Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass advice

Beedster

I've always considered myself a Precision kinda guy, and recent forays into Jazzes, a Mustang and a Tele, and beyond Fender to MM, Status, Ibanez, Modulus, and Wal, have only reinforced this. However, the fact that I've owned 15 Fender Precisions over the years suggests that I've yet to find one I'm really happy with, so I'm thinking my reliance on Fender as a source might be the problem. I'm now looking around at other manufacturers, especially as I am about to sell/trade my Wal and thereby free up some cash.

I'm looking for the classic P sound, nothing more. I play mostly blues and Motown-style, and am looking for a well built, easy to play and reliable Precision, ideally with a Jazz profile neck (my views on neck widths have changed somewhat over the years from the days of my '57). Of all the basses I've looked at, the one I find most attractive is the Lakland USA Duck Dunn (on ebay in the USA), with a Celinder here on BC close second. However, I've been here too many times before, that is, I've not done sufficient homework on an incoming instrument and it's been found wanting. I'd like to make a break with the past and make this purchase definitive and long-term. I'm playing fretless Precision when I can, but I need this fretted bass to record and for any gigs where I'm not sufficiently confident in either my mastery of the set or the monitoring to play fretless. I'd also like it to be something I can sell for what I paid if I get skint in the future!

On my wishlist are

Fender Custom Shop (I've only played the 40th anni model which is not really a Precision to my mind)
Lakland USA
Celinder
Sadowsky
Lakland Skyline

Any opinions would be warmly recieved, as would any alternative suggestions. Of particular interest is the passive/active issue as it relates to Precisions.

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='460310' date='Apr 12 2009, 01:09 AM']I've always considered myself a Precision kinda guy, and recent forays into Jazzes, a Mustang and a Tele, and beyond Fender to MM, Status, Ibanez, Modulus, and Wal, have only reinforced this. However, the fact that I've owned 15 Fender Precisions over the years suggests that I've yet to find one I'm really happy with, so I'm thinking my reliance on Fender as a source might be the problem. I'm now looking around at other manufacturers, especially as I am about to sell/trade my Wal and thereby free up some cash.

I'm looking for the classic P sound, nothing more. I play mostly blues and Motown-style, and am looking for a well built, easy to play and reliable Precision, ideally with a Jazz profile neck (my views on neck widths have changed somewhat over the years from the days of my '57). Of all the basses I've looked at, the one I find most attractive is the Lakland USA Duck Dunn (on ebay in the USA), with a Celinder here on BC close second. However, I've been here too many times before, that is, I've not done sufficient homework on an incoming instrument and it's been found wanting. I'd like to make a break with the past and make this purchase definitive and long-term. I'm playing fretless Precision when I can, but I need this fretted bass to record and for any gigs where I'm not sufficiently confident in either my mastery of the set or the monitoring to play fretless. I'd also like it to be something I can sell for what I paid if I get skint in the future!

On my wishlist are

Fender Custom Shop (I've only played the 40th anni model which is not really a Precision to my mind)
Lakland USA
Celinder
Sadowsky
Lakland Skyline

Any opinions would be warmly recieved, as would any alternative suggestions. Of particular interest is the passive/active issue as it relates to Precisions.

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

Based on your criteria, the one that you are going to lose least money on is the Fender Custom shop. If I was buying for the instrument and not caring about residual value, Lakland USA would be it.

Hi Chris, hope you're well. After reading your post, a slightly philosophical question crossed my mind re: about your (and players generally) expectations of basses. You mention that you've owned 15 P-basses (Kylie, Danni... :rolleyes:) and various top-notch others which seems to be a large enough sample to judge upon. If you haven't found "the one" after all these instruments, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your expectations a little? I suppose it boils down to how your see your bass in relation to your playing: for me, I have a nice Jap Jazz as my mainstay. It plays feels, sounds and looks good and the onus is on me to improve (practice more, improve theory) not the bass. You mention you're looking for the "classic P sound - nothing more" but surely you've had that before? Anyway, just a little Easter food for thought - time for some chocolate...

(GAS Disclaimer: I picked up a lovely 1979 BB1200 on here recently so shouldn't be too hypocritical! :) )

When you say that each instrument has "been found wanting", can you define what each problem has been ?

If you took most of the bass players with a recognisable sound and gave them a bass they'd never played before, they'd still sound mostly like themselves despite the limitations of playing with the "wrong" bass, so maybe you need to learn, in part, to be comfortable with your sound.

Maybe you need to try some other basses, including the cheaper end of the market, to see of there's something there that works for you - I played a Squier VM bass (Tele-style early P bass headstock, big humbucker in the neck) in PMT the other day and it sounded fantastic for a £250 bass. (and I'm GASsing for one now).

