Why become a member? ×

Factually incorrect lyrics

35 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Back to the true spirit of this thread...

Stevie Nicks, guilty of a degree of meteorological inexactitude when she claimed 'thunder only happens when its raining'.

Although obviously some things get repeated in time, and you often miss something in the many pages a thread runs, but that was litterally the original post :D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

Chip p!ssing alert.... :) 

I don't get his thread.  I get factually incorrect.  But here we are - 14 pages in yet hardly any of the examples are factually incorrect.  Mostly it is nit picking over words that are figurative or metaphorical.  Song lyrics do this.  Kind of like poetry.  If all songs ever said was literal it would be like listening to Janet and John books to music.  Or Motorhead. 😉

OK, carry on.

I think it’s just a bit of fun and not meant to be taken literally. 

25 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Although obviously some things get repeated in time, and you often miss something in the many pages a thread runs, but that was litterally the original post :D

LOL! I actually read that...

Well how about The Lion Sleeps Tonight...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Back to the true spirit of this thread...

Stevie Nicks, guilty of a degree of meteorological inexactitude when she claimed 'thunder only happens when its raining'.

In the same song she asks if you've ever seen a woman taken by the wind.

Why... no Stevie.  Women tend to be quite furtive about their farts.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It's only a matter of time until the puns start...

Apparently there isn't a lot of room for them in the Bad Jokes thread.

43 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

It's only a matter of time until the puns start...

Apparently there isn't a lot of room for them in the Bad Jokes thread.

Unlike most of the quotes in this thread, when Neil Young said "now I'm livin' out here on the beach, but those seagulls are still out of reach", it was littoraly true.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Unlike most of the quotes in this thread, when Neil Young said "now I'm livin' out here on the beach, but those seagulls are still out of reach", it was littoraly true.

Wow, just Wow.

And the way Walken says Wow

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

👏  Well played, indeed.

• Thanks 1

Obviously he couldn't have known, so it's hardly his fault, but Elvis Costello claimed "...when they finally put you in the ground, I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down".

Unfortunately for the accuracy of his lyrics, Thatcher was cremated.

7 hours ago, Paul S said:

Chip p!ssing alert.... :) 

I don't get his thread.  I get factually incorrect.  But here we are - 14 pages in yet hardly any of the examples are factually incorrect.  Mostly it is nit picking over words that are figurative or metaphorical.  Song lyrics do this.  Kind of like poetry.  If all songs ever said was literal it would be like listening to Janet and John books to music.  Or Motorhead. 😉

OK, carry on.

One one hand, you are right.

On the other hand -  let's not let the facts (or indeed what was asked for in the original post) get in the way of a good thread.

2 hours ago, Nibody said:

I have to say no matter how many donut shops Ive been in or seen featured in film and telivision I have yet to see all the cops in a dounut shop walking like an egyptian.

You ain't been to Cairo. They all do there.

On 13/07/2020 at 17:22, NickD said:

Obviously he couldn't have known, so it's hardly his fault, but Elvis Costello claimed "...when they finally put you in the ground, I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down".

Unfortunately for the accuracy of his lyrics, Thatcher was cremated.

And luckily for Elvis, she wasn't buried at sea.

• Haha 1

When Springsteen sang "You can't start a fire without a spark" he was displaying an absolute lack of understanding of auto-ignition temperature, pyrophoric substances and the basic mechanism of lighting a match.

Non safety matches ignite due to the friction generated overcoming the activation energy of the highly unstable phosphorous which then spontaneously combusts, and its this that creates the spark.  It isn't the spark causing the flame.

• Like 4

On 15/07/2020 at 07:57, Nibody said:

I have to say no matter how many donut shops Ive been in or seen featured in film and telivision I have yet to see all the cops in a dounut shop walking like an egyptian.

Maybe not , but I've heard them all say "waaay Oh, aaay oh" 

23 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

According to the Jacksons ABC is as easy as 123.

This completely disregards the fact that many people find numerical tasks simpler than language tasks (or vice versa).

Indeed; my brother-in-law (who is dyslexic) and my friend from music college (who is Dyscalculic) would argue this point at length.