Why become a member? ×

Basschatters' Upcoming Gigs

Stub Mandrel

15 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

I wish there was more Goth over this way.  We're right out in the sticks and the best way to get gigs is to play at Young Farmers Club dances, where they will riot if you don't play Hi Ho Silver Lining, Summer of '69 and Don't Look Back In Anger.

Sounds as if it'd be just like in the old days, where you turn up in make up etc, and the local "geezers" look aghast with all the... "Woah.. what the Fk are you then?" type malarkey 😁

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Sounds as if it'd be just like in the old days, where you turn up in make up etc, and the local "geezers" look aghast with all the... "Woah.. what the Fk are you then?" type malarkey 😁

Been there a million times!  My brother and I still shout "....'Ave you seen them f***ing TROUUUUU.......ZZZZEERRRS!" at each other, twenty five years after it was shouted at me by a disbelieving Chief upon spotting my PVC jeans.  You and I could probably compare war stories in this vein for days on end.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

? tried googling that but nothing came up.  Enlightenment required sir.

There was (well, still may well be) a High Wycombe R'n'B band called The Mafia that went through many iterations throughout the years but was led by a chap called John MacKay, who played a Wal - made in town, of course - and the classic line-up featured Chris Dennis and Mark "The Thunder From Windsor" Freeman.  All three were superb musicians and their sets were always brilliant.  Often they'd be joined by local faces onstage, one of whom was known as American John, an African-American gob-iron player of serious mettle.

One time the band, plus American John, were playing at the Flint and there was some kind of ruckus between two groups (something is telling me local yoofs and bikers, but I could be wrong) as the band were breaking down and packing their gear back into their vehicles.  Much glass was broken, and it escalated to the point where the cops were called, and Thames Valley's finest arrived just as American John was making his way out with some gear, doing his best to avoid the flying glasses, traffic cones and fists.  They screamed up in a van, leapt out, grabbed John and buggered off, leaving the scrap to continue. 

As they threw him in the van he was heard to ask "Is this some kind of Black thing?" as the poor bloke was the only non-white face present.  He'd not been involved in the fighting at all, but was the only arrest made.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jackroadkill said:

There was (well, still may well be) a High Wycombe R'n'B band called The Mafia that went through many iterations throughout the years but was led by a chap called John MacKay, who played a Wal - made in town, of course - and the classic line-up featured Chris Dennis and Mark "The Thunder From Windsor" Freeman.  All three were superb musicians and their sets were always brilliant.  Often they'd be joined by local faces onstage, one of whom was known as American John, an African-American gob-iron player of serious mettle.

One time the band, plus American John, were playing at the Flint and there was some kind of ruckus between two groups (something is telling me local yoofs and bikers, but I could be wrong) as the band were breaking down and packing their gear back into their vehicles.  Much glass was broken, and it escalated to the point where the cops were called, and Thames Valley's finest arrived just as American John was making his way out with some gear, doing his best to avoid the flying glasses, traffic cones and fists.  They screamed up in a van, leapt out, grabbed John and buggered off, leaving the scrap to continue. 

As they threw him in the van he was heard to ask "Is this some kind of Black thing?" as the poor bloke was the only non-white face present.  He'd not been involved in the fighting at all, but was the only arrest made.

That's quite a story, reminds me of Constable Savage from Not the 9 O'Clock News fame.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

We're right out in the sticks and the best way to get gigs is to play at Young Farmers Club dances, 

We're nearly as out in the sticks as you, and our solution is to drive to BrightLightsBigCity... Round here a dream night out is Lady DJ playing hits of the 60s70s80s90s at the Horse and Jockey, with a medley of Wurzels and Quo songs, a punch up between farmers from Knucklas and Rhos y Meirch followed by a lovely big vomit outside Costcutter. 

• Haha 2

My dep next Saturday.

"This Saturday at Uplands #1 venue The Terrace at Whitez we present a newbie the brilliant 'Up To Eleven'...they will be belting out a huge 3 setter "

380482356_827031456089337_6960521225170220843_n.thumb.jpg.cfd4b55566fb05c72b6e2b8cba483a00.jpg

Edit: Just noticed that's my elbow on the right!

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My dep next Saturday.

"This Saturday at Uplands #1 venue The Terrace at Whitez we present a newbie the brilliant 'Up To Eleven'...they will be belting out a huge 3 setter "

380482356_827031456089337_6960521225170220843_n.thumb.jpg.cfd4b55566fb05c72b6e2b8cba483a00.jpg

Edit: Just noticed that's my elbow on the right!

Is that Uplands in Swansea? I'll try and be there.

• Like 1

My blues rock trio Toredown have been invited to close the evening for Ipswich Weekender Festival, waterfront on Saturday 23rd 8-9pm.  Marvellous!  Should be a good event, music all day on a big stage, food, other stuff.  Superb location on the heart of the historic docks :) 

No flash poster to post, though :( 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Paul S said:

My blues rock trio Toredown have been invited to close the evening for Ipswich Weekender Festival, waterfront on Saturday 23rd 8-9pm.  Marvellous!  Should be a good event, music all day on a big stage, food, other stuff.  Superb location on the heart of the historic docks :) 

No flash poster to post, though :( 

There you go mate 

image.thumb.png.fbcd396a13e72ef258c1b97bda186ce1.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Next for Hurtsfall is HRH Goth at the O2 Academy in Sheffield:

361834912-783654417094137-25241586133755

Were playing on Friday 29th September on the main stage at 9.15

Full line up for the weekend is:

Friday: 

Fleisch 22:30
Hurtsfall 21:15

Elkapath 20:10

Play/Dead 19:05

Saturday:

Auger 22:40

Ashbury Heights 21:10

Vlad In Tears 19:50

The Arch 18:30

The Membranes 17:10

Alien Vampires 16:00

Gothzilla 14:50

Novus 13:45

Imogen Evans 13:00

The HRH Punk festival is on at the same time and I believe that some tickets will get you access to both events.

• Like 3

Two gigs for me this coming weekend and with two different bands.

Saturday 23rd September sees me at Billy Bootleggers in the Ouseburn Delta (Byker) just a short walk east of Newcastle city centre with Ten Bob Blind, a female fronted americana band where I get to slip slide away on fretless P bass and NS EUB. Kick off 17:00hrs, with music from the likes of Buddy & Julie Miller, Shawn Colvin, Lucinda Williams, Thea Gilmore, Steve Earl, Tom Petty and more. If you are coming along why not get yourselves along early and enjoy Bad Bob Bates solo set from 14:00.

Sunday 24th September sees me at the legendary Hartlepool Steelies club with Southern Incorporated, our southern rock band. Kick off for this one is 17:30. Lots of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackberry Smoke, Whiskey Myers, and more…..😎

• Like 6

If anyone is around Rossendale tomorrow (Friday) night, my band Dead Tenant is supporting what seems to be a rather fabulous French band called the Wow Signal at the Whip & Kitten in Rawtenstall.

https://thewowsignalband.bandcamp.com/album/the-wow-signal

https://deadtenantmusic.bandcamp.com

https://deadtenantmusic.com

And all for free, no less.

• Like 1