Why become a member? ×

Going to gigs. What do you love or hate about it?

ubit

17 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I no longer enjoy the hustle and bustle of busy gigs to be honest. Though I can remember that it was part of the fun in my late teens / early 20's.

If I go to a busy gig now I will generally stand near the back and let the young ones get on with it. 

I do much the same. I try to get reasonably close to the desk so i can get a good sound. At one gig, I forget whose, I spent more time watching the sound and lighting engineers than the band.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

I do much the same. I try to get reasonably close to the desk so i can get a good sound. At one gig, I forget whose, I spent more time watching the sound and lighting engineers than the band.

I saw Joyo Mayers Nerve a few years ago, and was right next to their sound man, who is considered one of the band (I can't think of another band that operates like this) I went for the crazy drumming and stayed for the genius sound man. 

3 hours ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I was at an Anthrax gig some years ago. They hadn’t toured for a while and everybody was really amped up to see them again. There was a big pit for the duration of the set, it didn’t stop the entire time. I was right behind the row of those standing on the edge of the pit, which of course is like the wall you bounce off when you come flying out and go back in again. Some big guy was standing in front of me with a girl, looked like they were on a date. Every time someone came hurtling out of the pit and made contact with them, he got really agitated and began getting aggressive with people allegedly “bumping into his girlfriend”.

What an idiot, what do you expect if that’s where you going to stand? If you don't want to get bumped then you move back and blend into the crowd a little.

One unlucky guy ended up flying into him twice and the second time it happened, the guy grabbed him and threatened to punch his lights out if he crashed into him again. Like, how do you have any control over where the pit takes you. There was no point trying to intervene, there was no way to communicate with the sound so loud. The gig finally ended when some mosher came sliding across the floor at speed and his boot made contact with the girls ankle. I watched it happen - she hesitated and then dropped to the ground in a heap sobbing like she had suffered a footballing injury.

Fair to say that pair had an awful night out, whilst the other 1000 people at the show had a cracking time. Including me and my mate standing behind them, rolling our eyes.

I remember seeing something similar at a gig a few years back. Someone kicked off when they decided to walk through the middle of the pit, and subsequently lost both of their pints. After a bit of back and forth between said knob and the guy who'd hit him, someone else came out of nowhere, did a lovely ankle sweep takedown, told him not so nicely to remove himself from the vicinity and then disappeared silently back into the crowd.

Edited by LiamPodmore
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, LiamPodmore said:

I remember seeing something similar at a gig a few years back. Someone kicked off when they decided to walk through the middle of the pit, and subsequently lost both of their pints. After a bit of back and forth between said knob and the guy who'd hit him, someone else came out of nowhere, did a lovely ankle sweep takedown, told him not so nicely to remove himself from the vicinity and then disappeared silently back into the crowd.

Lol it was probably the same fella. It just goes to show, tools everywhere. Even at metal shows where the tool:normal ratio is exceptionally low.

I was at a Pantera gig once and somebody’s hands pushed me from behind, really really hard across the floor towards the pit. I was just standing watching the band, quite near the back. Because I wasn’t expecting it, I got a little bit of whiplash in my neck, it happened so fast and it really moved me a long way across the floor. Like, why would anybody do that? As a rule, I don't mind getting hurt at gigs, as far as I'm concerned, it means you're having a good time. But that was just knob behaviour.

• Sad 2

I respect if there is a mosh going on that if you don't want any part of it you stay away and let them enjoy it in their own way but at other gigs where everyone is just enjoying the band and standing watching or perhaps nodding along to the music and one knob starts pushing and shoving and trying to get a mosh going amongst 40-50 + year olds can be very, very annoying.

I realise I am getting older but I remember being part of the huge crush at Donnington in '87 when Guns n Roses played their set. My mate and I made our way right to the front and it was very scary as the crush was incredible. Two poor young lads lost their life that day and I witnessed stretchers and ambulance men being passed over the crowd towards the front. The papers would later print that emergency services had been stoned and harassed. Total rubbish as far as we saw. Everyone was helping those who fell. I remember in the crush one guy slipped beside us. Everyone helped to get him up and I heard this guy beside me saying that's my leg you've got. I was only trying to help but it was rather funny.

19 hours ago, stewblack said:

I really dislike big venues. Went to Cardiff to see a band once and had no sense of interaction with them.

I went to see steven Wilson at cardiff, I hadn't checked my ticket, but when I got there I realised I was in the front row, about 10 foot from the stage. Certainly had a sense of interaction

IMG_4560.thumb.jpeg.3962e951d3c99421f12b4faccef406d5.jpeg

However, I went to see Gary Numan at the O2 in Bristol (no way is that amount of people covered by a fire certificate)

IMG_5939.thumb.jpeg.bb9f69e1ee4d5d36414903995ad4b3b4.jpeg

Taken from the back as from where I was standing I couldn't actually breath and was having a bit of a panic. A guy collapsed upstairs on the side, it took 3 minutes for the paramedics to get through the crowd to get to him. I watched them going up the stairs, having become too detatched from enjoying the gig due to the crowd.

I had seen Wolf Alice there the year before and although crowded, it wasn't scary crowded, and it was a much better experience. 

I think I was a bit spoiled with gigs growing up. When there was someone playing at the Guildhall in Portsmouth, in front of the stage was heaving, but you could move back if you had too much and the bars were in side rooms so you could gather and chat, hear what the bar staff were saying, and discuss how bad the support were.

5 minutes ago, ubit said:

I respect if there is a mosh going on that if you don't want any part of it you stay away and let them enjoy it in their own way but at other gigs where everyone is just enjoying the band and standing watching or perhaps nodding along to the music and one knob starts pushing and shoving and trying to get a mosh going amongst 40-50 + year olds can be very, very annoying.

