Why become a member? ×

Gibson

Beedster

Saw a gig last night and the bassist had a great sound from a Thunderbird, really in your face with lots of top end but solid punch and bottom end also. Saw a guy two weeks ago playing an EBO in a punk/Jam style band and it sounded great also, really tight. I'm a Fender man, but am I missing something.....

I got turned on to Gibsons around '74 listening to Patrick Djivas playing a Ripper with PFM - glorious clanging row (I just checked - put PFM Celebration into youtube and you'll get a version from OGWT) - stunning! I bought a Ripper in '79 - first proper bass. I still have it but it's heavily modded (and still beautiful!) Patrick Djivas is still with PFM and now plays (among other things) a 32" scale built by Prometeus here on BC. I really need to order one. Check out Gibbos - much underrated and well cool.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='459656' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:17 PM']The problem is a good Gibson will cost you twice as much as an equally good Fender. Also depends a lot if you like Mahogany, apart from the Ripper period.[/quote]

Eh? With MIA Fenders being around £900 with the current price rises, Gibbo's arn't much more in all honesty.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='459656' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:17 PM']The problem is a good Gibson will cost you twice as much as an equally good Fender. Also depends a lot if you like Mahogany, apart from the Ripper period.[/quote]
If vintage instruments are your thing then a 60s/70s Gibson bass will cost you alot less than the equivalent Fender - and another world away from the 'pre CBS' models.

I've only recently discovered Gibson style basses, I used to thing they were just inferior instruments for people with small hands until I tried one. You definietly get extra 'cool' points playing a Gibson too.

My Les Paul bass has Thunderbird Plus pickups in it and my take on it is this:
It's well made and lovely to play but doesn't sound too good at quiet volumes for some reason?!
Turn the wick up on a big amp though and there it is, that big classic Gibson sound that you talk about!

As for pricing, my one was £1,300 brand new.

Hope that helps,
Jon.

One of the most in your face, agressive basses I ever owned was a Gothic Epiphone Thunderbird. Absolutely loved the thing and would probably have went on to buy a Gibson one if it hadn't been for the awful neck dive.

I absolutely love the sound of a mahogany body, the reason my gold bass has one.

Im seriously gassing for an Gibson Thunderbird. In the 70's I had an EB3l and a Les Paul recording, both are fine instruments. Ive had my share of Fenders that have proven to be very capable reliable instruments but somehow (to me) they lack character.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='460659' date='Apr 12 2009, 05:15 PM']Electro have a brand new Thunderbird in stock for £999 & it's stunning to play. Before I'd played this one, I'd only ever played the Epiphones. The Epiphones are great basses for the money, but this Gibson one is something else...[/quote]
£999..So near yet so far away,just forked out for another Marshall superbass! Out of interest what makes this bass feel so special to you in comparison?

One of my early heroes played a T-Bird (Martin Turner) and not so long a go I bought an Epiphone copy. It was good, then I put a low bid on a Gibson IV and won, it to my surprise. Gigged it for a year but realised a few things.

- it has a great sound
- it feels like a 38" scale ...left hand is way out there!
- despite a modest difference in pick up sounds, it really has only one sound
- feel wise, it was great to play with a pick, not so great with the fingers, and completely useless for slap 'n tickle

Playing in a covers band required more flexibility, so I sold it.

I last saw one at a gig when seeing the great ASH (the Northern Ireland guys, not the Wishbone variety) and yeah, Ace sound.

But, I found it a one-trick pony. A good one, but only for delivering one style.

It did look cool though...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='460833' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:15 PM']Not sure, really - It just had the right feel and an excellent scooped-style sound, which I like. Also felt like a real quality item in the hands.[/quote]
I was considering a Fenderbird project (still may happen) but during research I went on 'Vintage and rare guitars' which proved fatal ! Somebody has to talk me out of this !! They say that reciting the alphabet backwards helps.

I think Gibsons often get lumped together - which isn't too helpful - Gibson have pushed hard over the years to win through with a bass, but never get very far - but as a consequence, they have tried a lot of different styles, scales, woods, pickups, constructions... Theres a Gibson bass to suit every player - generally well-built and in a similar price range to MIA Fender and Rickenbacker.

Can't go wrong with an EB3

You can't go wrong with a gibbo. The bottom end on these beasts are like nothing else.

I wouldn't buy a new one tho, although that is just my taste in guitars.

I absolutely love my 78 ebony ripper and the dark sound it produces. I find it's the perfect balance of sound when playing with a full band. The highs are present but not in your face. It's extremely resonant as well, loads of overtones.

Looks like i'm going to pick up a 75 in natural tomorrow for a good price. The action's a big high on it but it's all functional and I think will be fine after a good set up. Could do with a refret as well tho....

Edited by Basszilla

[quote name='Basszilla' post='461196' date='Apr 13 2009, 01:39 PM']You can't go wrong with a gibbo. The bottom end on these beasts are like nothing else.

I wouldn't buy a new one tho, although that is just my taste in guitars.

I absolutely love my 78 ebony ripper and the dark sound it produces. I find it's the perfect balance of sound when playing with a full band. The highs are present but not in your face. It's extremely resonant as well, loads of overtones.

Looks like i'm going to pick up a 75 in natural tomorrow for a good price. The action's a big high on it but it's all functional and I think will be fine after a good set up. Could do with a refret as well tho....[/quote]
Now thats one I never tried is it the one with the sliding pickup? Or am I thinking of the Grabber. I really miss my EB3L but sadly the prices now are out of reach. If I had my way I'd have another and a Thunderbird !