fightingIMG_20221029_235309.thumb.jpg.c3a56a331c60c12b03666dd7551c6270.jpg..apologies for being in the photo....check out the fantastic Tee shirt my drummer made...(my name's Carl obvs) on the back it says "probably the best bass player in the band" not actually sure that's true... 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Great rig, the DBS range was very under-rated and under-appreciated imo

Couldn't agree more.... The heads have some serious fire power and headroom for days. The 2x15 are quite rare but is one of the best sounding cabs I've ever heard. I have a 1 x15 version as well but it doesn't quite carry the same amount of heft.... But sadly therein lies part of the problem...they weigh a ton! You can't quite see it but I broke my left shoulder in June and am still recovering...this was taken after 2 hours of playing and the strap took its toll on my clavical which is why I am holding the bass....without my band mates helping me , shifting them would have been nigh on impossible..... However they are an absolute bargain used.... 

The rig ....not my band mates...they are definitely not a bargain....😂

Edited by Dudgeman
  • Like 1

On 19/08/2022 at 21:25, stereoplayer said:

Love this thread here too!

My main gigging rig these days.

Custom stereo Jazz bass wired stereo.

Two GK MB-200 heads.

Roland GP-8  effects unit for the bridge PU only. A Roland FC-100/EV-5,  foot controller(not in pic).

One MarkBass 102, 8 Ohm cab on the top,  one MarkBass 102, 4 Ohm cab on the bottom(neck PU).

For a total of about 350 Watts.

I love it.

A876E5D0-21E3-402F-AFAB-D9E68C6BEC88.jpeg

I have never owned a fender bass although i did once spend an afternoon in a shop trying them out and the only one that hit the right spot was a Victor Bailey signature bass. 

This one of yours looks great, what is the spec. 👍🏽🤔

On 02/11/2022 at 23:54, Downunderwonder said:

It depends on the efficiency of the cabs. In theory it would even be possible for the 410 to hold back the 210, just stupidly unlikely.

If the cabs were brothers from the same mother and father and the 210 was half of the 410 with 16 ohm drivers instead of 8 ohm it would be easier to predict. Then there is the complication of how much the amp can give.

If the amp were capable of fully driving either and/or both cabs at the same time it works out that the 210 holds back the 410 to half its power and the combined stack results in 1.5dB more output than the 410 can do by itself.

Given the 210 is supposedly 250w and the 410 only 350w one could assume the 210 is relatively less efficient than the 410, so a bigger handbrake on the stack, further reducing the expected increase from stacking.

Putting speakers up close to your ears though will make it appear much much louder when standing close.

Thinking about this again, doesn't a 1.5dB increase in volume mean a 50% increase, which would seem common sense since there's a 50% increase in speaker area?

4 hours ago, asingardenof said:
On 03/11/2022 at 12:54, Downunderwonder said:

Thinking about this again, doesn't a 1.5dB increase in volume mean a 50% increase,

No. That doesn't even make any sense to me.

A 3dB increase in speaker sensitivity would mean you need half the power to get the same loudness, or you get 3dB louder for the same power.

+3dB is the minimum amount of volume bump that can be reliably noticed by an unsophisticated listener in a B follows A test.

+10dB is defined as twice as loud.

A good way to get lots louder is to add a 2nd identical 8 ohm cab to your 1st one. Often the amp these days is quite capable of maxing out the one 8 ohm cab and also fine driving two as loud as they will go.

In that case you are going from zero headroom to 6dB of headroom if you keep playing as loud as you were before and only use the extra for the exciting bits. 3dB from cab and 3dB from the extra power delivered.

Say you kept 6dB back using the one cab. Now you got 12dB up your sleeve for the jollies.

Ah, I'm getting confused between sound energy and volume it seems. In layman's terms (which very much applies to me) would it be vaguely correct to say that running the two cabs together would be about 10% louder than the 4x10 on its own, or in other words not worth the hassle?

4 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Ah, I'm getting confused between sound energy and volume it seems. In layman's terms (which very much applies to me) would it be vaguely correct to say that running the two cabs together would be about 10% louder than the 4x10 on its own, or in other words not worth the hassle?

I don’t think it’s worth the effort of carrying two cabs dude :)

• Like 1

Two gigs this weekend. 1st set up is for an Eagles tribute band 'The Long Road'. Peavey Minimax 600 into 2x TE 1x10 cabs via a small board (tuner, comp, MS60b with chorus and flange patches and an Eden Glowplug). Main bass was a Fender Player Precision, in the second (non-Eagles) half I used my Sire MM V5. Edit: I was really pleased with the sound from the amp and cabs. Plenty of tight bass, cut through the onstage mix and headroom to spare.

DSCG9534-1.thumb.jpg.e0b8b679223ce800520da8d2f752d4f7.jpg

Second gig was third man in a duo(!). Dep gig with a range of musical genres and largely unpredictable as the singer/guitarist makes it up as he goes along! So out came the Spirit headless for an airing, along with the same amp and cab combination as above. This time the pedal board was loaded - tuner, comp, chorus, EHX Soul Food, Behinger Tube simulator, Octaver, a couple of filters which I was trying out (went with the Sonicake Crybot) and Eden Glowplug. I was happy with my sound and the headless is so light compared to the others I hardly felt it. And the tuning is so stable - although I checked the tuning several times during the evening, I didn't actually have to tune it at all. 

DSCG9539-1.thumb.jpg.62e6694a533d5d414cc924ddc368c5fb.jpg

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...