Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Looks like the 57 and 62 both had 250k pots , not sure about the cap though but a 66 I looked at had this cap

IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

I have that cap on my 63 jazz and have seen it on lots others ,there is also a brown/ reddish one,but I think for a 57 it should have one made of paper ,like a very small rectangular book

Edited by onehandclapping
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, onehandclapping said:

I have that cap on my 63 jazz and have seen it on lots others ,there is also a brown/ reddish one,but I think for a 57 it should have one made of paper ,like a very small rectangular book

Hmm, it seems that j-bass was intrudesed in 1960, so what is 57. year guy ?

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 1

On 30/09/2023 at 09:49, Reggaebass said:

Hi guys, what are you thinking on this , in need of cleaning and maybe some restoration as it’s been in storage for apparently 54 years 😧, what’s it worth and what would be the value once restored 

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/david-duggleby-scarborough/catalogue-id-srda10703/lot-0e92cae3-582c-4775-9521-b06600ee80cd

Made it on to the pages of Bass Player Magazine…

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/lost-fender-precision-bass-auction

• Thanks 1

On 30/09/2023 at 09:49, Reggaebass said:

Hi guys, what are you thinking on this , in need of cleaning and maybe some restoration as it’s been in storage for apparently 54 years 😧, what’s it worth and what would be the value once restored 

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/david-duggleby-scarborough/catalogue-id-srda10703/lot-0e92cae3-582c-4775-9521-b06600ee80cd

Looks like this sold for approximately £10.5k including fees. Let's see if it turns up at a dealer after a deep clean.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Looks like this sold for approximately £10.5k including fees. Let's see if it turns up at a dealer after a deep clean.

The fees in the sale room are lower at 26.4% so anyone bidding at the venue would have paid around £9,860. A bit of an advantage against online bidders. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Velarian said:

The fees in the sale room are lower at 26.4% so anyone bidding at the venue would have paid around £9,860. A bit of an advantage against online bidders. 

Didn't know that, thats a big difference and enough to buy a decent Fender Player.

Anyway, I'm not going to pay circa £10K for it. Somebody is taking a punt but good luck to them.

Rob

I did toy with the idea of going along to take a look at it. It would still have been a two hour drive though. I was thinking that in a worse-case scenario, if the neck was goosed and it needed a truss rod replacement, if it could be brought for well under £10k it would still be worth it.

In the end, I decided GAS was getting the better of me and avoided the temptation. Just as well really as I’d also spotted this almost new Trace Elliot Elf and 110 cab which went for just £220 + fees, around half the price of new. 😅

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/david-duggleby-scarborough/catalogue-id-srda10703/lot-ab75f8e3-2251-4e01-8997-b08b00f7bba7

My old jazz bass is for sale again.

https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/annonce-2220978

Important note: Neck and body are from different basses. Period correct though. Indian rosewood fretboard, no Rio.

Seller has decided not to mention this for a bigger profit.

Also he is using my pictures without asking....which always feels a bit weird. 

He says because he retired 2 years ago, but he bought it about 6 months back or so.... probably saying to create some feelings.

It's a really great Jazz Bass though, but it needs some honesty when listed.

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Further chat before blocking:

IMG_20231016_200432.thumb.jpg.d2a5a37dd7674ff7a0f595145e8f5609.jpg

I actually have a bit of experience in the vintage guitar market, I used to stand shows in the 90's and 2000's. Once a guitar is "outed", it stays outed, and this seller will have a lot to regret regarding his current stance/position with the guitar and his future reputation. He may actually be causing himself more trouble than he anticipates right now. It's a very small world, and this will not go unnoticed.

Rob

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Important note: Neck and body are from different basses. Period correct though. Indian rosewood fretboard, no Rio.

He says because he retired 2 years ago, but he bought it about 6 months back or so.... probably saying to create some feelings.

That’s rotten behaviour from the seller, and good on you for calling them out on it. Who knows, maybe they’ll have a think about it in their quieter moments and do the right thing and list it correctly?

What’s the story with the bass, how did the neck and body meet?! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Ah yes I saw that bass, that is the bass that you were initially also selling in parts, right? Pretty weird that you were being honest when selling it before and now this...another person trying to get the most out of a sale. Sigh.

• Like 1

I had 2 almost original and almost complete early '66 jazzes One had the amazing light body, and the other a superb thin neck that felt special to me (but on a way heavier body).

I know it would decrease the value but from a players view I decided to swap the necks (the original one on this body needed a little work on though) and make the ideal jazz bass. 

The idea was that I would keep it for ages, but things went different...

All in all it is a fantastic bass. When your looking for a vintage jazz, I don't think it gets much better. All parts are correct and it actually could have left the factory with this exact parts.

The "leftover" parts were indeed for sale too, I didn't part out this bass for sale though.

• Like 3