Why become a member? ×

Bongo to try?

FDC484950

Hello everyone,

I’m interested in a potential purchase of a Music Man Bongo. One area that concerns me is the bottom horn, which has a pronounced point. I need to know whether it digs into your leg when playing seated. There seem to be conflicting opinions on this - some think it’s just fine but others find it a problem. I can’t seem to locate any for sale in a shop within 100 miles of me, and rather than guess on a buying a bass that is abroad with no realistic chance of returning, does anyone in London/South/South East have a Bongo (4/5/6, doesn’t matter) I could try, just for 20 minutes? 
Thanks

23 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

Hello everyone,

I’m interested in a potential purchase of a Music Man Bongo. One area that concerns me is the bottom horn, which has a pronounced point. I need to know whether it digs into your leg when playing seated. There seem to be conflicting opinions on this - some think it’s just fine but others find it a problem. I can’t seem to locate any for sale in a shop within 100 miles of me, and rather than guess on a buying a bass that is abroad with no realistic chance of returning, does anyone in London/South/South East have a Bongo (4/5/6, doesn’t matter) I could try, just for 20 minutes? 
Thanks

I find it depends on my sitting position. I do sometimes pop a bit of padding (jumper, or similar) on my leg for longer seated sessions. It’s a very ergonomic bass otherwise.

Wunjo guitars in Denmark street have a new 2018/19 5 string. I bought my last 2 bongos  from them, and they always seem friendly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/01/2022 at 10:54, thodrik said:

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/ernie-ball-music-man-bongo-5

The Bass Gallery have one in stock apparently. I would suggest giving them a call.

I have briefly been tempted looking at that but that is a colour it would be hard for anyone to love. They did have a white one at bassdirect for a very short time.

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I have briefly been tempted looking at that but that is a colour it would be hard for anyone to love. They did have a white one at bassdirect for a very short time.

Would look fine with a lighter pickguard - if it were a 4 I’d have it…would sort of match my sabre a bit…almost…6EB7C15B-B87B-450A-92DE-B17D518F4EC5.thumb.jpeg.af0a853df38ce501853774bc89b4f901.jpeg

• Like 2

I've got a Bongo 4 and I am aware of the bottom horn digging into my leg slightly when I play it sitting down, but it's a minor irritation rather than a deal breaker. I have a very low tolerance for uncomfortable "hair shirt" basses, and the Bongo is definitely not in that category. If you want an unapologetically modern bass with a hifi sound packed full of attitude then the Bongo is just the ticket.

I would think that the heavier the actual Bongo you are playing is , the more you are going to notice the horn digging in your leg when sitting. I remember playing a ridiculously heavy Fender Jazz Bass sitting down and within 20 minutes my right leg didn't work when I tried to stand up!

On 08/01/2022 at 10:22, falling_in2_infinity said:

Wunjo guitars in Denmark street have a new 2018/19 5 string. I bought my last 2 bongos  from them, and they always seem friendly.

Another vote for Wunjo - they've always had at least 1 bongo when I've been in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Misdee said:

I've got a Bongo 4 and I am aware of the bottom horn digging into my leg slightly when I play it sitting down, but it's a minor irritation rather than a deal breaker. I have a very low tolerance for uncomfortable "hair shirt" basses, and the Bongo is definitely not in that category. If you want an unapologetically modern bass with a hifi sound packed full of attitude then the Bongo is just the ticket.

I would think that the heavier the actual Bongo you are playing is , the more you are going to notice the horn digging in your leg when sitting. I remember playing a ridiculously heavy Fender Jazz Bass sitting down and within 20 minutes my right leg didn't work when I tried to stand up!

This is probably true.  I only have an early 2010's 6'er at the moment, but I have a 2019 5'er coming this week.

I did some testing yesterday and only noticed a problem when I put the bass on my right leg, with it crossed over my left.  More normally, I play classical style on my left leg, and it's never an issue there.

I've got three of them (Bongos, that is). :D

No issues with playing seated. The bottom horn doesn't dig in, although I do sometimes wish it was slightly longer as I feel it might balance on the knee slightly better, but certainly no discomfort. The edges are quite rounded and not at all pointy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, falling_in2_infinity said:

agreed!  I am always a bit unsure of paint finishes until I see them in person.  However, that particular colour always looks extremely unappealing in any photo/video I see.

You’re right - I’ve seen a Sterling in that colour in the flesh and it just wasn’t very nice.
The Bongo seems to have some interesting paint finishes, from black and silver to some sparkle red, orange and yellow. The harvest orange on the current line up looks fantastic, but very few seem to have made it out of the US in the last year or so, and I gather they’re well over £3K now 😐

Edited by FDC484950