Why become a member? ×

Factually incorrect lyrics

1 hour ago, ubit said:

In the popular song from a couple of years ago Copa Cabana, Barry Manilow sings "there was blood and a single gunshot but just who shot who?" Later he sings that Lola has lost her love. So we now know that Rico must have been shot or arrested therefore we do know who was shot or who fired the shot which makes the whole thing a bit ridiculous!

I'd always thought that Tony had been shot by Rico, although there is ambiguity about what happened to Tony (jailed, executed or shot dead). I'd always imagined Rico getting away with it scot-free, being the high-rolling gangster he was. The cad.

Edited by ahpook

3 hours ago, adamg67 said:

You've got wings of steel But they never really move you You only seem to crawl "

Maybe he is singing to an aeroplane that never gets clearance to move off the taxiway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ahpook said:

I'd always thought that Tony had been shot by Rico, although there is ambiguity about what happened to Tony (jailed, executed or shot dead). I'd always imagined Rico getting away with it scot-free, being the high-rolling gangster he was. The cad.

Clearly the detectives leading the investigation were inept to the end. Everyone at the club must also have sworn a vow of silence or maybe they were all so out of it that they couldn't tell who was dead but in the cold light of day a body would have been obvious. Maybe they couldn't identify the body and no one claimed it. It's all just a bit of a mess. Lola lost her love Tony so either he was lying on the floor having left this mortal coil or he was languishing in a South American jail. Either way, he was out of the picture and took no further part in the tale. Rico just sounds like a trouble maker and if he was shot then got what he deserved. Not that I am condoning violent gun crime of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubit said:

Clearly the detectives leading the investigation were inept to the end. Everyone at the club must also have sworn a vow of silence or maybe they were all so out of it that they couldn't tell who was dead but in the cold light of day a body would have been obvious. Maybe they couldn't identify the body and no one claimed it. It's all just a bit of a mess. Lola lost her love Tony so either he was lying on the floor having left this mortal coil or he was languishing in a South American jail. Either way, he was out of the picture and took no further part in the tale. Rico just sounds like a trouble maker and if he was shot then got what he deserved. Not that I am condoning violent gun crime of course.

Rico has, in my mind anyway, always been a gangster, there with his entourage. It was one of his gang who killed the lights and afterwards they made sure that "Nobody said nuffin'". Perhaps Rico even paid off the local police...

All this this from 3 verses. :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Rico has, in my mind anyway, always been a gangster, there with his entourage. It was one of his gang who killed the lights and afterwards they made sure that "Nobody said nuffin'". Perhaps Rico even paid off the local police...

I thought it was Harry Maguire.

I must pay attention...

24 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Yup, it all smells of corruption. Poor Lola and it's becoming clearer that it is indeed Tony who died as that is the only explanation for no one knowing who shot who as Rico is the only one with the clout to be able to lean on the witnesses. We should have this case opened again. It doesn't matter how long has passed. The law is the law.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubit said:

Yup, it all smells of corruption. Poor Lola and it's becoming clearer that it is indeed Tony who died as that is the only explanation for no one knowing who shot who as Rico is the only one with the clout to be able to lean on the witnesses. We should have this case opened again. It doesn't matter how long has passed. The law is the law.

A cold case....

....in the hottest spot north of Havana

🔎

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/07/2020 at 12:14, Woodinblack said:

" You've got wings of steel But they never really move you You only seem to crawl "

1 hour ago, ubit said:

Maybe he is singing to an aeroplane that never gets clearance to move off the taxiway.

Then that's factually incorrect also as aircraft never have wings of steel.  It's far too heavy.  Maybe that's why you only seem to crawl?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ahpook said:

A cold case....

....in the hottest spot north of Havana

🔎

14 hours ago, ubit said:

languishing in a South American jail.

Copacabana normally refers to Copacabana in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.  There are also towns of the same name in Bolivia, Columbia and Australia.  All of which are south of Havana, Cuba.  The song is actually referring to Copacabana night club in NY.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Copacabana normally refers to Copacabana in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.  There are also towns of the same name in Bolivia, Columbia and Australia.  All of which are south of Havana, Cuba.  The song is actually referring to Copacabana night club in NY.

Well thanks for clearing that up. 

• Haha 2

Great thread this, but I must acknowledge that a couple of my most favourite musicians, Sun Ra and Daevid Allen (Gong etc) claimed to originate from planets other than earth.

Factually incorrect, I'm sure, but it's never spoiled my enjoyment of their music.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manwithvan said:

Great thread this, but I must acknowledge that a couple of my most favourite musicians, Sun Ra and Daevid Allen (Gong etc) claimed to originate from planets other than earth.

Factually incorrect, I'm sure

I think that's a topic for a different thread altogether!

On 30/06/2020 at 21:32, tauzero said:

I would like to point out that, contrary to Jon Anderson's assertion, mountains do not come out of the sky. The last time that something similar happened was 65 million years ago, and that didn't turn out too well for the dinosaurs.

Um, as per the B-52's, we'll be here a long time with Yes lyrics 😊

1 hour ago, ricksterphil said:

.....and she's buying a stairway to Heaven

I think not, Amazon don't have a box big enough

I think you'll find Amazon always have a box twice the required size, but never one the right size.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ricksterphil said:

.....and she's buying a stairway to Heaven

I think not, Amazon don't have a box big enough

No doubt it comes in instalments. Like one of those Hatchette paperworks build the whatever. Starts up issue one is £3.00, then goes up. Ends up costing an absolute fortune!

• Like 1

I noticed some impossible animal related lyrics.

R.E.M. The Great Beyond. I'm pushing an elephant up the stairs . Come on Michael, really. I don't think you are that strong!

Stereophonics. I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio. If I had myself a flying giraffe, You'd have one in a box with a window. Giraffes walk, they can't fly. You'd need a huge box to hold one too. Kelly, you are having a giraffe!

Edited by mep

11 hours ago, mep said:

I noticed some impossible animal related lyrics.

R.E.M. The Great Beyond. I'm pushing an elephant up the hill. Come on Michael, really. I don't think you are that strong!

Stereophonics. I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio. If I had myself a flying giraffe, You'd have one in a box with a window. Giraffes walk, they can't fly. You'd need a huge box to hold one too. Kelly, you are having a giraffe!

I think actually Michael sings “... up the stairs....I’m pushing out punchlines that were never there”.  I don’t have the stomach to listen to rem so I shall consult my friend who is a walking REM wiki. He was once in an induced coma and I joked that I could get him out of it by saying something negative about “Automatic for the people”