Why become a member? ×

End of the road

Telebass

That's crappy news 😔

Best of luck with the Op  and recovery process...

Someone suggested a bass uke.

I tried a Kala U bass yesterday,  and was surprised how good it was with its wee rubber strings. 

Otherwise, Chapman Sticks are hilariously light and can be played seated. They just take forever to learn to play well.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

That's crappy news 😔

Chapman Sticks are hilariously light and can be played seated. They just take forever to learn to play well.

I tried a Stick about 35 years ago. I still have a slight headache.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Surgery cancelled. Quelle surprise...  :(

Rescheduled for 20th/30th Jan 23, bed -blocking in between to save having to travel home and back while trying to recover - 250 miles.

I reckon I'll be lucky if it doesn't slip again. Bonus (!) is, once they start, they have to continue.

Edited by Telebass
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

Righty ho, time I kept all you lovely people up to date.

First op was 20th Jan. This was anterior lumbar interbody fusion  and basically bangs a titanium cage between L5 and S1 vertebrae, spine and pelvis partial fusion. Done from the front. Can be dangerous   but went well. 

Next up, spine reshaping and fusion from S1 to T10. That's a long way. During this op, I managed to effectively bleed out, most being recycled and put back in. Nine hours straight, in one position,  so I have a collection of pressure injuries too, although fairly trivial. Couple of days in ICU, then to normal ward. Progressing well, then oopsie, leg turned into a blimp. DVT at top of leg/groin area. Further investigations show there are also one in each lung. Much imbibing of anticoagulants! This is sometimes addressed with surgery also, but they've decided against that. I'm pleased, I look like a badly patched rag doll as it is. What counts though, is that my spine has been restored to something like a normal shape - I can stand upright again!

Weak as a kitten, and will be for months. Will effectively have to learn to walk again also, as those muscles are very weak after 3 years not doing a lot.

Home on Friday, loaded down with dressings, anticoagulants,  and pain killers. Even this is a trial, as home is 125 miles from the hospital.

The tunnel end is approaching!

Edited by Telebass
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 2

Glad to hear the surgery went well. It really is a tricky operation, as there's so much "in the way" as it were - not least of all some large main vessels! But that went well - so that's the worst part over.

Sorry to hear about the DVT - but at least that's treatable with drugs. Fingers crossed that everything goes well from now on. 

Keep us posted, and all the best for a speedy recovery. Take care.
Marc

• Like 1