Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig of choice for the weekend ** Basschat edition**

bassace97

I did something I've never done before - grab the wrong case as I was leaving home! Fortunately it contained

my bitsa Jazz bass so not a million miles away from my usual P-Lyte , and not much heavier thank god. Used 

it for two gigs this weekend, and our sound guy said the difference through the PA was barely noticeable.

Jazz bitsa , GK rig 2022.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

I guess it depends on the gig, genre but this would cover most…prefer 15”s for a bit of reggae though. Despite trying differing brands over the years I always come back to the simple Markbass Traveller 2x10”.

7D1C7C91-A279-4D48-8983-B255BB164B6B.thumb.jpeg.fe746a3359951406d5c14bc51eb4fd78.jpeg

Ditto! In my opinion…these cabs deliver! I never worry about them.

106D640C-535E-481B-AB05-A6C2EC1081CD.jpeg

Edited by stereoplayer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

If you stack the Mark Bass cabs on top of each other you'll have better dispersion out in the room. :D

I play the rig like Rick-O-Sound.  my bass is wired stereo. The bass pickup cabinet is on the floor.  I usually sit on it.

thanks for your help…🤔

Edit:…plus nobody ever said they couldn’t hear me…

Edited by stereoplayer
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, stereoplayer said:

I play the rig like Rick-O-Sound.  my bass is wired stereo. The bass pickup cabinet is on the floor.  I usually sit on it.

thanks for your help…🤔

Edit:…plus nobody ever said they couldn’t hear me…

Cool, so do you run the neck pickup through one of those MB200s, and the bridge pickup through the other?

Are you processing them differently or running effects on the bridge?

Always intrigued by stereo rigs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

Cool, so do you run the neck pickup through one of those MB200s, and the bridge pickup through the other?

Are you processing them differently or running effects on the bridge?

Always intrigued by stereo rigs.

3 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

Me too. I'd be interested in more details.

Ok…

The bass is wired stereo.  Each PU is tapped for half volume/full volume.   The pickups were made for me by Tom Brantley Rewinds. Each PU has a 3 way switch.  Full on/off/half on. I make my own stereo cable.  The bass build thread here…

My current rig is…

2 each GK MB-200’s in a rack.  2 each 102 MarkBass cabs.  One is a 4 Ohm(neck PU) for 200 Watts and one 8 Ohm(bridge PU) for approximately 150 Watts.

I’ve had many other rigs…this is my mini-rig. 

I don’t usually separate the cabs….I’m not looking for a “stereo” effect.  When I stack them, the neck PU cab is on the bottom.  I just want control over each PU.  Lately I’ve been sitting on the bass cab…🫤

Currently I only use effects on the bridge PU.

Roland GP-8 and a Roland FC-100(foot controller).

Sometimes I don’t take the effects to a gig depending on my laziness, stage size…and pay….😜

I have been playing this way a very long time.

Thanks  for your interest!

Another look at the rig and bass.  FC-100 footswitch not in the picture.

997C30A5-DBD4-4EA3-B842-8185E1BA8F74.jpeg

Edited by stereoplayer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, msb said:

Fascinating set up! I’ve got an old 4001 and always been stereo curious , have the amps I just need a stereo cable and splitter. Somehow never gotten around to it.

Do it…never go back!   It’s hard to control at first.  The bridge doesn’t need as much volume that you’d think.  
Think of it like two separate basses at the same time!

• Like 1

I think stereo would work best with fresh rounds , to get as much distinction from the two sources as possible , my old Ric has a set of ancient lot TI flats that make it thump , I think I’ll be looking at a string change too. 
Be interesting to hear that one with some clank , they’re kinda famous for that sound. 
I’m mostly a shortscale guy now , but that 4001 feels like home every time I pick it up. Beautiful thing! 

• Like 1

I had a 4001 back in the day (early 80s) and was captivated by the 'Rick-O-Sound' output, so I got a splitter jack adaptor and ran into two amps/cabs. Was all very exciting, but, like so much up in the cork-sniffing end of the tone spectrum, once the drummer started hitting things, it was pretty much a bass sound, unfortunately...

On 25/09/2022 at 18:14, stereoplayer said:

This rig absolutely sounded great the last 2 nights.

