Why become a member? ×

Detroit Rock City will be my undoing.

Sarah5string

We're covering this in our band and it's that one song that I can never get right. No matter how many times I practice, I can't do the little flair/fill in the verse consistently and because it's such a bassline heavy song it's really obvious when it's not right.

We've got a gig a week on Saturday and it includes Detroit Rock City.

AAAAAAAAAARGH

Play it at half speed. Repeat until it's perfect. Then increase a little, rinse and repeat. Soon you'll be playing it at slightly faster than the original; you can then play it perfectly at the normal speed. It can't fail. :friends:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

It's kind of a signature part isn't it, everything else backs off and you hear the bass come through with the verse lick.

Yea, plus in our covers band there's only one guitar, so if I fluff it up it sounds reaaaally obvious

7 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

A lot of those 70s Kiss basslines are really good. I know it's Paul Stanley / Ace Frehley on a couple but Gene generally was really on it back when he was still interested.

Yep, he was very tasteful. I'm a big fan (as if you didn't know ;) ). Here are a few of my faves from the 70's:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Great fun bassline.

Here's a quick youtube vid I uploaded a while back, may help? 

As with anything it's about playing it over and over again and building up speed. Good luck!

I take it you have your bass tuned down a half step? 

• Like 2

I made this video for you before I knew you were a 1/2 down, but the same finger will apply a fret up.

I thought I should put it as an unlisted video on YouTube, so that no one thinks I am sending dodgy videos.

Edited by Crawford13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, James Nada said:

More evidence that Gene Simmons is an underrated bassist.  

Definitely, we do I Was Made for Lovin You and there’s a lot of fills/runs in there that might not be expected.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Definitely, we do I Was Made for Lovin You and there’s a lot of fills/runs in there that might not be expected.

Paul Stanley actually played bass on that on the studio recording, though Gene obviously plays it live....

1 hour ago, James Nada said:

More evidence that Gene Simmons is an underrated bassist.  

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

A lot of those 70s Kiss basslines are really good. I know it's Paul Stanley / Ace Frehley on a couple but Gene generally was really on it back when he was still interested.

I think that it's quite cute that people think that he actually played on the original records! 

• Confused 1