Why become a member? ×

Status out of fashion again ?

Marcus

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='449898' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:48 PM']OMG, u went to a school where someone actually owned a Status bass?!!! Ewwwwwwwwww...u r so uncool. :)[/quote]

I appreciate that because I think Status basses look dated and coffee table basses look vulgar I'm not going to fit in with the elite anoraks on a bass guitar forum, but that doesn't make me any less right. :rolleyes:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='449890' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:42 PM']You've got a proper bee in your bonnet over that haven't you? Cheer up, Rich.
I take it you've got one of those uber-naff basses so I've upset you again? Sorry. Again. Ish.[/quote]
Bee in my bonnet? Nah, not at all, I just find it utterly hilarious that anyone could place so much importance on how 'cool' an instrument is/isn't, like it's a pair of trainers or something.
And yes, I have a dreadfully naff Status, as well as my hideously out of date coffee table bass, all of which is in keeping with my enormous personal lack of fashion sense. Ask me if I care, go on. :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='449745' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:26 PM']I don't doubt they're great instruments, but I'm not sure they've been"fashionable" for many, many years!

Mark King is hardly the epitome of cool![/quote]

I have to disagree with you BBC...... Mark King is the epitome of cool..... he even says so himself.... at about 0:18s

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5cBQ49yTQI"]Sunbed Song[/url]
:)

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='449846' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:06 PM']Status basses used to be fashionable?

I remember a kid at my school got a Status Empathy when they came out, that must've been 1989-90-ish, and they were even naff then.[/quote]

Steady now !

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='449764' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:46 PM']Vintage style instruments are indeed more popular and of course, more accessible.

But I'm not really getting this 'fashion' thing people keep mentioning. Have a look at my avatar. I'm a musician. Not some kind of fashion icon, LOL![/quote]

For those of us who don't earn a living from our instruments, fashion can play a huge part of building desirability (and therefore sales) into a brand.

Regardless....... in however many years of Basschat / Basstalk etc never seen so many Statii up on the block !!

Edited by Marcus

[quote name='Rich' post='449922' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:04 PM']Bee in my bonnet? Nah, not at all, I just find it utterly hilarious that anyone could place so much importance on how 'cool' an instrument is/isn't, like it's a pair of trainers or something.[/quote]

Well, you have to wear it, don't you? And when you wear it everybody in the room is staring at you, so of course it matters what it looks like.

I am quite picky about trainers too. :)

[quote name='Rich' post='449922' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:04 PM']I just find it utterly hilarious that anyone could place so much importance on how 'cool' an instrument is/isn't, like it's a pair of trainers or something.[/quote]

A musician that has never been bothered about looking cool is a rare commodity. You should be in a museum.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='449957' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:30 PM']A musician that has never been bothered about looking cool is a rare commodity. You should be in a museum.[/quote]
If I was bothered about looking cool when I play, I'd sell all my kit now :rolleyes:
Many years ago when I was in a band that was trying to get signed and be the next big thing, it was different. Although I never extended my fashion-consciousness to my choice of bass, but it didn't seem to be so important back then. It was the image rather than the instrument.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='449944' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:22 PM']Well, you have to wear it, don't you? And when you wear it everybody in the room is staring at you, so of course it matters what it looks like.[/quote]
I prefer to think of it as everybody in the room is [i]listening to[/i] you, so it matters what it [i]sounds[/i] like. :)
Look, I'm a slapheaded old fart and I don't play in even remotely trendy bands playing even slightly fashionable music, so looking cool honestly doesn't matter a rat's arse to me. You're obviously younger than me and so it's completely different for you. 25 years ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly! :D

[quote name='Rich' post='449988' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:45 PM']I prefer to think of it as everybody in the room is [i]listening to[/i] you, so it matters what it [i]sounds[/i] like. :rolleyes:
Look, I'm a slapheaded old fart and I don't play in even remotely trendy bands playing even slightly fashionable music, so looking cool honestly doesn't matter a rat's arse to me. You're obviously younger than me and so it's completely different for you. 25 years ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly! :D[/quote]

I'm not that young, I'll be 35 this summer, but I'm the oldest person in both of my bands so I have to make some sort of effort. My hair's going too so the bass is having to hold up its end of the cool-looking a lot more than it used to! :)

Jeff Berlin is one of my style icons, do you mind... :) Something about the way he wears his trousers, I think...