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='460406' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:27 AM']Hi Chris, how about a Shuker P?[/quote]

"I'd also like it to be something I can sell for what I paid if I get skint in the future!"?

Do customs hold their value?

Hi Chris,

Give Darren a shout at The Bass Merchant on Colchester. He'll discuss with Henrik at Sandberg and give you a price on a custom Cali.
Sandbergs are built like tanks and have tone to die for. Both my Cali's also have a jazz profile neck. Active is switchable too!

Jamie.

Chris,

Assuming you like the look of it, I recommend you seek out a Pino Precision. It's by far the best bass I've ever owned. My Pino story is a little long but...

In December 2007 I had to spend a week in Atlanta and managed to visit my brother in New York for a few days on the way there. I ordered a Rickenbacker my mail order for delivery to the Atlanta office so there was no way I was going to buy a bass in NY. Visited Guitar Center and saw the Pino. Still no way I was going to buy it - I think relics are stupid. I played it for an hour and bought - although I already had a '62 precision. It's been my main bass ever since, with Wals, Rickenbackers, Jazzes etc. getting little play.

Seve

[quote name='Paul_C' post='460407' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:33 AM']Maybe you need to try some other basses, including the cheaper end of the market, to see of there's something there that works for you[/quote]
Good advice there Paul_C. I've passed on MIA and MIJ Fenders and recently a lovely Musicman because I simply now get more of a kick playing "cheaper" basses at my gigs.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='460412' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:36 AM']"I'd also like it to be something I can sell for what I paid if I get skint in the future!"?

Do customs hold their value?[/quote]

I would of thought a shuker would hold its value pretty well, especially if you went for the JJBurnell model or such. A shuker without the wait IMO would be worth a little extra rather than less tbh.

I'd stick with the Fenders personally, i can't quite see whats to be gained by spending the amount a sadowsky(or other) costs, for what is essentially a copy, and the Fenders keep their value.
Besides with the ones you have i cant think why you'd want to change them, i still regret selling my '79. lol

Edited by Foxx

Sounds so familiar to me, Chris. Would have to sit down with pen and paper to work out how many Fender basses have passed through my hands over the years. My outlook changed when I tried a G&L - an original L1000, so passive. Something inside told me to expect the same character as the MM Sabre, set for the neck pickup, but couldn't have been more wrong in that assumption. G&L pickups might look like MM pickups, but they're a totally different beast. If you haven't already given one a try, I'd recommend tracking one down. The other Precision I'd also recommend looking out for, an early 80s Schecter. I know, Schecter has come to represent something else these days, but the example I picked up in '84 was the catalyst for me selling a Precision Special, an '83 Elite II, and an '83 Standard. The Schecter was doing its very best to come across as a '57, but for built quality and tonality, also being passive, it left the Fenders in the dirt.

And totally agree you on the 40th anniversary model.

Edited by noelk27

Many thanks guys, some good advice. A few thoughts in response below:

[quote name='Weird War' post='460365' date='Apr 12 2009, 09:35 AM']Hi Chris, hope you're well. After reading your post, a slightly philosophical question crossed my mind re: about your (and players generally) expectations of basses. You mention that you've owned 15 P-basses (Kylie, Danni... :lol:) and various top-notch others which seems to be a large enough sample to judge upon. If you haven't found "the one" after all these instruments, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your expectations a little? I suppose it boils down to how your see your bass in relation to your playing: for me, I have a nice Jap Jazz as my mainstay. It plays feels, sounds and looks good and the onus is on me to improve (practice more, improve theory) not the bass. You mention you're looking for the "classic P sound - nothing more" but surely you've had that before? Anyway, just a little Easter food for thought - time for some chocolate...[/quote]

This is certainly something I've been thinking a lot recently, that is, that I should stick with one bass and make that one bass sound good. It's an intuitively appealling idea until I read an interview with this or that famous bass player, or get into a conversation with someone on BC or at a gig, and the recurring theme of 'the one' rears its ugly head. Although 15 Precisions seems, and is, excessive, I can tell you the problem with each and every one of them, my '92 MIJ was lacking in bottom end, my CS40th was too plastic sounding, the '79 MIA had the best A and D string tone yet but the E and G were lacking, the '73 had zero sustain (great for Motown, sh*t for blues). Trust me, I could go on through all 15! I can't help thinking there is a bsss out there on which none of these would be an issue....

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='460382' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:00 AM']+1

There aint no mythical Precision at the low-end of the rainbow! :lol:[/quote]

I disagree, or at least, i choose to believe there is :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='460406' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:27 AM']Hi Chris, how about a Shuker P?[/quote]

I've had alook recently, specifically the Burnel. Might be an option.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='460407' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:33 AM']When you say that each instrument has "been found wanting", can you define what each problem has been ?

