Why become a member? ×

Bongo to try?

FDC484950

18 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

You’re right - I’ve seen a Sterling in that colour in the flesh and it just wasn’t very nice.
The Bongo seems to have some interesting paint finishes, from black and silver to some sparkle red, orange and yellow. The harvest orange on the current line up looks fantastic, but very few seem to have made it out of the US in the last year or so, and I gather they’re well over £3K now 😐

Y'know, I was really unmoved by the Harvest Orange until I saw one in person, and then I realised what all the fuss was about.  My candy red one is nice, in a subtle kind of way.  I have a Firemist Gold 5 coming this week, and I've not seen it in person... so we'll see!  I tend to like the Bongo in really bold, bright colours.

Yeh, £3k is a bit much now.  I mean, I really do dig the tone and playability of the Bongo... but I could get something custom for that.

20 minutes ago, falling_in2_infinity said:

Y'know, I was really unmoved by the Harvest Orange until I saw one in person, and then I realised what all the fuss was about.  My candy red one is nice, in a subtle kind of way.  I have a Firemist Gold 5 coming this week, and I've not seen it in person... so we'll see!  I tend to like the Bongo in really bold, bright colours.

Yeh, £3k is a bit much now.  I mean, I really do dig the tone and playability of the Bongo... but I could get something custom for that.

The Bongo is a cool bass. I tried one once (Andertons) and playing it sitting down was not a problem. I am still a bit tempted but I agree that £3k is way too much. However, there is a shop in Belgium that still has a 4 H (Blue Pearl) and a 4 HH (Stealth Black) for EUR 2.2K and EUR 2.3K respectively, so approx. £1.8k/£1.9k (these prices are pre-Belgian VAT deduction and UK VAT addition). The Belgian VAT is also slighter higher than here in the UK (21% vs. 20%), so that helps a bit too. Every little helps, right? 😉

Last year, I bought a Fender Pro II P bass (Dark Night) from that shop and the transaction went smoothly. I am not sure if I can put the link here. Anyone interested can just PM me.  

1 hour ago, falling_in2_infinity said:

I have a Firemist Gold 5 coming this week, and I've not seen it in person... so we'll see!  I tend to like the Bongo in really bold, bright colours.

There was a firemist gold on reverb - that one? That is a colour that I really love, but without having time to try it first (or familiarity with any bongos) it was a bit much for me.

13 hours ago, falling_in2_infinity said:

I am totally in agreement that EBMM's current pricing is a bit steep to say the least.But at the same time I would have to say that, in its own way, the Bongo is equal to any high- end custom bass I have ever played. For my own tastes, I find a lot of boutique basses to quite gutless and insipid. The Bongo, in contrast, is hifi but quite brutal in a good way. In a blindfold test I would put it up against anything on the market, no eggageration.

If a bloke with a beard somewhere in Finland had designed the Bongo, built them one at a time on his kitchen table and made people wait three years for them, everyone would want one. In a world of retrogressive bass designs, EBMM deserve tremendous credit for coming up with a truly innovative modern instrument with a unique sound that matches the styling.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

It's funny, with my SR5 and other Stinrays I've had with just one pickup I've been more than happy. With 2 pickups I just can't settle with the sound.  It's completely my mindset, not the bass at all. 

I think that was my issue too, having had a Bongo 5HS, 4HH and SR5 HH. Which sound do I use ?! I think now however i've calmed down a bit, and know what is appropriate when, I would happily have a Bongo 4 again.

On 10/01/2022 at 21:21, Woodinblack said:

There was a firemist gold on reverb - that one? That is a colour that I really love, but without having time to try it first (or familiarity with any bongos) it was a bit much for me.

The very same. 🙂 It is supposedly in near-mint condition and I got a good price. Fingers crossed!

Yep, definitely worth trying one first. The Wunjo model is the same colour, curiously.

FYI, I spoke to one of the guys at Wunjo and they do allow mail order returns, and would also arrange returns through their shipping provider.

...Joe.

Edited by falling_in2_infinity
  • Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 09:10, Misdee said:

I am totally in agreement that EBMM's current pricing is a bit steep to say the least.But at the same time I would have to say that, in its own way, the Bongo is equal to any high- end custom bass I have ever played. For my own tastes, I find a lot of boutique basses to quite gutless and insipid. The Bongo, in contrast, is hifi but quite brutal in a good way. In a blindfold test I would put it up against anything on the market, no eggageration.

If a bloke with a beard somewhere in Finland had designed the Bongo, built them one at a time on his kitchen table and made people wait three years for them, everyone would want one. In a world of retrogressive bass designs, EBMM deserve tremendous credit for coming up with a truly innovative modern instrument with a unique sound that matches the styling.

Can't disagree with this, especially that EBMM deserve a lot of credit for taking a chance on a radical design, and then sticking with it for so long. They could probably have built a 24-fret Stingray(ish), but I'm glad they didn't.

At the end of the day, what's not to like in a bass that is so well balanced, sounds so good and plays like butter? 😁😁😁

• Like 1

A new Bongo 6 in the sparkly Harvest Orange has popped up at Pro Music Tools in Germany. I’ve never bought anything from them and their website is just Euros. However €3,749 ends up (less German VAT plus shipping plus duty and UK VAT and the likely rubbish exchange rate) at about £3,600 delivered 🙄

That’s a bit different to the $2999 listed as the “street price” on the MM Website…

Edited by FDC484950

2 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

That’s a bit different to the $2999 listed as the “street price” on the MM Website…

It is here, but in the US I would imagine it is a street price of $3k. In fact if you go to sweetwater, if you are in a state that sweetwaters distribution centre isn't, you can get the harvest orange 6 string for $2999 delivered to your door.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

It is here, but in the US I would imagine it is a street price of $3k. In fact if you go to sweetwater, if you are in a state that sweetwaters distribution centre isn't, you can get the harvest orange 6 string for $2999 delivered to your door.

If they had any :)

I think my comment was just a thinly-veiled pop at some of the prices out there ;)

Edited by FDC484950

50 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

If they had any :)

I think my comment was just a thinly-veiled pop at some of the prices out there ;)

Sweetwater don't keep much MM stuff in stock - most of it, especially the less mainstream stuff like the Bongo, has to be ordered from Ernie Ball, and the lead times are 4-6 months. 

Also, don't forget, if you order from Sweetwater in the UK, you'll have to pay a bunch for shipping, then get done for 20% VAT, as well as import tax and courier fees on delivery. Might be cheaper just to book a flight to NY, buy one in Sam Ash or Rudy's, and bring it home on the plane with you!