Why become a member? ×

Building a Wal....ish

funkle

Has anyone compared the Turner pickups with the Herricks ? I visted the Herrick website https://www.herrickpickups.com/ and there is an interest blurb on what he does different:

Practically ALL our Multi-coil pickups are built with an integral full Soft Steel or Wrought Iron chassis. This chassis ensures that the tone is true to the genuine, Multi-coil sound . The reason for using a chassis is not just so that the pole pieces are height adjustable to handle just about any radiused finger board, but more importantly to Ensure that the Tone is Un-Coloured & Un-affected by the magnets used in construction .

The multi coils in Herrick Pickups are driven by the Magneto-Motive force passing through The Steel chassis & Pole pieces rather than the simple 1-magnet-per-coil set up used by other multi-coil pickup makers. 

A magnetised chassis makes the Tone experienced by the player as Transparent as possible to enhance the Natural tone of the actual woods used in your specific Instrument.

This is an important factor when choosing a multi-coil pickup system in both a passive circuit or with an active pre-amp as the Tone focuses on the woods used in construction, which makes every Instrument's tone Unique.

It's true that our multi-coil pickups are a little more expensive than other brands that lack a proper Steel or Wrought Iron chassis.

But when the benefits of the superior build are considered, Herrick multi-coils represent unbeatable value for money & a sound Investment for our customers.

Sure sounds interesting..

I definitely haven’t. Interested to hear others experiences. I’m not exactly sure what all of what was posted means either, but I assume that someone with better knowledge can translate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

is that that the pole pieces are steel and the magnets are at the bottom (like a Dimarzio P pickup) as opposed to where the pole pieces are the magnet (fender style) ?

That's probably what they're referring to...  steel pole pieces and steel "keepers" (chassis?) with magnets charging those, rather than something like Alnico rod magnets as poles.

Like Wal did/does with their pickups, as Pete mentioned early on in this thread: 

It's also how I do mine, with the English voicing versions having the thicker mild steel keepers and ceramic magnets that charge the and the pole screws (Original voicing construction is the same, but with shorter/thinner keepers and magnets, different wind count and wire gauge):

IMG_1917.thumb.JPG.b87386b7b56d284ff9aaa89c8ff5a2ca.JPG

IMG_1918.thumb.JPG.f0deab663ea044610f07458634828755.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, slowburnaz said:

That's probably what they're referring to...  steel pole pieces and steel "keepers" (chassis?) with magnets charging those, rather than something like Alnico rod magnets as poles.

Like Wal did/does with their pickups, as Pete mentioned early on in this thread: 

It's also how I do mine, with the English voicing versions having the thicker mild steel keepers and ceramic magnets that charge the and the pole screws (Original voicing construction is the same, but with shorter/thinner keepers and magnets, different wind count and wire gauge):

IMG_1917.thumb.JPG.b87386b7b56d284ff9aaa89c8ff5a2ca.JPG

IMG_1918.thumb.JPG.f0deab663ea044610f07458634828755.JPG

These look like the Bartolini HI-A pickups which had an individual coil for each string. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well NFP Special preamp should be here in a few days, gonna start making a new scratch plate for my p bass to accommodate the Turner multicoil and preamp. Then it’s just a case of sitting and bracing myself for the teabagging when the pickups arrive in the UK and I get the customs bill 😬

• Like 2

An interesting thing about the Herrick pickups is something a bit odd. Now, Martin advertises them as obviously needing routing for the depth. That's fine of course. What he didn't say was that the ears where the screws go in aren't straight and slope outwards towards the bottom. So, I had to get a tech to file half the casing back by 3mm up to halfway up the pickup.

Now when I said this, Martin told me he'd had feedback about this issue with standard MM cavities which I thought was peculiar he didn't say that or list it on his website.

Alas, I've not yet got the neck for the bitsa thr pickups are in, so I can't tell anyone how it compares to a Wal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, funkle said:

I haven’t seen any Stingray pickups or cavities with a slope/angle, and I’ve owned a few Stingrays…

It wasn't the pickups themselves. It was the ears where you'd put the screws through the pickups into the body. What it meant was that even discounting the difference in depth, they didn't fit without being filed down. I just thought it was weird that it wasn't on their website as there was no way they'd properly fit a Stingray route without some filing. 

• Like 3

It’s happening 🥲

IMG_9278.thumb.jpeg.69f479f31f0992d622170d29be17e632.jpeg

@funkle any thoughts around adapting the P-bass and placement? I was thinking when I make the new pick guard I’d make it slightly lower so that the pickups can sit closer to the bridge.

The electronics cavity might need to grow a slither to accommodate the extra control too!

IMG_9281.thumb.jpeg.8456537620bdcd58cc85671cfe8a722d.jpeg

Please excuse the crudeness of the mockup, the size of the pickups is correct but missing the ears/lugs/screw thingys. 

• Like 3

Hi gues! Sorry for my English.  I was very interested in the information from this thread, and I tried to make my own version of the wal amplifier.  I had to change the input stages to be able to adjust the original frequencies of the pickup.  I made a test recording yesterday on jazz bass

P. S. : Don't judge my performance too harshly, I tried to record this quickly, I haven't played tool band covers before

• Like 3

On 12/04/2024 at 08:01, Stas said:

Hi gues! Sorry for my English.  I was very interested in the information from this thread, and I tried to make my own version of the wal amplifier.  I had to change the input stages to be able to adjust the original frequencies of the pickup.  I made a test recording yesterday on jazz bass

P. S. : Don't judge my performance too harshly, I tried to record this quickly, I haven't played tool band covers before

You built a preamp this preamp of your own design ? It sounds good to me and the play is nice.

11 hours ago, notthefish said:

Вы построили предусилитель собственной разработки? Мне это кажется хорошим, и пьеса хороша.

You're right my friend. I studied the data in this thread and designed an equivalent circuit for the wal pickups. I corrected for deviations, and designed the amplifier's input stages so that the connected pickups were corrected for the frequencies of the original pickups.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Heck, the Turner multicoils just arrived today and they’re hefty! Here’s a DiMarzio Model P for reference. 

IMG_9405.thumb.jpeg.71fa86f8c011b568e8c137845d8f5a52.jpeg

Build quality is fantastic on these!

have fun with the router you're buying tomorrow! :D 

3 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Heck, the Turner multicoils just arrived today and they’re hefty! Here’s a DiMarzio Model P for reference. 

IMG_9405.thumb.jpeg.71fa86f8c011b568e8c137845d8f5a52.jpeg

Build quality is fantastic on these!

What can I say?  I like ‘em thicc 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

have fun with the router you're buying tomorrow! :D 

Haha well fortunately my dad was a luthier and still got all the gear and a small workshop available for use 🙌

Gonna be a fair bit of work, gotta make the router templates, router the new cavity for the bridge, extend the P cavity for the neck and then make the scratch plate.

Got a long list of other bits to sort like fixing a few dings, sorting a loose screw on the neck and strap lock where it’s loose. Also wanna take some of the gloss out of the finish.

May be a few evenings before I get to play it 🥲

• Like 1