If you took most of the bass players with a recognisable sound and gave them a bass they'd never played before, they'd still sound mostly like themselves despite the limitations of playing with the "wrong" bass, so maybe you need to learn, in part, to be comfortable with your sound.

Maybe you need to try some other basses, including the cheaper end of the market, to see of there's something there that works for you - I played a Squier VM bass (Tele-style early P bass headstock, big humbucker in the neck) in PMT the other day and it sounded fantastic for a £250 bass. (and I'm GASsing for one now).[/quote]

Fair point Paul. I do think I'm a bass snob and like to play something that impresses other players (perhaps because my playing rarely does)! However, I've played a lot of lower cost basses and never been all that impressed. Having said that, I've yet to play the new Squier series, perhaps I should? I saw a guy playing a Squier VMJ at a gig a while back and his sound was awesome, which got me thinking. However, when I got closer I realised that his bank of FX was equally impressive, and probbaly put the total cost of bass + FX well above the cost of a MIA! You're right though, I should play more basses.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='460415' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:40 AM']I think that's a very valid point. A lot in life is I find about reality vs expectations :rolleyes:[/quote]

Agreed Peter

[quote name='jonthebass' post='460418' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:41 AM']I was looking at high end P basses a while ago and one that was repeatedly recommended to me was the Fender CS Pino model.
Apparently they are something special, but I've never tried one.

JTB[/quote]

See below :D

[quote name='Sercet' post='460422' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:43 AM']Chris,

Assuming you like the look of it, I recommend you seek out a Pino Precision. It's by far the best bass I've ever owned. My Pino story is a little long but...

In December 2007 I had to spend a week in Atlanta and managed to visit my brother in New York for a few days on the way there. I ordered a Rickenbacker my mail order for delivery to the Atlanta office so there was no way I was going to buy a bass in NY. Visited Guitar Center and saw the Pino. Still no way I was going to buy it - I think relics are stupid. I played it for an hour and bought - although I already had a '62 precision. It's been my main bass ever since, with Wals, Rickenbackers, Jazzes etc. getting little play.

Seve[/quote]

Now Steve, you know my views here. Had you sold me the Pino and not thew Wal, we wouldn't be having this conversation!

[quote name='noelk27' post='460536' date='Apr 12 2009, 01:13 PM']Sounds so familiar to me, Chris. Would have to sit down with pen and paper to work out how many Fender basses have passed through my hands over the years. My outlook changed when I tried a G&L - an original L1000, so passive. Something inside told me to expect the same character as the MM Sabre, set for the neck pickup, but couldn't have been more wrong in that assumption. G&L pickups might look like MM pickups, but they're a totally different beast. If you haven't already given one a try, I'd recommend tracking one down. The other Precision I'd also recommend looking out for, an early 80s Schecter. I know, Schecter has come to represent something else these days, but the example I picked up in '84 was the catalyst for me selling a Precision Special, an '83 Elite II, and an '83 Standard. The Schecter was doing its very best to come across as a '57, but for built quality and tonality, also being passive, it left the Fenders in the dirt.

And totally agree you on the 40th anniversary model.[/quote]

I must admit I've only played one G&L and wasn't all that inspired. I might take a closer look.

Anyway, I've been offered a lot of basses for the Wal. I've PM'd a lot of people for their input and, interestingly, several have suggested the same bass. And it's not a Fender. I'll keep you posted ;)

ah its a shame your one experience with a G&L wasnt so favourable. fwiw the SB-2 is a great workhorse,the P sound on my usa SB-2 is miles better than my Fender 08 MIA,at least to my ears anyway.

Mine is the best passive bass I ever owned and I kept it over my G&L Asat & L2K basses which also sounded great with the actives bypassed.

Hi Chris,
my thoughts on this dilemma have led me to my current 'happy with one bass' place - in a word Sadowsky.
I don't really want to keep swapping instruments either and the one that does it for me at the moment is my Sadowsky Metro RV4.
Whilst this is a J Bass I am sure that the quality of the build and attention to detail that seems to go with the Sadowsky territory will apply just as much to their P Basses.
Good luck with the quest Chris.

Neil

ps - obviously something else will come along at some stage and the above will be out the window! I think the trick is not to worry about it too much and if another bass comes along and becomes your no1 just go with it. :)

Okay - my bass is a bit of an extreme example but I could never get a good, convincing P bass sound out of a regular split P pickup bass and went down the single coil route and absolutely love it.

Why not try one of the reissues and if you like it, you could go for the earlier late 60s telecaster bass with the single coil pickup.