Why become a member? ×

Storing basses in a conservatory

BillyBass

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I went for the fancy glass then was particularly nice to Mrs XFR (she's a lucky lady) for a couple weeks and then bought an Epiphone Thunderbird vintage pro plus a set of DR DDT strings. 

So you could have had an Epiphone AND a Squier. It gets worse!

If I ever had a conservatory, not that I ever would want one, I would find it pointless for music related playing, "production". Sound treatment would be a nightmare. 

I can only see having a gym in a conservatory, but first I'd have to start gyming which is highly unlikely.

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

All my basses live in their cases and only come out to be played. Seems to me permanently keeping 6 basses out on stands is the problem for the wife. I agree with her. You are taking up too much room.

Yes, but where do you keep the cases?  They would take up more room than the 5 basses I keep on a rack.

11 minutes ago, SH73 said:

If I ever had a conservatory, not that I ever would want one, I would find it pointless for music related playing, "production". Sound treatment would be a nightmare. 

I can only see having a gym in a conservatory, but first I'd have to start gyming which is highly unlikely.

The conservatory is great for practising in, at least it is now.  It won't be possible to practise there on hot days.

3 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Yes, but where do you keep the cases?  They would take up more room than the 5 basses I keep on a rack.

The conservatory is great for practising in, at least it is now.  It won't be possible to practise there on hot days.

Depends what music you play, imagine calories you burn

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

Conservatory... best room in the house, always too hot or too cold.

• Haha 1

On 04/03/2022 at 19:27, BillyBass said:

I've just had a conservatory built and shortly the flooring, decorating and electrics will all be done.  It has sound proof (to a degree) glass and I will be using it as my practice space.

I have installed a heater and can keep the temperature constant...ish at the moment but the heater will have a drying effect on the atmosphere inside.  Also, I imagine this will get quite hot in the summer, the glass roof is made of 'solar glass' but it will be directly in line with the setting sun, and the rooms at the back of the house can be really uncomfortable during a heatwave.

I would like to be able to store some basses in there but am a bit concerned about the temeperture and humidity changes could have a detrimental effect on bass necks.

Anyone got any advice/experience to share? 

Mine got insanely hot - even the cat couldn’t stand it 

On 04/03/2022 at 21:11, T-Bay said:

I use my conservatory as a practice space as well. I do not keep any of my basses in there. However, I was given a cheap crappy Strat copy that lives in there 4/7/365.

You’re probably okay leaving it In there for just four hours each day 👍

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I know it's illegal to say this, but I don't like Precision or Jazz basses.

It is - you’re bang to rights you scrote. Last time I checked The Law It’s a fourteen-stretch for a crime like that. And you get to share with Bubba and his knuckle tattoos “Lvoe” and “Hait”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

It is - you’re bang to rights you scrote. Last time I checked The Law It’s a fourteen-stretch for a crime like that. And you get to share with Bubba and his knuckle tattoos “Lvoe” and “Hait”

I think Vulfpeck are terrible and RHCP are boring and I don't enjoy Jaco

I don't know about keeping basses in a conservatory but I know about keeping plants in a conservatory and I think there are parallels.  I'd say it depends upon the aspect - if it is on the north side of the house, out of direct sun and with heating for winter then the temperature swings won't be massive so it might be OK (although humidity might be an issue).  If it gets any direct sun then forget it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I don't know about keeping basses in a conservatory but I know about keeping plants in a conservatory and I think there are parallels.  I'd say it depends upon the aspect - if it is on the north side of the house, out of direct sun and with heating for winter then the temperature swings won't be massive so it might be OK (although humidity might be an issue).  If it gets any direct sun then forget it.

I used to grow chillies in a South facing conservatory. My biggest problem was using all the fruit they produced. I did have to water them twice a day to just keep them alive and chillies don't like much water.

Real world experience of nearly 20 years with my conservatory. It has vents which automatically open according to temperature set on a thermostat. Generally, this means that the temperature doesn't get above about 33C. In winter, it rarely gets colder than 5C. The roof is the opaque triple polycarbonate type with some sort of heat reflective layer in it. I have blinds drawn most of the time as well.

I suspect if basses are in cases and not in direct sunlight and you can regulate the maximum temperature and humidity to sensible levels, it's probably viable, BUT it's big swings in temperature and humidity that could do damage.     

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I used to grow chillies in a South facing conservatory. My biggest problem was using all the fruit they produced. I did have to water them twice a day to just keep them alive and chillies don't like much water.

Well, chillies are Mexican plants, so if you have a Mexican Fender it might be OK. :D 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Well, chillies are Mexican plants, so if you have a Mexican Fender it might be OK. :D 

I grow mainly varieties of habanero which originate from the Amazon. If you bought your bass from Amazon it'll definitely be fine.

22 hours ago, Paul S said:

22 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

Real world experience of nearly 20 years with my conservatory. It has vents which automatically open according to temperature set on a thermostat. Generally, this means that the temperature doesn't get above about 33C. In winter, it rarely gets colder than 5C. The roof is the opaque triple polycarbonate type with some sort of heat reflective layer in it. I have blinds drawn most of the time as well.

I suspect if basses are in cases and not in direct sunlight and you can regulate the maximum temperature and humidity to sensible levels, it's probably viable, BUT it's big swings in temperature and humidity that could do damage.     

It's west south west facing, so pretty much in line with the setting sun.  Even with its posh glass it is going to be unbearable during a heatwave, however, I think it will be ok in winter as I'm sure I'll be able to keep the temperature in there about the same as the rest of the house.

What I'm unsure about is how dry it will get inside.  There are trickle vents on 3 sides of the conservatory but the heat from the heater is likely to have a drying effect on the air inside.

I'll play it by ear (no pun intended) but I doubt any basses will stay there, particularly not in the summer.  I'll probably keep a practice rig in there though.

On 05/03/2022 at 04:41, Downunderwonder said:

Heating an otherwise unused space to keep basses comfy seems like a waste of power to me. Controlled heating won't do anything to the moisture in the air except make it relatively less saturated. So long as you were keeping it at 16° and it didn't overheat naturally it would be fine. Still a waste of power.

Then what do you do when it bakes in the summer?

Aircon! 

8 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Aircon! 

I did look at this option.  For about £750 you can get 'silent' portable aircon units that would cope with the size of conservatory I have.  Mrs BillyBass doesn't like the idea but we'll see in July.

Edited by BillyBass