Why become a member? ×

New EBMM Stingray Special Colours and Prices

Eldon Tyrell

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Thank goodness someone talks some sense on this forum - there is so much disinformation and frankly bull*hit in this thread that it's knee deep.

For instance what sort of idiot thinks EBMM just bolt machine made bodies and necks together with no human or even craftsman input? A tiny bit of research on the internet would show you how wrong that is.

It greatly pisses me off that this forum seems to totally get off on dissing manufacturers like EBMM and Rickenbacker in a big way - what's the more irritating is a great quantity of the input is verging on disinformation.

Why haven't the perpetrators of this thread not fu**ed off days ago and bought something that takes their fancy for a price that suits their pocket?

It seems the forum is partially stocked with serial moaners and negative people. Yes you do heartily pi*s me off folks - as you probably know I really like these basses and actually sympathise with the price issue - but it doesn't deserve some of the frankly idiotic posts above. Do the moderators not worry about serial disinformation and moaning? It seems not as they permitted a for sale thread entitled toilet seat bass - whoa surely not - Musicman dissing again 🙄🤔  Surprised if the advertising standards authority would respond positively to complaints they might receive about that..... 

Wow, wow, wow, from a Dr to a Dr, can we please keep it civilised in my thread? Please watch your language.

As far as I am concerned, I was just reporting facts. The EBMM Stingray Special 4 H I bought in October 2019 cost me £2099 (no discount, no reduction, no nothing. Full price!). The same bass (only difference: maple FB instead of ebony. BTW, isn't ebony even more expensive than maple?) costs now £2,749. So that is a whopping increase by £650. That's just a fact. The other issue I raised was the rather small price increase in the US vs the large one here in the UK. Again, not a misinformation but a fact. I have my theory why EBMM is doing it (protecting its home market, due to Covid restrictions) but I pointed out that this is my theory. Again, isn't that something BC is for? Come up with theories we can then discuss in a civilised manner?

• Like 2

Thank goodness someone talks some sense on this forum - there is so much disinformation and frankly bull*hit in this thread that it's knee deep.

For instance what sort of idiot thinks EBMM just bolt machine made bodies and necks together with no human or even craftsman input? A tiny bit of research on the internet would show you how wrong that is.

It greatly pisses me off that this forum seems to totally get off on dissing manufacturers like EBMM and Rickenbacker in a big way - what's the more irritating is a great quantity of the input is verging on disinformation.

Why haven't the perpetrators of this thread not fu**ed off days ago and bought something that takes their fancy for a price that suits their pocket?

It seems the forum is partially stocked with serial moaners and negative people. Yes you do heartily pi*s me off folks - as you probably know I really like these basses and actually sympathise with the price issue - but it doesn't deserve some of the frankly idiotic posts above. Do the moderators not worry about serial disinformation and moaning? It seems not as they permitted a for sale thread entitled toilet seat bass - whoa surely not - Musicman dissing again 🙄🤔  Surprised if the advertising standards authority would respond positively to complaints they might receive about that..... 

Oh dear, what a rude person you are. And rather a lot of pot calling the kettle black above to boot. Still, at least you’ve made your true feelings clear. I would continue this most interesting back and forth with you but I fear it might descend into obscen... oh, it already did. 

BTW, @drTStingray, I actually did buy something else for a price that suited my pocket. Look what arrived today 😉

389580085_GL.thumb.jpg.fa2cbb75473273e6cefb52399033c22d.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

It’s not Nino, it’s the Allleva Copollo basses.

I genuinely wouldn’t buy one because of it.

quoted the wrong post...but I know what I mean.

Aha thanks. I just spent aaages trawling Search. I knew it was one of the overpriced Super Jazz marques ;)

I'm not taking anything personally but was just a bit annoyed - I mean 328 replies - 7000 odd views on a thread that started by talking about new bass colours and soon morphed into a price increase matter in the UK. 

Lots of theories and lots and lots of replies from the same people (yes me included - I'm tarred with the same pot and kettle!!). 

Very nice bass @Eldon Tyrell - love the colour - congratulations. I personally can't get on with the pick ups on those G and L basses so prefer my MM Sabre. 

Btw FWIW I didn't say everything in this thread was BS by any means - but there appears to be a fundamental problem of some people understanding basic facts. Then we get the Basschat member's who have fixation key words and phrases - 'Sterling Ball', 'EBMM forum' - all we need now is 'John Hall', 'Stingray weak G string', 'Rickenbacker' - let's hope I haven't triggered any relapses here 🤔

And I do agree the prices are eye watering. 

