Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

Alright let's not derail this thread any further (although I really enjoy all the VI talk). I'm going to take the 1970 Jazz to a gig tomorrow and the 1966 Jazz as a backup. I've never taken two vintage Jazzes to a gig (because I've always only had one) so I feel pretty fortunate.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, BassAgent said:

Alright let's not derail this thread any further (although I really enjoy all the VI talk). I'm going to take the 1970 Jazz to a gig tomorrow and the 1966 Jazz as a backup. I've never taken two vintage Jazzes to a gig (because I've always only had one) so I feel pretty fortunate.

Where is that gig again 🤔 you may need a minder

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

Nijmegen, so if you start driving now you might make it😁

I am starting to understand.......vintage Fenders are just like meth (Waddo knew it). Take one pill(one 74'jazz), can't stop from starting to count money every day, spotting the net for 62'jazz sales and on and on, till You.........

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Olympic white sounds 26% better than sunburst. Candy apple red is 42% better!

30 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Even I know sunburst sounds best :ph34r:

there’s a new sheriff in town!! 

IMG_0397.thumb.jpeg.5855f59a66b43c13471f4038f423a429.jpeg

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, walshy said:

I am now the owner of this killer ‘63 👌

I know shocker, I bought another P bass 😂

IMG_8073.jpeg

Shockers are all Waddo type. Ask him, but it is dangerous. Almost everybody who cantacts him, leavs blind or out of mind !

20 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a beauty, thanks for sharing, wasn’t that a custom colour back then, how does it sound and play 

Bog Standard Olympic White..Fab neck and excellent to play,

pups are a bit weak in comparrison to modern versions but the old girls over 61 years old and can still do the job

colour is a personal choice and makes no difference to the sound it produces IMHO 🙂

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, weezergeezer said:

Bog Standard Olympic White..Fab neck and excellent to play,

pups are a bit weak in comparrison to modern versions but the old girls over 61 years old and can still do the job

colour is a personal choice and makes no difference to the sound it produces IMHO 🙂

Fabulous jazz, I was only joking about the colour earlier on 😁, thanks 

On 15/07/2023 at 11:57, Reggaebass said:

You got some fabulous basses there, thank you for sharing, can I ask how would you compare the 63 and 64 , is there much difference 

It's a horrible rainy day here so I thought I'd do a comparison of my 63 (on the left) and 64 J's.

I cannot hear an output level difference between them. The 63 is wearing stainless vs nickel strings on the 64 which is evident in the slightly brighter tone of the 63.

The headstock of the 63 is 14mm thick against 15mm on the 64. Otherwise the neck profiles feel the same.

The body contouring of the 63 is cut very slightly deeper and feels relatively light weight for a J which is confirmed by my bathroom scales by approx half a pound at 9lb vs 9.4lbs for the 64.

If these were fitted with the same strings I doubt I could tell them apart blindfolded.

20230722_144828.thumb.jpg.b8178df3ff0abd390761704e5424cf66.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

It's a horrible rainy day here so I thought I'd do a comparison of my 63 (on the left) and 64 J's.

I cannot hear an output level difference between them. The 63 is wearing stainless vs nickel strings on the 64 which is evident in the slightly brighter tone of the 63.

The headstock of the 63 is 14mm thick against 15mm on the 64. Otherwise the neck profiles feel the same.

The body contouring of the 63 is very slightly deeper and feels relatively light weight for a J which is confirmed by my bathroom scales by approx half a pound at 9lb vs 9.4lbs for the 64.

If these were fitted with the same strings I doubt I could tell them apart blindfolded.

Bouth - Superb Dancing Queen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

The body contouring of the 63 is very slightly deeper and feels relatively light weight for a J which is confirmed by my bathroom scales by approx half a pound at 9lb vs 9.4lbs for the 64.

Thanks very much for that, those fretboards look really nice and dark , that’s two lovely jazzes to own 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1