CFC4958B-AC07-448C-B833-CCFF33E3E4BE.jpeg

05941CD0-B9DF-4DF3-9DBC-4BF575821655.jpeg

OOOH! that is some serious bass overhang. My OCD is flaring up. Saying that, a dual 2x10 Markbass cab setup is something I've secretly fancied. Bassamp v2.0 sort of vibe. How do the dual stacked 2x10's sound? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dangoose said:

OOOH! that is some serious bass overhang. My OCD is flaring up. Saying that, a dual 2x10 Markbass cab setup is something I've secretly fancied. Bassamp v2.0 sort of vibe. How do the dual stacked 2x10's sound? 

I don’t like the overhang either.  The MarkBass cabs are great in my book.  But…they are connected to 2 separate heads for a stereo rig.  I set them up lots of ways…sometimes I even sit on one of the cabs…

A813CF2C-96CD-4585-8CAA-C555B6C90915.jpeg

Thanks for the info on your setup @stereoplayer. I've been a Chris Squire fan since I started playing in bands and loved his sound. Over the years I learnt about his split output from the Ric. I don't have a Ric, nor do I have the funds to get one, but I have been experimenting with splitting the signal from my MM and using a graphic equaliser to remove everything below 250hz on one signal and processing that with distortion while leaving the other signal clean and uneffected. So far not so good but I'm enjoying the journey. It doesn't help that there is no call for that kind of sound in the two bands I'm currently playing with and I wouldn't try and force it on them. One day...😃

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dangoose said:

Same as it ever is... at the last gig and the next gig. A long chassis ABM, a P-Bass and a big high power folded horn cab for venue shaking bass 😁 

426604249_Screenshot2022-10-12at00_25_10.thumb.png.a2c2785041c2c1a7cf1d7bdba2c08da5.png

Nice set up! I recently tried out an ABM 600 Evo IV, and was very impressed.  Wish I'd tried one sooner!

On 22/09/2022 at 13:29, msb said:

Quiet weekend , aside from a hurricane hitting the coast Saturday, so if things are open Sunday I have the gig in the local blues dive. I’ll bring the Forte and a 112. Small light , sounds great.

Bought a toy recently , a Darkglass Exponent, it’s replaced the GK MB200 on the Phil Jones cab for the time being. I’m maybe knee deep into the software , I’m really enjoying the discovery. There’s a steep learning curve on this.

E8FDC6A8-7F27-4474-9EFA-BFEFA88CAEA4.jpeg

How are you finding the e500? That ones meant to be more of a blank canvas compared to their other stuff isn't it?

• Like 1

On 23/09/2022 at 23:13, msb said:

One of my interests coming into this forum was to check out cabs and amps that seem pretty common in Europe and the UK but that are fairly rare over here. 
Barefaced cabs are one of those companies. I hear great things about them but you rarely see them over here. Ashdown was rare around here but have recently been making an appearance in L&M. Eich and Vanderkley are two more we never see. Heck, we don’t even have anybody around here carrying Darkglass.

edit we used to see tons of Ampeg and Sunn , then GK was everywhere. Then came a Eden , Trace , SWR period and then Markbass was everywhere, today it seems to be Mesa. 

WIsh we got more Mesa over here in the UK! Recently got a TT800, which is brilliant and would like to try a Subway 210 + 115 to go with it, and swap out my SL112s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

Thanks for the info on your setup @stereoplayer. I've been a Chris Squire fan since I started playing in bands and loved his sound. Over the years I learnt about his split output from the Ric. I don't have a Ric, nor do I have the funds to get one, but I have been experimenting with splitting the signal from my MM and using a graphic equaliser to remove everything below 250hz on one signal and processing that with distortion while leaving the other signal clean and uneffected. So far not so good but I'm enjoying the journey. It doesn't help that there is no call for that kind of sound in the two bands I'm currently playing with and I wouldn't try and force it on them. One day...😃

The band I play in don’t have a choice😎.  Im going to play how I want and that’s it. Like it or leave it.  Im not getting any younger…66. 
I wire all my two PU basses stereo.

Thanks for the interest!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassace97 said:

WIsh we got more Mesa over here in the UK! Recently got a TT800, which is brilliant and would like to try a Subway 210 + 115 to go with it, and swap out my SL112s.

The Mesa gear they’re making right now is absolutely wonderful. Truth is they’ve all made incredible advances in cab and amp design in the last fifteen years , but the Mesa gear is really great. I went Bergantino , but love Mesa too.