Btw I'm a member of the Musicman bass forum - it's only a cult in so much any one brand forum is - ever tried one of the one model car forums? As you would expect, people tend to be focussed only on that brand or model otherwise why would they be there? And yes the car ones do round on people being very negative and unhelpful - same everywhere really. 

Edited by drTStingray

21 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Very nice bass @Eldon Tyrell - love the colour - congratulations. I personally can't get on with the pick ups on those G and L basses so prefer my MM Sabre. 

Thank you, @drTStingray. Much appreciated!

My next EBMM is hopefully the Stingray Classic for all my Chic/Bernard Edwards stuff. Would love to eventually get hold of a MM Sabre too. Hope EBMM relaunches them in the not too distant future (in natural finish of course ; -) One of my heroes, Louis Johnson (of course predominately known for his Stingray), played one as can be seen here:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Thank you, @drTStingray. Much appreciated!

My next EBMM is hopefully the Stingray Classic for all my Chic/Bernard Edwards stuff. Would love to eventually get hold of a MM Sabre too. Hope EBMM relaunches them in the not too distant future (in natural finish of course ; -) One of my heroes, Louis Johnson (of course predominately known for his Stingray), played one as can be seen here:

Best get saving, they’re terribly expensive these days, so I hear... 😉

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

It’s not Nino, it’s the Allleva Copollo basses.

I genuinely wouldn’t buy one because of it.

quoted the wrong post...but I know what I mean.

And I still don’t know what it is.....

😂
EDIT - Googled it, but am not really the wiser as I have no idea what it means...

Edited by 4000

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Each to their own, but I don’t see the attraction. Incredible value? Just browsing the web site I see a fairly ordinary Fender-a-like 4 string for $3250 featuring Hipshot/Nordstrand - and that’s their 2020 pricing! Would be interested to know what that works out to once it’s been imported. There’s a few other basses I would rather spend my money on and I would be more impressed if you wanted to support small builders in the UK rather than the USA. But hey, it’s your money.

The prices you’re quoting are his high-end models. His entry model starts at $2000, and for that money you get a quality “super Jazz” made to your specs. After shipping and tax, it’s roughly £2000. Yes it’s pricey, but again, how much is a Stingray? Or even a Fender Ultra? The latter is in that same ballpark, for an american made factory instrument. All of Valenti’s work is made at a small scale, with minute attention to detail, with quality pickups and preamps such as Aguilar or Nordstrand. 

Again, I’d be more than happy to make a UK builder work, but I’ve yet to find one that would do a bass that has the specs Valenti can get me. 
In Europe, I could go cheaper with Maruszczyk (I already have a 5 string from them), but still, it wouldn’t be the same specs/finish/shape/electronics than the Valenti. 

Anyway, we’re way off topic. 

3 hours ago, Ian McFly said:

The prices you’re quoting are his high-end models. His entry model starts at $2000, and for that money you get a quality “super Jazz” made to your specs. After shipping and tax, it’s roughly £2000. Yes it’s pricey, but again, how much is a Stingray? Or even a Fender Ultra? The latter is in that same ballpark, for an american made factory instrument. All of Valenti’s work is made at a small scale, with minute attention to detail, with quality pickups and preamps such as Aguilar or Nordstrand. 

Again, I’d be more than happy to make a UK builder work, but I’ve yet to find one that would do a bass that has the specs Valenti can get me. 
In Europe, I could go cheaper with Maruszczyk (I already have a 5 string from them), but still, it wouldn’t be the same specs/finish/shape/electronics than the Valenti. 

Anyway, we’re way off topic. 

No, for $2000 you get a limited set of standard options on the M21-J and I don't see anything special listed there. Anything above that you will be paying extra for.

I'm curious as to what Valenti can do that Shuker can't, but since you are unwilling to share the details of your 'super Jazz' it's impossible to comment further.

I do agree, we're now off topic, so I'll wish you luck and look forward to the NBD thread when you're done.

4 hours ago, Ian McFly said:

I don't know if this is still the case but for a while, Valenti was making his instruments out of off the shelf parts.  This is why his instruments were at the price point they were.  Ironically, this is the same way that Roger Sadowsky started (who Valenti also spent some time working for).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

BTW, @drTStingray, I actually did buy something else for a price that suited my pocket. Look what arrived today 😉

Nice!

They don't do the Stingray sound (which is great, as you can still justify getting one, not that any justification is ever needed ;) ) but they're awesome basses, and THAT one in particular, what a looker!!! I'm a little envious :) 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

No, for $2000 you get a limited set of standard options on the M21-J and I don't see anything special listed there. Anything above that you will be paying extra for.

