Why become a member? ×

Judas Priest's Rocka Rolla: Hard Rock or Heavy Metal?

Judas Priest's Rocka Rolla: Heavy Metal or Hard Rock?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Hard Rock or Heavy Metal?

• Heavy Metal
    • Hard Rock

6 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I'm not an expert, but I found an "Old Grey Whistle Test" version.

The photo evidence suggests hard rock:

image.png.94635735d6be6c6d10560e071e81f77a.png

(and to my inexpert ears I'd say it sounded more like hard rock)

Did you see that BBC programme over Christmas, they showed lots of footage from broadcast performances of heavy metal, had Budgie and all sorts. It was a real treat to watch. I think it was late on Boxing Day evening, or maybe after they aired Metallica at Glastonbury.. Anyway, it was great, they showed this Priest performance, I'm sure of it. 

I.M. just wrecked my love for them with their keyboard-infused stuff after Powerslave.

However, I thought Geoff Nichols used keyboards tastefully in Black Sabbath.

Looking at the credits for those I.M. albums states Guitar Synthesizer, I was sure it was actually keyboards, but anyway, I did NOT like it, at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I.M. just wrecked my love for them with their keyboard-infused stuff after Powerslave.

Looking at the credits for those I.M. albums states Guitar Synthesizer, I was sure it was actually keyboards, but anyway, I did NOT like it, at all.

Where do you stand on Motörhead with added piano?

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Robbo, the misfit:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRjFpQVJyakSY9PRiP-Zw

Lem wrote that he would turn up to gigs with ballet slippers on.

That quote surfaces every now and again and people tend to take it to the letter.

I met Robbo at the time he was still part of Motörhead. We staggered out of The Marquee Club in Wardour Street together and he was wearing his 'ballet shoes' then. Except they weren't ever ballet shoes, they were espadrilles. Lemmy took to calling them 'ballet shoes' and it stuck.

EDIT: Apparently he did wear a pink tutu and ballet shoes for one gig as a joke - just to wind up the Hell's angels - like you do 🙄

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

33 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I struggle with anything after Somewhere in Time. But I will add Kiss to the debate. How the he'll did they get into heavy metal circles? It's pop music!

Metal bands with keyboards is heading into prog rock territory. But then what are Van Halen? 😕

Edited by bode

1 minute ago, bode said:

add Kiss to the debate. How the he'll did they get into heavy metal circles.

This is sort of how I got into a long long 'discussion' on another forum about how FUBAR the identification of bands as Heavy Metal is, because people just label anything harder than The Beatles as Heavy Metal.

KISS had a Glam Metal period, but Dynasty & Music from the Elder should cancel any H.M. credit they're due.

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

they were espadrilles.

Was he also wearing Capri pants?

😀

I firmly believe it was the media's fault in the U.S. concert flyers featured the term Heavy Metal, even for a band like KISS (in the 70s).

I remember an interview with Page where they asked how he felt about Led Zeppelin being labeled Heavy Metal, he kind of shrugged & seemed reluctant to answer it was fine with him.

He was probably milling around the idea of a load of 'Heavy Metal' fans halting their purchase of L.Z. albums if he said L.Z. were NOT H.M.

The magazines back then were touting everything as Heavy Metal, Aerosmith, RUSH, etc..

• Like 1