Why become a member? ×

First ever audition

Linus27

Tomorrow afternoon I have my first ever audition. In the 20 years of playing I have never had one before. Always been in bands with friends. So as you can imagine, I am a little nervous especially as for the last year I have been learning to play with fingers and I really want to play with fingers in this audition. 20 years of pick player is a hard habit to change.

All the songs are original and I feel fairly comfortable with what I have learnt so far despite some of the bass being hard to hear in the mix.

Can anyone offer me some pointers, tips or advice for my audition. Thanks. :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='453206' date='Apr 3 2009, 12:06 PM']Tomorrow afternoon I have my first ever audition. In the 20 years of playing I have never had one before. Always been in bands with friends. So as you can imagine, I am a little nervous especially as for the last year I have been learning to play with fingers and I really want to play with fingers in this audition. 20 years of pick player is a hard habit to change.

All the songs are original and I feel fairly comfortable with what I have learnt so far despite some of the bass being hard to hear in the mix.

Can anyone offer me some pointers, tips or advice for my audition. Thanks. :)[/quote]

I've only ever been for two auditions and got neither gig so I won't give you any advice! Good luck with it though!

I've only had one audition, and that was for my current band. Had only been playing for a year!

I kinda dared myself to do it, knowing I had no chance but would be a good experience.

I think the reason I got the job was that I got on with the rest of the band. I'd argue its probably the most important thing. I also went with the view that it was me auditioning them as much as them auditioning me. If you're used to playing with mates, its important that you like them as a group, or you'll sonn be looking for a swift exit.

I can't really help on the technical side, as long as you've shown willing and committment by trying to learn the songs, and you come across as a decent, laid back fella, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Easy for me to say, but try not to be nervous. And for god's sake don't be tempted to go for any dutch courage beforehand. :)
Make sure all your kit is working properly beforehand. Don't fiddle for ages getting a sound -- plug in, switch on, say you're ready. Be friendly, & give an air of professionalism. Do what you are most comfortable with. Don't pull a massive face or grovel any apologies if you fluff something. Enjoy yourself, or at least [i]look like [/i]you're enjoying yourself, and above all, GOOD LUCK! :rolleyes:

& let us know how you get on, OK?

make it look like your enjoying the songs, stay close to the drummer and get 'deep with the groove'.

Abit of movement's always a bonus too!

one thing i've learnt , if it's cold, wear gloves before hand. The ammount of times i've had to play with cold hands, its ever so tricky!

Edited by cris the man

[quote name='Linus27' post='453206' date='Apr 3 2009, 12:06 PM']Tomorrow afternoon I have my first ever audition. In the 20 years of playing I have never had one before. Always been in bands with friends. So as you can imagine, I am a little nervous especially as for the last year I have been learning to play with fingers and I really want to play with fingers in this audition. 20 years of pick player is a hard habit to change.
Can anyone offer me some pointers, tips or advice for my audition. Thanks. :)[/quote]

Can only think of one thing. Take a small towel to keep your hands dry. Lots of luck. Go Linus27.

Balcro

I used my job interview mindset - it's not an interview, I'm just going for a yap with someone about a job. I've got almost every job I've interviewed for and I've auditioned for one band and they said yes.

Relaxation is the key.

+1 on the auditioning them, and not just for music. Best to make sure your overall objectives are the same
+1 on crib sheets. better to do that than to appear as if you've not been arsed to try and learn the stuff .. Also try to remember which tune is which as if they are originals the names won't necessarily be associated with the tunes in your mind yet.

Don't feel you have to play exactly what's on the recording they gave you unless it's key to the tune.
Be yourself and don't be afraid to say that [i]you'll[/i] let [i]them[/i] know as you have a few other bands to see.....

I've only ever had one audition. I was 2 hours late and by the time I got there the two band members were already very stoned. After jamming with the drummer for a bit I asked if I had the job. He said yes. The singer mumbled something about having auditioned lots of people and letting me know at which point the drummer started laughing uncontrollably.

I bet yours is nothing like that so turn up on time, be polite and try to be fun as well.

Edited by The Funk

Been quite lucky as I've only ever had 3 auditions (technically 4 but with one I was the only bass player to turn up so it hardly counts) but got the job each time. It's true about the 'you auditioning them' bit, in hindsight I probably should have turned down one of the 3 offers I got. Best of luck, give them a genuine impression of what you are going to play like and your personality if the job gets offered. Nothing worse than auditioning someone and then they turn up 'for real' a totally different person.

[quote name='spike' post='453241' date='Apr 3 2009, 12:29 PM']Turn up on time and just be yourself. As tBBC said, remember you're auditioning them as much as they're auditioning you. Good luck![/quote]

That is a key point, check them out as well. We had a singer audition for our band. We fire up and our guitarist is messing about just strumming along because "he wants to hear the singer sing" we tell him to play correctly, he refuses, singer is excellent, but refuses to join band because of guitatarists attitute. Band folded about a week after that.

Set up your gear as quickly as possible, and if they are still lugging gear in offer to help out, speaks volumes that !
Just relax, when they ask you what song you want to start with, just tell em you know all the tunes so you don't mind. Then blow em away !

Good Luck with it.

If you like the stuff and you can play it well you've got every chance of getting the gig. If not you won't. Auditions I've gone to where I know deep down I'm pushing my luck I've crashed and burned. Other than that be polite and friendly and say thanks for the chance even if it doesn't work out - you never know :rolleyes: You're going to be a bit nervous s0 make sure you have the songs down really well... That might sound obvious but there'll be all sorts of stuff going through your head so you don't want to have to think about getting the notes right!!

[quote name='Linus27' post='453206' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:06 AM']Tomorrow afternoon I have my first ever audition. In the 20 years of playing I have never had one before. Always been in bands with friends. So as you can imagine, I am a little nervous especially as for the last year I have been learning to play with fingers and I really want to play with fingers in this audition. 20 years of pick player is a hard habit to change.

20 years of playing? you only look about 22 in your pic. You must be the "Peter Pan" of bass players. Hope it went well for you and you got the gig.

[quote name='leschirons' post='453672' date='Apr 3 2009, 08:52 PM']20 years of playing? you only look about 22 in your pic. You must be the "Peter Pan" of bass players. Hope it went well for you and you got the gig.[/quote]

hehehe thank you. Well I don't look 22 but I have been told I don't look my age (38) so I got something going for me :):)

[quote name='bassace' post='453677' date='Apr 3 2009, 08:59 PM']Good luck! Are you taking the Stagg? If not it may be a good idea to mention it to show your versatility. Might give them some ideas.[/quote]

No Stagg this time, probably just the Jazz. I might take the Musicman or the cursed Lakland as a backup. Mentioning however as well as fretless might be a good move.