I'm curious as to what Valenti can do that Shuker can't, but since you are unwilling to share the details of your 'super Jazz' it's impossible to comment further.

I do agree, we're now off topic, so I'll wish you luck and look forward to the NBD thread when you're done.

Shuker’s work is good, but I came across one recently (a friend has one) and I didn’t really like the feel of it. Anyways....

When it comes to instruments, there’s millions of options on the planet, some overlap with each other.... A Shuker might end up being in the same ballpark as a Valenti, I just prefer what I can get from Valenti, that’s all. Personal taste and choice. 

I was saying that the M21-J4 starts at $2000, and yes options are chargeable. But you mentioned a 3000+ instrument, which is not the case here. 

@Kev he started by building off the shelf Warmoth kits yes. Nowadays, he gets his necks and bodies built to order by a small factory (akin to Warmoth but much smaller), he then puts them together and does the finishing job. See it as a company with the building workshop being miles away from the finishing workshop. Nino might not build the main parts himself, he still delivers great custom instruments. 

15 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Getting the thread back to something more positive, that is indeed very nice. I had a G&L L2500 a while ago and it was quite versatile. It’s funny how companies that produce something akin to a Stingray don’t get it to sound anything like a Stingray, but you end up with a great bass in its own right. The L produced tones you really can’t get from any other bass. I’ve had a few Fender Dimensions - they’re not popular and tend to sell cheaply, but the US model is very nicely put together, easily the equal of a Stingray/G&L, and due to pickups and pickup placement sounds nothing like a Stingray! The great thing about MusicMan is that they produce very distinctive instruments - I’ve played many Fender copies that were in some cases far superior to the original, but nothing really has the same overall feel and sound of a Stingray/Sterling. Kudos is also due for having a stellar B string on the 5 with a 34” scale and great tuning in the low positions with the compensated nut :)

Edit: and I really wish they’d put the Big Al electronics into a bass, or bring the SSS model back.

Edited by FDC484950
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Getting the thread back to something more positive, that is indeed very nice. I had a G&L L2500 a while ago and it was quite versatile. It’s funny how companies that produce something akin to a Stingray don’t get it to sound anything like a Stingray, but you end up with a great bass in its own right. The L produced tones you really can’t get from any other bass. I’ve had a few Fender Dimensions - they’re not popular and tend to sell cheaply, but the US model is very nicely put together, easily the equal of a Stingray/G&L, and due to pickups and pickup placement sounds nothing like a Stingray! The great thing about MusicMan is that they produce very distinctive instruments - I’ve played many Fender copies that were in some cases far superior to the original, but nothing really has the same overall feel and sound of a Stingray/Sterling. Kudos is also due for having a stellar B string on the 5 with a 34” scale and great tuning in the low positions with the compensated nut :)

Edit: and I really wish they’d put the Big Al electronics into a bass, or bring the SSS model back.

Cheers. Yes, I know, it will be different from the Stingray but that's ok as I can then still get the Stingray Classic for my Funk and Disco stuff. I am always surprising my wife with all these new music genres that I am somehow getting interested in (Motown, Funk, Disco, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Prog, Metal, Grunge) 😎 

Anyway, I hope the L2K will be my Prog bass (esp. for Rush, Riverside, Karnivool and Tool. With regard to the latter, I've read somewhere that the L2K is the poor man's Wal. Well, there you go ; -). I also got this pedal to go with it. Hope to check it all out over the coming weekend:

YYZ.thumb.jpg.337ee69821b7856d8b7fae82a34de34f.jpg

• Like 4

Just watched this video on YT. Cool dudes. They discuss interesting topics but clearly don't follow a script (or only a very loose one ;- )

Anyway, my main takeaways:

"Be kind, for goodness' sake" and "Don't jump on the hate train" 

Nothing to add 😉

Finally some feedback from Thomann (after a friendly reminder). They mentioned that there will be fewer basses available with longer delivery times and higher prices. Well, looks like we are all in the same (EU-UK) boat. Looks like my theory is correct, EBMM is throttling international distribution and protecting its domestic market. Fair enough but I am definitely out now 😒

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Finally some feedback from Thomann (after a friendly reminder). They mentioned that there will be fewer basses available with longer delivery times and higher prices. Well, looks like we are all in the same (EU-UK) boat. Looks like my theory is correct, EBMM is throttling international distribution and protecting its domestic market. Fair enough but I am definitely out now 😒

Just so odd, guess sales in Europe must have performed badly over the last few years?