One person's cool is another person's naff. It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same stuff.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='449970' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:36 PM']What do you get if you cross a musician with someone who doesn't care how he/she looks?

Jeff Berlin.

And no one wants that.[/quote]

Quote of the year.

I've owned 2 Status basses. They sounded great, and played really well. I used them for many gigs in a punk/rock band, and have to admit, they were in no way cool basses. But then I wouldn't consider any bass with a fancy wood top cool. I'm really starting to appriciate the "beat up solid colour covered in stickers" look these days. But then I am a guitarist.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='450315' date='Mar 31 2009, 10:10 AM']That's right, let's all knock what we haven't tried, don't understand, or worse still can't afford. The detractors here quite simply have way too much time on their hands.[/quote]

It's all a matter of taste though, isn't it. I'm not a fan of headless basses or figured tops, and Status do knock out a fair few of those.

They certainly don't have to look that way though and Status have produced a fair few that don't fit that mould.
[attachment=23085:Status.jpg]

(Though on the subject of fashion - what the hell was he thinking? Cutoff dungarees? :) )

Oh, and I actually own a Status. A Matrix Series 1 - in black.

Edited by Musky

You don't need to own a bass to know if it's cool or not - that's what a sense of taste is for! I very much liked the S2 classic I had built and the old S1 I had, not to mention the Status necked frankenstein P bass I built. The only cool one out of those was the P though, and that had nothing to do with the neck.

[quote name='Wil' post='450446' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:41 PM']You don't need to own a bass to know if it's cool or not - that's what a sense of taste is for! I very much liked the S2 classic I had built and the old S1 I had, not to mention the Status necked frankenstein P bass I built. The only cool one out of those was the P though, and that had nothing to do with the neck.[/quote]
:)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='450315' date='Mar 31 2009, 10:10 AM']That's right, let's all knock what we haven't tried, don't understand, or worse still can't afford. The detractors here quite simply have way too much time on their hands.[/quote]
I've tried loads of Statuses and owned a couple, understand them very well thank you and as I seem to be able to afford a bass that would retail at approximately twice the price of a S2 6-string, money doesn't come into it. Still wouldn't buy one :rolleyes: You're right though, it is nearly lunchtime and I do have too much time on my hands :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='450315' date='Mar 31 2009, 09:10 AM']That's right, let's all knock what we haven't tried, don't understand, or worse still can't afford. The detractors here quite simply have way too much time on their hands.[/quote]

It doesn't cost any money or time to decide wether I like the look of something or not.

Just sayin'.

I don't think anybody's said that they're bad basses, the thread is about how "fashionable" they are.

But now that you mention it I have tried a bunch of Status basses and I didn't like any of them.

[quote name='crez5150' post='450451' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:46 PM']:)[/quote]

I see Status basses as tools. A Status is a very good example of a bass that is well engineered to do a job. It's better at what it does than a P bass, from a technical standpoint. They lack character though, big time - you could pick up an S2 classic and it will feel and sound like any other S2 classic with similar woods. I'm not knocking that, but from an asthetic standpoint they leave me cold now. I like my instruments to have a bit of character, and to demand a bit more input. You have to work something like a P a bit more to get a good tone, I find that rewarding, and cool.

Of course, if you are say, a jazz musician, a good tool for the job is going to be high on the agenda. Looking cool probably less so :rolleyes:

Edited by Wil

I think aesthetically they're very 80's... remind me a lot of Steinbergers in that respect. But what do I know, I was only born in 1989.

And honestly, as much as I believe a lot of the guys that have said 'I don't care about looking cool on stage', there really is no denying that most popular music has everything to do with fashion, and that means right down to the axe you've got in your hand sometimes as well. Aesthetic has everything to do with popular music nowadays.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='449822' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:39 PM']Actually, now you come to mention it, when the statii crew all met up at the O2 arena a few weeks ago, the proportion of us that were bald with glasses was quite alarming, LOL![/quote]
Sounds like I'm destined to own a Status then...