Why become a member? ×

Status out of fashion again ?

Marcus

[quote name='ARGH' post='449742' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:20 PM']I still think Headless itself is on the way back,because its SOOOOO much easier on the spine...[/quote]
Back sufferers unite! :)
I always liked the idea of headless.. so much easier balance and less injuries to other band members. :rolleyes:
Stuff fashion.. I play folky!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673&hl=[/url]

Edited by hubrad

Having (just about) acquired the quirky looking Streamline from Rich I can understand some of the comments in this thread.
Like many I am swayed by looks, but I can honestly say I don't give a toss about fashion (e.g. I have never owned a Black Ric 4003 and never will). I'm buying the SLine because it's light, sounds great, balances well and is built well. For bands that I (may) play in that find it's looks sort of meh then I'm quite happy to drag out the Ray4 or MIA P (but my shoulder won't be).

Edited by martthebass

I wonder what is the percentage of bassists who play Status who aren't Mark King clones or in a Level 42 tribute?.

To be fair, I've had a King Bass, and it was a solid and interesting bass, but for some reason it just didn't jump out as spectacular. It was also capable of more than just hammering out Level 42 tunes, but unfortunately thats mostly all we see from them.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='450821' date='Mar 31 2009, 07:49 PM']I wonder what is the percentage of bassists who play Status who aren't Mark King clones or in a Level 42 tribute?.

To be fair, I've had a King Bass, and it was a solid and interesting bass, but for some reason it just didn't jump out as spectacular. It was also capable of more than just hammering out Level 42 tunes, but unfortunately thats mostly all we see from them.[/quote]

MB1. :)
I own a Kingbass Artist and agree!... definately not a one trick Pony!..

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='450315' date='Mar 31 2009, 10:10 AM']That's right, let's all knock what we haven't tried, don't understand, or worse still can't afford. The detractors here quite simply have way too much time on their hands.[/quote]

Well that's one perspective mate.....

In my case..... I've most likely had more Status Basses than you have, certainly understand them and could buy a dozen if I fancied !!!

My original point was about whether or not they are the current "In Thing" not if they are good instruments !

[quote name='Josh' post='450821' date='Mar 31 2009, 07:49 PM']I wonder what is the percentage of bassists who play Status who aren't Mark King clones or in a Level 42 tribute?.[/quote]

Don't like Mark King and don't have the talent to be in a L42 tribute band.

Mine will play a combination of 60/70's Rock/Pop and 80's/90's Indie.

I don't get precious about brands - what's the point. It'd be boring if we all liked the same things. Anyhow what do I know, I buy M&S jeans instead of Levis because they last longer

[quote name='Marcus' post='450834' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:08 PM']Well that's one perspective mate.....

In my case..... I've most likely had more Status Basses than you have, certainly understand them and could buy a dozen if I fancied !!!

My original point was about whether or not they are the current "In Thing" not if they are good instruments ![/quote]

Unsure if theyre the Current "In Thing"... they continue to sell well in fashion or not!..... they hold there value......and they are British!......Which is Nice! :rolleyes:

[quote name='MB1' post='450846' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:23 PM']MB1. :)
Unsure if theyre the Current "In Thing"... they continue to sell well in fashion or not!..... they hold there value......and they are British!......Which is Nice! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Agreed...... I'll most likely buy a KB II or a headed Empathy befor the year is out, although i'll use it in the house for "Tidly-bop" cos generally i've found them useless in a band situation..... I'm sure they record well and are great for theatre stuff..... but put them up against 2 Marshall stacks and you're looking to borrow a P Bass for the 2nd set !!!

[quote name='Marcus' post='450849' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:27 PM']Agreed...... I'll most likely buy a KB II or a headed Empathy befor the year is out, although i'll use it in the house for "Tidly-bop" cos generally i've found them useless in a band situation..... I'm sure they record well and are great for theatre stuff..... but put them up against 2 Marshall stacks and you're looking to borrow a P Bass for the 2nd set !!![/quote]

Blimey!.. Mark.. ive never had that problem with mine you know!

[quote name='Marcus' post='450849' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:27 PM']Agreed...... I'll most likely buy a KB II or a headed Empathy befor the year is out, although i'll use it in the house for "Tidly-bop" cos generally i've found them useless in a band situation..... I'm sure they record well and are great for theatre stuff..... but put them up against 2 Marshall stacks and you're looking to borrow a P Bass for the 2nd set !!![/quote]

I'll never get why Precisions are so popular. In my humble opinion, they sound terrible, feel terrible to play, are too heavy and look horrendous. But fashion and I really do not get on well together...

[quote name='geilerbass' post='450971' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:15 PM']I'll never get why Precisions are so popular. In my humble opinion, they sound terrible, feel terrible to play, are too heavy and look horrendous. But fashion and I really do not get on well together...[/quote]

Agreed. I've had three Precisions and have never yet found one I fully liked the sound of. The 08 American Standard was the closest. Typically, I traded it for another Status, LOL!

Rich.

I think if I had to summarise it.......

A good status, with a suitable amp and the right EQ, in the right room, in the right band, when jupiter is perfectly aligned with saturn, can give you a great tone that can "carve" through a band mix.

A Good Precision / Jazz bass into any amp with the EQ flat in any room on any day just punches a hole in the mix carries weight and get's heard.

Just my opinion..... but it's based on my experience..... could say the same for Alembic, Jaydee, GB as well.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='450988' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:51 PM']Fair comment, Marcus - I think a lot of it also depends on our hearing. Obviously we all hear different frequencies better & for me a Precision gets buried in the mix, whereas my Status basses always cut through.[/quote]

Very true...... my lugs are pin sharp since I had grommits fitted, went through a couple of years not really hearing much top end, my Alembic years I like to call them :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='449745' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:26 PM']I don't doubt they're great instruments, but I'm not sure they've been"fashionable" for many, many years!

Mark King is hardly the epitome of cool![/quote]

Maybe he isn't the epitome of "cool" but was probably responsible for 20% of the Brit bass playing population being in existence.

[quote name='leschirons' post='451172' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:46 AM']Maybe he isn't the epitome of "cool" but was probably responsible for 20% of the Brit bass playing population being in existence.[/quote]
You really think so? One-in-five bass players in the UK do it because of Mark King?

Nah.

One-in-five Mark King fans, maybe.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='451175' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:50 AM']You really think so? One-in-five bass players in the UK do it because of Mark King?

Nah.

One-in-five Mark King fans, maybe.[/quote]

Interesting to note that 74.3% of statistics are made up on the spot !!

I started playing bass after hearing Marcus's lines on Luther's first Album, then got into Level 42 shortly after

Could be a threat on it's own this....... if it's not been done already !!

Edited by Marcus

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='451175' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:50 AM']One-in-five Mark King fans, maybe.[/quote]

Ha, that sounds more accurate! I have noticed he's a very 'British' bass guy to love (what with being from the Isle of Wight). I could never say I was a massive fan, but some of Level 42's stuff is a lot of fun.

Excuse my ignorance but I'm having a hard time thinking about many other Status players around at the moment?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='451370' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:26 PM']I know Pete Trewewewewewewewewas out of Marillion played one for a bit. With his sleeves pushed up.

Guy Pratt.

Umm...[/quote]
John "Rhino" Edwards - Status Quo
Steve Firth - Embrace
Hellmut Hattler - Kraan
Mike Porcaro - Toto
etc.