Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

9 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

… and if you really want to get into the detail and the nitty-gritty of Fender from the start through to 1970 then this is the place to look.

The depth of knowledge and level of detail is phenomenal (not to mention the fabulous images) - and it was certainly news to me that in the mid 60s Fender toyed with a ‘slant frets’ instrument (the ‘Marauder’)!

IMG_0472.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpeg

IMG_0474.jpeg

IMG_0475.jpeg

When you say slanted frets were they like fanned frets today? Just had a quick Google and the frets all look straight so I must be missing something. Cool looking guitar though!

43 minutes ago, ped said:

When you say slanted frets were they like fanned frets today? Just had a quick Google and the frets all look straight so I must be missing something. Cool looking guitar though!

Yes, they’re like the fanned frets of today, but not as angled, from what I can tell.

It’s difficult to tell from the pic on the page, but if you can manage to expand the pic and have a look at how the final/highest fret is positioned in relation to the end of the neck (angled and not parallel) you should hopefully be able to get an idea.

Let me know if not and I’ll try and take a better (more close up) pic… 

3 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

I keep toying with the idea of just selling everything gear wise and retiring to a nice vintage bass, a B15 and just noodle away pressure free at home.  This is the current ''this is the one'' bass

https://reverb.com/uk/item/72076949-fender-jazz-bass-1974

Been on for a few days now, I’m watching it but too far away for me to have a look , I reckon they might take an offer 

10 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

I keep toying with the idea of just selling everything gear wise and retiring to a nice vintage bass, a B15 and just noodle away pressure free at home.  This is the current ''this is the one'' bass

I really like that, and it's all '73 appointments too (tort guard and tug bar). If I hadn't found my '73 last week, I'd have been all over this one. I think the price is right too, you snooze you lose as they say.

Rob

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I really like that, and it's all '73 appointments too (tort guard and tug bar). If I hadn't found my '73 last week, I'd have been all over this one. I think the price is right too, you snooze you lose as they say.

Rob

I’ve read it fully now. Pickguard is not original, which is a shame. It could be that it was originally black and that there’s holes underneath for the thumbrest in the later position. It would need inspection. I thin the price is still not unreasonable though.

2 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I’ve read it fully now. Pickguard is not original, which is a shame. It could be that it was originally black and that there’s holes underneath for the thumbrest in the later position. It would need inspection. I thin the price is still not unreasonable though.

Im not remotely an expert on these things but when did Fender bring in the bullet truss rod on the 70's jazzes?  Was that later along with the 3 bolt neck plate?

3 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Im not remotely an expert on these things but when did Fender bring in the bullet truss rod on the 70's jazzes?  Was that later along with the 3 bolt neck plate?

Bullets and three bolt necks came in in ‘74, but you find both formats in that year. I think by ‘75 most if not all were changed over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Bullets and three bolt necks came in in ‘74, but you find both formats in that year. I think by ‘75 most if not all were changed over.

Yeah, don’t think I’ve seen a 75 with a 4 bolt neck plate , so 74 

1 hour ago, Pow_22 said:

I love to see the signs of wear on an old bass showing it has been played regularly through the years but sometimes they look like the previous owner(s) just couldn't care less for it. This one is borderline for me and some of the chipping around the body edge looks a bit "manufactured".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

1 hour ago, Pow_22 said:

Queen of doom !

9 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

My '73 P-bass is a 4 bolt one, but I've seen a few '73 Strats and Tele's that have 3 bolt ones. It's likely they changed the guitars first, with the bass following.

The Precision never ever got the three bolt / bullet treatment. It remained four bolt and adjustable at the heel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soulstar89 said:

75 fender jazz just up on bassbro. 
https://bassbros.co.uk/product/1975-fender-jazz-bass-3/

Found a PB70 which I may be interested in. Thing is the serial number is dated 1984-1987. The very first production of the pb70 was 1990. I’ve checked all catalogues. I’ve messaged will anyhow. 

I’m growing very fond of Bass Bros, they’re realistically priced. This is a great bass, albeit with some cosmetic issues, that is priced very well. It’s a ‘75 Jazz, all there bar the Badass bridge, decent weight, great looker, for a LOT less than the price of a secondhand Custom Shop. I know which I would be buying. 

• Like 1