Why become a member? ×

Bongo to try?

FDC484950

Just now, Russ said:

Also, don't forget, if you order from Sweetwater in the UK, you'll have to pay a bunch for shipping, then get done for 20% VAT, as well as import tax and courier fees on delivery. Might be cheaper just to book a flight to NY, buy one in Sam Ash or Rudy's, and bring it home on the plane with you! 

I was just saying in the states, it would probably be cheaper to get one from thomman where they are under 3k, as if you buy one in NY and bring it home you are still liable for vat and import duties unless you want to illegally smuggle it in.

• Like 1

I think it's worth bearing in mind that due to the time of year, stocks might be a bit lower than usual.  It's possible (though unlikely) that we'll see a flood of MM instruments hitting Europe in the next few months, including new colours.

I'm not ignoring the fact that musical instrument stocks have generally been low for quite a while, for a variety of reasons.

There has been a shortage since mid 2020 (I guess we all know the main contributing factor). I asked at a few UK and European dealers late last year and none could say when their next delivery would be, nor would they taking orders. I’m sure it’ll recover in time.

5 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

A new Bongo 6 in the sparkly Harvest Orange has popped up at Pro Music Tools in Germany. I’ve never bought anything from them and their website is just Euros. However €3,749 ends up (less German VAT plus shipping plus duty and UK VAT and the likely rubbish exchange rate) at about £3,600 delivered 🙄

That’s a bit different to the $2999 listed as the “street price” on the MM Website…

If you are interested in a Bongo 6, then maybe check out EBMM's "The Vault". They have a John Myung sig bass in stock, costs:

Cart Subtotal (1 item):£2317.63 GBP

UPS Expedited:£131.65 GBP

Duties and taxes:£576.69 GBP

Order Total:

£3025.97 GBP

In general, I would bookmark the Vault and check it from time to time. I got my Timmy C sig from them and it worked very well. You pay online and don't have to worry about any additional costs. It says "Guaranteed Total Landed Cost! - No additional VAT or Duties will be applied to your order." Cool stuff. 

8 hours ago, Machines said:

The Bass Gallery also have a Bongo 6HH for £1650. I would have bought it a few months ago but price is a bit steep and I realised it was just GAS.

https://thebassgallery.com/products/ebmm-bongo-6

Man, this looks great. Metallic red with a black PG. My fav colour combination. Just a shame that it has way too many strings. I can hardly cope with 4 😉 

Is that actually in stock though? It’s been there for months with “details coming soon”. It’s also the older model with the massive tuners. TBH I’ve finally had a chance to try one and whilst the tone is great, that bottom horn is kind of a deal breaker, numb leg after 20 minutes. Shame.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Is that actually in stock though? It’s been there for months with “details coming soon”. It’s also the older model with the massive tuners.

TBH, when I looked last week, I did a search for bongos, there was the ejyptian mist one and that one, which was listed as sold.

Now I look today it is not listed as sold - not sure if it has been unsold?

Is it an old model? it has the newer nut, unlike the green/grey one.

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

TBH, when I looked last week, I did a search for bongos, there was the ejyptian mist one and that one, which was listed as sold.

Now I look today it is not listed as sold - not sure if it has been unsold?

Is it an old model? it has the newer nut, unlike the green/grey one.

Yes, I know it’s been on the site for about a year, didn’t see it was for sale, sold and now back for sale. Maybe it came back?

The newer ones (not sure what year but possibly 2016-2018) have the lighter, smaller tuners that they now use on the Stingray Specials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

Is that actually in stock though? It’s been there for months with “details coming soon”. It’s also the older model with the massive tuners. TBH I’ve finally had a chance to try one and whilst the tone is great, that bottom horn is kind of a deal breaker, numb leg after 20 minutes. Shame.

knowing them, it was sold months ago.  They're awful at updating their website, and (IME) bad people to deal with.

Shame the bottom horn caused you an issue, but it's a known issue with that design.  Out of interest, what model (age, strings) did you try?

Edited by falling_in2_infinity