Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig of choice for the weekend ** Basschat edition**

bassace97

16 hours ago, dangoose said:

Same as it ever is... at the last gig and the next gig. A long chassis ABM, a P-Bass and a big high power folded horn cab for venue shaking bass 😁 

426604249_Screenshot2022-10-12at00_25_10.thumb.png.a2c2785041c2c1a7cf1d7bdba2c08da5.png

If you ever get tired of that MM cab, I’ll be happy to take it off your hands!

7 hours ago, Merton said:

Crappy pic but the first proper (as in loud, no PA support!) outing for my TE-1200. It delivered, and then some. Cracking amp, hopefully it wasn’t a one-off haha

662FABA3-29A9-4CAF-B2F3-84185FEF5D11.thumb.jpeg.e23b710a505a0ac0164eea05f843e57f.jpeg

Very nice! Really want to try one of these.  How do you find it ?

3 hours ago, tony_m said:

Friday evening's gig, decided to give the MAG300 a run out, and also used the Jazz instead of the '51 P. Delighted on both counts, will definitely be using the same setup again this coming Friday. 

anderby vh office.jpg

How do you find the Optocomp ? What preamp is that ?

18 hours ago, bassace97 said:

How do you find the Optocomp ? What preamp is that ?

Well... I picked up the OptoComp on here to try out as a replacement for the Trace SMX Dual Band compressor I had been using, and to be perfectly honest, I'd be hard-pressed to say exactly what it's doing! The LED which is supposed to get brighter as gain reduction increases never actually seems to light up under normal use (I've got it set to what the manual describes as "Easy Compression", so about 2:1 compression and a quick release time), though I can get it to illuminate if I wind the compression rate up and play really hard (which I normally don't) so it does appear to be working, just not so's you can tell! All that said, there's a pleasantly smooth warmth (or maybe a warm smoothness) which disappears if I turn it off, so I'm happy to just let it do whatever it is it's doing.

As for the preamp, it's not actually a preamp, it's an old Ashdown 12-band Graphic EQ / DI pedal. I dial in a small amount of the adjustable mid-scoop pre-shape (about 1/3) which seems to fatten up the single coils nicely, but rarely switch the EQ in unless the room dictates a bit more tweakage, and leave the EQ on the amp switched out.

All the gear and no idea? Yeah, probably, but I (and the band) like the sound I get, so... 🤷‍♂️ 😂

• Like 1

On 27/10/2022 at 08:13, asingardenof said:

As I haven't sold my SWR yet (it's for sale here if anyone's interested) it looks like I have a 6x10 rig for the time being.

PXL_20221027_094832501.jpg

Just as a thought, what are the impedances of the two cabinets? For equal power sharing the two 10 has to be twice the impedance of the four 10.

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

I actually don't ever plan to use them together so it's a moot point, but given the 2x10 is 250W and the 4x10 is 350W would the SWR really be holding the Ashdown back that much?

It depends on the efficiency of the cabs. In theory it would even be possible for the 410 to hold back the 210, just stupidly unlikely.

If the cabs were brothers from the same mother and father and the 210 was half of the 410 with 16 ohm drivers instead of 8 ohm it would be easier to predict. Then there is the complication of how much the amp can give.

If the amp were capable of fully driving either and/or both cabs at the same time it works out that the 210 holds back the 410 to half its power and the combined stack results in 1.5dB more output than the 410 can do by itself.

Given the 210 is supposedly 250w and the 410 only 350w one could assume the 210 is relatively less efficient than the 410, so a bigger handbrake on the stack, further reducing the expected increase from stacking.

Putting speakers up close to your ears though will make it appear much much louder when standing close.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

It depends on the efficiency of the cabs. In theory it would even be possible for the 410 to hold back the 210, just stupidly unlikely.

If the cabs were brothers from the same mother and father and the 210 was half of the 410 with 16 ohm drivers instead of 8 ohm it would be easier to predict. Then there is the complication of how much the amp can give.

If the amp were capable of fully driving either and/or both cabs at the same time it works out that the 210 holds back the 410 to half its power and the combined stack results in 1.5dB more output than the 410 can do by itself.

Given the 210 is supposedly 250w and the 410 only 350w one could assume the 210 is relatively less efficient than the 410, so a bigger handbrake on the stack, further reducing the expected increase from stacking.

Putting speakers up close to your ears though will make it appear much much louder when standing close.

As I say I never actually intend to use them both together, and if there's likely to be no effective increase in noise from using them together then at least it'll save me some fuel not lugging an extra 60lb about for no benefit.

Edited by asingardenof

15 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Why can you make this assumption?

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

Why can you make this assumption?

Higher power handling gives up sensitivity. Advances in materials have only gone so far and the tougher you make the moving parts the less easily they respond.

Since ratings are unreliable and the only commonality is diameter it's only an assumption, but 350/4 is a fair bit less than 250/2.