Why become a member? ×

Judas Priest's Rocka Rolla: Hard Rock or Heavy Metal?

Judas Priest's Rocka Rolla: Heavy Metal or Hard Rock?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Hard Rock or Heavy Metal?

• Heavy Metal
    • Hard Rock

2 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Listen to Animalize, 111% Heavy Metal

I saw them live with Kulick at the infamous Troubadour in Hollywood & they were Heavy Metal at that time, as well.

I'll politely disagree with you. Not looking for an argument, but I don't feel Animalize is any different to the rest of their catalogue (agreed Dynasty is an oddball).

I've seen them live many times and have spent more than I care to admit on their recorded output in various formats over the years.

19 minutes ago, bode said:

But I will add Kiss to the debate. How the he'll did they get into heavy metal circles? It's pop music!

Disco goodness! 😆

19 minutes ago, bode said:

Metal bands with keyboards is heading into prog rock territory. But then what are Van Halen? 😕

Here we go  ...

21 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Carnival of Souls is probably as close as they ever got - IMHO.

Now I know you're just yankin' my chain, LOL!

Anyway, Riki Rachtman (of MTV fame) was there to record KISS with Kulick at the Troubadour, which pretty much defines the whole layout as Heavy Metal. It might be Glam Metal, but it's not that different from Mötley Crüe at the time.

48 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Carnival of Souls is probably as close as they ever got - IMHO.

I was only kidding about Riki Rachtman, he's buddies with the Guns & Roses clan, but somehow fell from grace with Nikki Sixx & M.C..

GnR aren't Heavy Metal & never claimed to be, in fact Saul Hudson wrote that he doesn't like it with people lump them in as H.M..

I used to go to Riki's clubs & see Faster Pussycat open up for other bands, F.P. is fronted by Riki's partner in the club. 

Carnival has some good tracks that are heavy, but also some lame stinkers, I feel like there are more winning tracks on Animalize. Heaven's on Fire was in their set for a long time, maybe still is.

That's the thing with genres, they're fine for organising the stock of music shops (look them up, kids) but generally not applicable in the real world when it comes to art. Bands tend to get labelled as something and struggle to shake off the label even when they're not playing whatever it is they're labelled as. We had this discussion recently with "thrash" which went from being used to describe a very specific style of music to the lazy bundling together of the output of a large and varied collection of bands, most of whom were not actually playing thrash.

Genres belong in the bin with Peter Criss' cat makeup. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Genres belong in the bin with Peter Criss' cat makeup. 

Absolutely agree with this. The Cure were stuck with the Goth label for years even when playing very poppy songs. Americana seems to be the latest catch all label to apply to artists that can’t be pigeonholed with an existing label.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Did you see that BBC programme over Christmas, they showed lots of footage from broadcast performances of heavy metal, had Budgie and all sorts. It was a real treat to watch. I think it was late on Boxing Day evening, or maybe after they aired Metallica at Glastonbury.. Anyway, it was great, they showed this Priest performance, I'm sure of it. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BO9T5pQ6IeI

Credit due to the "Hell bent for chiffon" comment 😂

Edited by Doctor J

10 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

A Wise Man once wrote ...

A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.

As true today as it ever was. B|

Was it ever true?

"We examined whether presenting an odor with a positive, neutral, or negative name would influence how people perceive it... Taken together, these experiments show that there is a lot to a name, at least when it comes to olfactory perception."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17959740/

11 hours ago, bode said:

I struggle with anything after Somewhere in Time. But I will add Kiss to the debate. How the he'll did they get into heavy metal circles? It's pop music!

I am the same, that is the last Maiden album I bought. But maiden had keyboards from way back (well, technically they had keyboards long before Cliver Burr and Paul Di'anno joined), weren't they played off stage by the bass tech?

14 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Absolutely agree with this. The Cure were stuck with the Goth label for years even when playing very poppy songs. Americana seems to be the latest catch all label to apply to artists that can’t be pigeonholed with an existing label.

The Cure were being commercial though. Labelled as Goth because they looked Goth.

Long hair, loud guitars with a guitar solo is heavy metal. Judas Priest had short hair. 👍

My other 'discussion' about Heavy Metal went off the rails when my 'allies' decided Glam Metal isn't really Heavy Metal, much like how it went here with KISS.

I guess I will have to get over that some don't see Heavy Metal the same as me, but based on my experience in areas where Metalheads gather, we have similar opinions. There are obviously outliers that claim all Glam Metal is 'butt rock', which I find very 14-yo boyish.

I've almost always been about the substance & didn't care much about the image. What they Sound like makes the difference, not how long their hair is, if they have makeup, or wear leather.

I had to come to a similar impasse with my English friend who swears that The Ramones are not Punk, but The Stranglers are, LOL!

No amount of showing him Iggy & The Stooges will convince him Punk started in Michigan.