Why become a member? ×

Building a Wal....ish

funkle

22 hours ago, funkle said:

‘Neck filter for a Wal is 85hz to 2700hz
Bridge 225hz to 2700hz. 

That feels low compared to the Lusithand at 4K, but demonstrably gets good results. I wonder what the dB per octave slope is?

Great video! It clearly delinates the difference in sound between the two - I felt like the Wal still sounds more defined, has that presence and growl. Thank you for taking us on the journey!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JPJ said:

Great video, and some nice playing. In all honesty I prefer the sound of the Wal’ish 

I have found myself leaning to the Wal-ish too. Other bass players I have had come over who have listened to it say they love the sound. I’m pretty happy with what I have achieved in it so far. I haven’t even demo’d single coil mode, which is really cool sounding. I’ll have to do it some time. 

However, I appreciate what the Wal does, and now I’m starting to understand the design elements better over time, I also appreciate how far ahead of its time it was too. If I can get nearer it sonically, I think it would be very cool. And I’m certain it’s possible, as I continue working with Chris Turner and others behind the scenes. 

It’s probably only become economically viable to consider a ‘Wal-ish’ as a proposition since Wal prices have gone up so stratospherically and the wait list is so long. But here I am, right place right time, so let’s do this…

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ian Ramsay said:

MARUSZCZYK INSTRUMENTS posted a new video.

Turner Multicoil + Lusithand Double NPF Special - Maruszczyk Jazzus 4a 34"

Very cool. Not a million miles away from the Wal-ish at all! 

I actually did talk to Adrian at the beginning of all of this about a custom Jazzus with Turner pickups but I wasn’t ready to commit to a final build at that point, too much experimentation to do. But he was very accommodating and would build pretty much whatever I asked for. 

• Like 1

Just checking back in, I really appreciate the hard numbers being presented here and there. I'm presently working on some new open source pedal adaptations of the resonant LPF format, expecially for acoustic-electric instruments, including upright bass. I'm kind of diverging further away from Wal territory, as the frequency sweeps on mine are going as high as 8kHz in some cases and my default is something like 500-6.5kHz. In pedals I find I can leverage more uptown higher current opamps and really jack the max filter gain up without incurring unwanted distortion, and all distortion is pretty much unwanted at the moment. 😉

I've also been talking to a couple of different pickup winders, looking for the absolute least overt coloration/voicing possible. Maybe not so much for the end product though, but I am trying to do what passes for actual science here and reducing variables is the way forward in my case, I reckon.

Lots of great work and I'm always appreciative of demo recordings too. 

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2023 at 18:47, funkle said:

I emailed them last year and asked them about it. Got a good email chain going. Then, they just stopped responding and I decided they might not be reliable. I got an email a while after that explaining one of their team had gone on paternity leave hence the unanswered emails, but by that point I had lost faith.  

Just an update from my end! Having an absolute nightmare with Guitar and Bass Builds to be honest.

Took the neck and body to a luthier in London and on inspection he found there to be a twist in the neck which he showed to me and was clearly visible. I sent the neck back to them and they denied that it was there.

I've been asking them to send the neck back to me or give me a refund for over a month now and have not received a single reply and they wont pick up the phone... Slightly at a loss as to what to do as they have my money and the neck right now!

And most of all getting very itchy to hear what mine might sound like after all the demos on this thread...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tom Stafford said:

Alright we’ll see how that turns out!

I am now in need of a neck!! It will have to be Stingray shape (and left handed). Annoyingly MM don’t sell official parts otherwise would just go down that route.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good builder in the UK? Preferably London area?

Here’s a couple of good threads on that topic:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/26654-recommended-luthiers/

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/472145-top-buildersluthiers-in-the-uk/

I wonder if it might be helpful to start your own build thread? I would very much like to see your progress. 

I’ve already shipped him the neck and some hardware for fitting. 

I haven’t got any other electronics to play with yet, though I may once the new body is here. 

In the meantime I am working on learning how to light my room better (so now I know about 3 point lighting setups, better late than never), edit video a bit more tightly, and of course practicing. I didn’t really intend this when I started this project, but I might now be able to get something more going on with YouTube. Who knows?

• Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 15:41, Tom Stafford said:

I am now in need of a neck!! It will have to be Stingray shape (and left handed). Annoyingly MM don’t sell official parts otherwise would just go down that route.

I've had quite a few bits and pieces off them over the years but for the first order I had to send them a pic of my serial.

4 hours ago, funkle said:

I’ve already shipped him the neck and some hardware for fitting. 

I haven’t got any other electronics to play with yet, though I may once the new body is here. 

In the meantime I am working on learning how to light my room better (so now I know about 3 point lighting setups, better late than never), edit video a bit more tightly, and of course practicing. I didn’t really intend this when I started this project, but I might now be able to get something more going on with YouTube. Who knows?

“I never quite cloned a Wal but ended up learning to make videos and now most my income comes from the YouTube channels I started”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1