Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: Zoom B6

rushbo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finaly I got to spend some time with the B6.

TL;DR:

why didn't I do this sooner? There's a lot of pedals that are going to go to the marketplace in the following weeks.

First, this thing is very intuitive. I did have a quick look at the "quick tour" leaflet, but it wasn't needed. I suppose for some functions like setting up an expression pedal will require I check the manual first, but most functions are very easy to perform.

I really like the different 'play modes'. When I read about them on the guide I wasn't sure, but in use it made a lot of sense. 

I was a little concerned that the processor wasn't powerful enough, as it seems easy to fill up the 'allowance' with certain hungry effects... but in practice it doesn't seem an issue, and it's easy to set alternative presets next to each other to get around that to some extent.

The other thing that stood out to me was the overdrive/distortions. I have never really liked any of Zoom's dirt models, ever since my first multiFX, a Zoom 2020. Last one I had before the B6 was a MS-60B. I confess I didn't experiment a lot with it but what I did I didn't love. I don't know what the B3n sounds like... but I like the B6. Lots. Many of my dirt pedals are going to be let go, the B6 is nice enough for my needs. 

The touch screen is a great thing to have. It makes navigating the unit so easy. 

Tonight I'll try it with guitar. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

When I make custom patches with my B6 how do I get the 4 effect buttons mapped to the effects. I can turn them on and off by checking the red box. But I cannot get the 1-4 effects buttons to light up when in pedal board mode with my custom patches. 

2 hours ago, ej314 said:

When I make custom patches with my B6 how do I get the 4 effect buttons mapped to the effects. I can turn them on and off by checking the red box. But I cannot get the 1-4 effects buttons to light up when in pedal board mode with my custom patches. 

In one of the modes (I forget which, but there's only 4 I think?) you'll see icons for each pedal on the screen, with a little grey footswitch on top. You can use that to change the assignment of individual FX to the 4 footswitches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I took my b6 to band practice last night and noticed annoying electronic click through cabinet, this only happened 2 or 3 between songs when patch is engaged. Not massively loud but bloody annoying. Does this sound similar, is it a digital thing or perhaps a fault within my Zoom?

I used the rehearsal combo this week but plan to take my own head and cab next week.

I've not noticed it at home but I am playing a quite low volume.

I have already forewarned the retailer that I may send it back for exchange.

12 minutes ago, paddy109 said:

I took my b6 to band practice last night and noticed annoying electronic click through cabinet, this only happened 2 or 3 between songs when patch is engaged. Not massively loud but bloody annoying. Does this sound similar, is it a digital thing or perhaps a fault within my Zoom?

I used the rehearsal combo this week but plan to take my own head and cab next week.

I've not noticed it at home but I am playing a quite low volume.

I have already forewarned the retailer that I may send it back for exchange.

This happens when you're playing or not playing...or randomly?

If it doesn't happen at home then that would indicate something in the rehearsal room environment (electrically/electronically) or with the gear provided.

A lot of buildings just have bad power and RFI noise issues. Did you try playing into their amp directly, no B6 in line?

Personally, I've only had dead quiet operation everywhere I've used mine, home or at gigs, so no odd clicking that I can ever recall.

I'd keep a close eye on this and triple check everything out at home using ( if you have them ) different cables, basses, amps, power sources.

See if you can replicate it.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Didn't have time to build a pedal board for last night's gig so I bunged four effects together on a patch on my B6 and legged it out of the house.

Every time I have gigged this pedal the sounds from it have been superb. Yesterday was no exception. 

I believe it's the most underrated of all the multi effects. Underrated by me of course. Except now it isn't because I'm rating it. Highly.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Didn't have time to build a pedal board for last night's gig so I bunged four effects together on a patch on my B6 and legged it out of the house.

Every time I have gigged this pedal the sounds from it have been superb. Yesterday was no exception. 

I believe it's the most underrated of all the multi effects. Underrated by me of course. Except now it isn't because I'm rating it. Highly.

I wonder if attitudes to it would be different if they had put it in a metal case.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tripehound said:

I wonder if attitudes to it would be different if they had put it in a metal case.

Well maybe who knows? All I know is there are few better envelope filter, distortion, synth and preamp sounds on the market right now 

On 13/10/2023 at 11:35, Tripehound said:

I think plastic is a thing though, you know quite a few aeroplanes are made largely of plastic these days...  Is that gonna stop you flying in one? 

And has anyone experienced a B6 which cannot keep up with the rigours of gigging life? Just asking! 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a little run of gigs this week and took the B6 for them all. The plan being to use it in the hotel room for a bit of headphone noodling. 

Of course I was way too busy with traditional rock star activities to do that, but on stage it performed admirably. 

The sounds really are first class. I use it in pedal board mode and I'm finding out more about adjusting effects on the fly, switching between boards and so on. 

It's wonderfully light to carry, way smaller than my traditional boards but not so cramped I can't hit the right switch at the right time, and that tuner! It's so stable, so big, so visible - a joy to use.

• Like 5

On 18/10/2023 at 17:36, MoJoKe said:

I think plastic is a thing though, you know quite a few aeroplanes are made largely of plastic these days...  Is that gonna stop you flying in one? 

And has anyone experienced a B6 which cannot keep up with the rigours of gigging life? Just asking! 

Zoom's use of composites has been a discussion point for years, but every one I have owned has never had a problem. In fact, I would say that they have all been very robust.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Zoom's use of composites has been a discussion point for years, but every one I have owned has never had a problem. In fact, I would say that they have all been very robust.

I've had several zoom units in the past, both plastic and metal housing. One of the plastic ones developed a fault with one of the jacks. This was due body of the unit flexing when I stepped on a footswitch damaging surface mounted jack socket connection. A solid, metal enclosure is less likely to suffer this problem.

This is the same reason I stopped using those solid jack-to-jack stompbox connectors - just a little flex can damage the jack socket connection.