Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

19 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I think that’s a bargain. I’ve had to have a word with myself.

The late 70s Fenders that seem like  bargains at the moment are usually the ones that weigh a ton. Well, 10+ lbs at least.

I've done a fair bit of window shopping lately!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, miles'tone said:

The late 70s Fenders that seem like  bargains at the moment are usually the ones that weigh a ton. Well, 10+ lbs at least.

Weight doesn’t matter to me, strangely I don’t mind a heavy bass 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, miles'tone said:

4.1kg / 9lbs 2oz, it's ok.
My '78 is 8lbs 9oz, it's lovely.

4 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

For me, its value would depend on if it plays well and sounds good. From this era there was just as much rubbish as good.

Yep, I've owned two P basses from that period - one great, one pretty poor. The good one, I bought twice...! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I think that’s a bargain. I’ve had to have a word with myself.

Got a reply, All original apart from the brass nut which was fitted later, the nut measures at 44mm,

quite surprised at the 44, every 70s ones I’ve had and played have been 40-42 

Edited by Reggaebass

17 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Got a reply, All original apart from the brass nut which was fitted later, the nut measures at 44mm,

quite surprised at the 44, every 70s ones I’ve had and played have been 40-42 

The nut width would be a deal breaker for me I'm afraid. Mine are all around 41mm.

What are you thoughts Tony?

Rob

• Like 1

surely it depends on neck width and profile and actual spring spacing, the nut could be shortened if it's just a tad wider in profile or swapped for a bone one that is cut to suit the players preference - Leo designed the instruments to be serviceable

32 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

The nut width would be a deal breaker for me I'm afraid. Mine are all around 41mm.

I had a 57AVRI P bass with a 44mm neck and it was far from unplayable, it played really nicely in fact. It just made trying to get that Eb harmonic in Portrait of Tracy a bit more challenging...! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

What are you thoughts Tony?

Rob

Same for me too, I like the 38-40 ish, my AV62  P is 44 which is ok but I prefer slightly less 

12 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Same for me too, I like the 38-40 ish, my AV62  P is 44 which is ok but I prefer slightly less 

Given the choice, I would prefer a 41 neck, but I'm not too bothered. I'm taking a 5 string out to a gig tonight as a spare to the 78 P, so a 44mm neck isn't going to scare me too much! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, peteb said:

I had a 57AVRI P bass with a 44mm neck and it was far from unplayable, it played really nicely in fact. It just made trying to get that Eb harmonic in Portrait of Tracy a bit more challenging...! 

I had an amazing sounding '62 AVRI, the thing sounded like a grand piano. One of the best sounding basses I've ever had. I couldn't get on with the nut width. 

I'm not as young as I used to be and my left hand is getting a bit of arthritis, maybe it's that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ped said:

I’m starting to recognise quite a few basses which for one reason or another keep going back up for sale 🤔

The itch gets scratched… then the reality of the cost sets in? 
Was often my dilemma anyway when owning old gear and the prices went north. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

The itch gets scratched… then the reality of the cost sets in? 
Was often my dilemma anyway when owning old gear and the prices went north. 

A lot of vintage fender basses look cool but are a bit crap to play. They are still pretty much just as valuable as a very good player. I would expect those to be the ones you see repeatedly for sale.

I bought a while ago one that I knew had passed through several sets of hands, on here and elsewhere. I traveled to buy it, the price was good and I lost no money on it when I became yet another of its ex owners.

A lot of people also seem to have bought without trying these days - it’s so easy, convenient and tempting to “add to basket”