Why become a member? ×

Status out of fashion again ?

Marcus

[quote name='Marcus' post='449662' date='Mar 30 2009, 05:13 PM']Seems like every other day another shiny plank of graphite lovliness is up on the block here.....

Has the Status resurgence fizzled out...... ?

Are Status Basses once again out of vogue ?[/quote]

MB1. :)
I did warn ya Mark ! not to open that 2nd bottle of J.D! :rolleyes:

I think that more than anything people are feeling the pinch. There're a lot of high end basses around for sale at the moment. I only sold two in the last couple of weeks as I wasn't playing one of them & I've bought a more recent, optioned up duplicate of another.

Quality like that never goes out of fashion :)

The other thing is that for many, the headed versions are less desirable. Yes, some prefer the headed basses, but for most Status means graphite and headless. Just witness how fast my headless ones have sold!

Rich.

[quote name='Marcus' post='449662' date='Mar 30 2009, 05:13 PM']Seems like every other day another shiny plank of graphite lovliness is up on the block here.....

Has the Status resurgence fizzled out...... ?

Are Status Basses once again out of vogue ?[/quote]

Their big name endorser is Mark King. When was he last in the hit parade? Level 42 do the nostalgia circuit, so maybe the association isn't all it could be to Status?

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='449745' date='Mar 30 2009, 05:26 PM']I don't doubt they're great instruments, but I'm not sure they've been"fashionable" for many, many years!

Mark King is hardly the epitome of cool![/quote]

+1 - I've got nothing against them, and the vintage thing Guy Pratt uses looks lovely, but IMO Status haven't been 'in fashion' since the days people pushed the sleeves up on their flecked suit jackets.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='449755' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:38 PM']Thankfully of course fashion is not indicative of quality, sound or playability.[/quote]

True, and as I say, I'm sure they're great instruments in a lot of ways. Just always struck me as the type of instrument that's used in the studio, but put to one side when a video camera enters the room! They really go against the grain of fashion currently. Vintage styled instruments seem much more popular.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='449718' date='Mar 30 2009, 05:55 PM']Their big name endorser is Mark King. When was he last in the hit parade? Level 42 do the nostalgia circuit, so maybe the association isn't all it could be to Status?[/quote]

That really does apply to any brand though....

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='449764' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:46 PM']Vintage style instruments are indeed more popular and of course, more accessible.

But I'm not really getting this 'fashion' thing people keep mentioning. Have a look at my avatar. I'm a musician. Not some kind of fashion icon, LOL![/quote]

Oh I think you are..... :)

In fashion, out of fashion, 'naff' or not ('naff', how quaint, I haven't heard anyone use that word in years... it must be [i]terribly[/i] unfashionable by now) -- doesn't matter in the end really, 'cos they play beautifully and sound terrific.
But then again, what would I know? I'm not one of the, errm what was it? ah yes, one of the "Cool People" :)

[quote name='Rich' post='449884' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:39 PM']In fashion, out of fashion, 'naff' or not ('naff', how quaint, I haven't heard anyone use that word in years... it must be [i]terribly[/i] unfashionable by now) -- doesn't matter in the end really, 'cos they play beautifully and sound terrific.
But then again, what would I know? I'm not one of the, errm what was it? ah yes, one of the "Cool People" :)[/quote]

You've got a proper bee in your bonnet over that haven't you? Cheer up, Rich.

I take it you've got one of those uber-naff basses so I've upset you again? Sorry. Again. Ish.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='449846' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:06 PM']Status basses used to be fashionable?

I remember a kid at my school got a Status Empathy when they came out, that must've been 1989-90-ish, and they were even naff then.[/quote]
OMG, u went to a school where someone actually owned a Status bass?!!! Ewwwwwwwwww...u r so uncool. :)