I realise I am getting older but I remember being part of the huge crush at Donnington in '87 when Guns n Roses played their set. My mate and I made our way right to the front and it was very scary as the crush was incredible. Two poor young lads lost their life that day and I witnessed stretchers and ambulance men being passed over the crowd towards the front. The papers would later print that emergency services had been stoned and harassed. Total rubbish as far as we saw. Everyone was helping those who fell. I remember in the crush one guy slipped beside us. Everyone helped to get him up and I heard this guy beside me saying that's my leg you've got. I was only trying to help but it was rather funny.

My first Donington was 1991, I had just turned 18. What a memorable day that was.

Check out this website, there are lots and lots of contributions from fans who were there that day in '88. Take some time to read them all. It makes for chilling reading though and all these years later, still raises goosebumps. I heard a bootleg recording after the event and you can hear the desperation in Axel's voice as he's screaming at the crowd to move back.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/donington-1988-vftmud.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

My first Donington was 1991, I had just turned 18. What a memorable day that was.

Check out this website, there are lots and lots of contributions from fans who were there that day in '88. Take some time to read them all. It makes for chilling reading though and all these years later, still raises goosebumps. I heard a bootleg recording after the event and you can hear the desperation in Axel's voice as he's screaming at the crowd to move back.

My old mind is wandering, '88. I thought it was '87. What a gig but what a tragedy.

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

From what I understand of the recent Download pilot festival (last weekend), the overall demographic was rather mature. Apparently, there was a leisurely walk round in a circle down the front of the stage during one band set, by those fondly remembering their days of circle pits whilst acknowledging that time had undoubtedly moved on 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

How this guy filmed it on the technology of the day in that crush I will never know but we ended up just about level with this guy but on Slash's side.

Just now, MHMSWC#03 said:

How did he manage to film that? There used to be strict rules about video recordings at gigs and recording equipment back then was super chunky!

I know! It must have been one of those big efforts you held on your shoulder. Hardly obscure.

Just now, MHMSWC#03 said:

Wow, you were right at the front! Someone was watching over you that day.

Believe me it was quite scary at one point and totally out of control. When you move four or five feet with your feet not touching the ground your heart is in your mouth. As I say, some people slipped and fell. You relied on those around you staying upright to hold you upright. Whenever anyone fell EVERYONE tried to help them as best they could. After that they capped the amount of people who could attend those massive festivals. I think there are big barriers nowadays. I haven't been back since.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

There are some sad & scary accounts in there 

• Like 2

I love going to metal, grunge and punk gigs. To be blunt, if you don't like pushing and shoving, you have no business being in the crowd. A gig where everyone stands still would be dull.

I hate big venues, they lose the energy of a small venue and I hate seats. There's nothing better than the combination of a band who can put on a great live show and a lively audience. The two give each other energy. My favourite gigs are ones which are just non stop, high energy playing and very minimal talking.

The best gig I've been to in recent years was High On Fire, it was an hour and a half of extremely good, extremely loud doom metal. 

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I love going to metal, grunge and punk gigs. To be blunt, if you don't like pushing and shoving, you have no business being in the crowd. A gig where everyone stands still would be dull.

You are obviously quite young. I still enjoy going to Metal, Grunge and Rock gigs. I  don't begrudge those down the front enjoying the gig as they want to but if I'm standing further back and someone barges me I get annoyed. I contribute as much to the atmosphere by bouncing around and clapping and cheering. I just don't like barging anymore.

Why should I be disallowed to go to Rock gigs just because I don't want to join a mosh pit? Many of these bands owe me as I have supported them since they began. The newer ones owe me as well as I might buy their music on the strength of their performance. They are there to entertain me not the other way around.

• Like 2

Away from the gig experience, I'll focus on the stuff I don't like.

If gigs are some distance, I hate the journey there and back.  Also, if the headliner is on for less time than the journey there, I make a mental note of that, too.

If it's a standing gig, at 6'4", I detest hearing people behind me saying they can't see.  I'm sorry, I'm tall.  Get over it.

People!  Stop talking or watching the gig through your phone. 

Also, to all the idiots that don't attend many live shows, the act of putting on a leather jacket and jumping into random people because 'that's what you do at gigs, innit?' needs addressing, because sir, 'If you knock my wife over again, I will punch you to the ground, you fecking asshat.'

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

If gigs are some distance, I hate the journey there and back.

We live 100 miles from Glasgow which is the nearest place where you will get a decent live band playing ( some have come here but not that many) so we always book accomodation rather than travel back and make a mini break of it. It means we only go to see bands we really want to see rather than turn up on a whim as I would if I lived in the city. When I was younger we used to travel down and back on the same night. When you have to go to school/work the next day that can be a bugger. These days we are more sedate.I remember being at school and going down to Glasgow on the train to see someone who I can't remember. We caught the mail train back which got in at 5 am then I had to go to school. It was worth it in those days.

18 minutes ago, ubit said:

We live 100 miles from Glasgow which is the nearest place where you will get a decent live band playing ( some have come here but not that many) so we always book accomodation rather than travel back and make a mini break of it. It means we only go to see bands we really want to see rather than turn up on a whim as I would if I lived in the city. When I was younger we used to travel down and back on the same night. When you have to go to school/work the next day that can be a bugger. These days we are more sedate.I remember being at school and going down to Glasgow on the train to see someone who I can't remember. We caught the mail train back which got in at 5 am then I had to go to school. It was worth it in those days.

Exactly. I lived in Birmingham which was great because just used to hop in the car with a bunch of pals and zip up to Nottingham or down to London for gigs dead easy. Often would see a band twice on the same tour. Gone are the days of rocking up in Camden and parking for free on the high street for a gig at the Underworld ..

• Like 1